GranTurismo S debuts at Geneva | Page 3 | FerrariChat

GranTurismo S debuts at Geneva

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by isuk, Feb 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Trivial, inconsequential, differences when standing between one of each.

It's a big gorgeous luxury four-seat coupe, not by any measure a "sports car".

We looked at Lotus' Elise yesterday, as well; that's a "sports car".

2. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    It's true, to truly progress and become a successful company in the long term Maserati must be managed by capable, internationally-minded experts that are not bound to the shackles of internal Fiat Group politics, i.e. Montezemolo must have the balls to assign the best people to Maserati and to give them complete freedom of action - do they need a 500 HP V12? They get it. Do they need to develop a lightweight body? They can do it. Do the people at Ferrari start screaming that these Maseratis are too fast? Screw them.

MONTEZEMOLO listen to this - Maserati will NEVER be a true global contender if it is not FREE to develop its marketing and product portfolio strategy INDEPENDENTLY from stupid internal Fiat political crap.

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think the styling tweaks looks great but must be honest when our local maserati importer told me only 440 bhp I was slightly dissapointed though it seems a new vastly improved Cambio Corsa gearbox might make up for the modest power increase....Developement of the spyder is far advanced and deliveries here are expect early in 2009....or so I am told.

4. UAE 599 gtb

UAE 599 gtb Rookie

Dec 25, 2007
    UAE, Dubai
    Guys I need a help ?

I got my Maserati grantourismo, but when I recived info about the S I told them that I don't want it and I changed to a Maserati GTS.

any idea if they are going to get another version then the GT and GTS ?
    plez help !

5. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA

Yes, there will be more variants of the GranTurismo in the coming years.

Joe

6. UAE 599 gtb

UAE 599 gtb Rookie

Dec 25, 2007
    UAE, Dubai
    More info PLEZZZZZZZ?

7. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    You're at Al Tayer right? All you need to know is how to talk with the people there. Tell them that you want to be the first people to get the GTS there. There will be a spider out sooner or later, so tell them that you already want to secure it. It's only a talk with the dealer that makes you get cars before other people.

8. UAE 599 gtb

UAE 599 gtb Rookie

Dec 25, 2007
    UAE, Dubai
    I already have booked the first GTS but, do you have any info if they will get any other model ?
    gt, gts, and the spider or any more ?

9. JGT

JGT Karting

Feb 18, 2006
    Spain
    spider will be out early 2009 but no info on motors nor transmission. 4 seater and rumours are soft-top

10. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    drop top + 4 seats = Cabriolet :)

11. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Indeed.

The S is going to be a waiting list model like all the Ferraris except for the 612. To me, that is the goal. Right now, there isn't anything that combines the beaty and performance and spaciousness of the S within $75,000 of it, up or down the price-scale. The M3 and 3-series coupe come the closest and are very handsome with the M3 performing perhaps as well and maybe better. (Stat freaks feel free to chime in here) But the GT is in another league is terms of beauty and presence. Only the 612 is better in performance and interior space but it's not nearly as beautiful. It's another homerun from LDM's team.

Electronics and advanced materials like CF are making the definition of sports car very blurry and grey. The 599, 430 and Porsche Turbo are all extreme sports cars but very, very comfortable daily drivers and GTs. Even the Porsche GT3 could be used daily from what I understand. The 612 and now GT-S, can seat four people yet offer performance previously unavailable to anything but the most hard-core 2-seaters.

By the same token this allows certain cars, like the Elise, the Cayman and the Lambos, as well as the super-exotics like the Zonda, the Carrera GT and whatever Ferrari makes, to be more focused than ever.

Today, more than ever, you can have your cake and eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Who cares what you call it?

Forza,

Cavallini

12. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Hi Folks,
    I am seeking nice pics from the Maserati Geneva Show-stand. Anybody?

Ciao!
    Walter

13. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
  14. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
  15. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I saw the car in Geneva yesterday and was a little underwhelmed by it. You have to look pretty hard to notice the reprofiled rear trunk lip and the new skirts just didn't look right to my eyes when viewed side on. They are at odds with the flowing lines of the car and look like an afterthought IMHO. Two things really struck me about the car but in the wrong way - the large single oval tailpipes and the alcantara seat inserts. Porsche fit both items to their base models yet Maserati have fitted them to the range topper. Maybe I've just been accustomed to Porsche for too long but they didn't give either a sporty or upmarket feel to me. Make up your own minds when you get to see a physical car.

16. jlspeed29

jlspeed29 Karting

Nov 30, 2007
    The Golden State
    I saw a beautifull blue one today @ SCS...although it struck me as verrrrrry similar to the 599 F-car......you can really see how it got its styling

17. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops
    The car will have a presence over the standard similar to the GranSport over the Coupe. If you look at the entire situation, it is very simular to what we saw in 2005. The GS had only minimal hp and performance gains over the Coupe, stiffer suspension, sportier interior, beefier exhaust and offered only with the F-1. The exact changes that the 'S' has over the standard. Many will not find value in upgrading to the 'S' being that it will have a premium with minimal aesthetic and performace gains and will not have the ZF tranny. The Spyder will be a different story and will diversify the brand well.

But for some it will be the 612 half off and with a decent warranty.

18. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I just looked at one today in the park ave showroom in nyc... looked cool, but not very different

19. Dilancer

Dilancer F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dilan B.
    Yeah, it doesn't look that much different to me either.

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    its nice but mb amg sl with 500 hp and is convertible too. same with bmw m6. jag xkr is also gorgeous, great value, and available in convt. aston martin v8 is a little small but the db9 is not that much more $.

maser is the new kid on the block in usa and has to offer much more than its competition. the s should be the base model and sell for about $115k. this will not get the desired market penetration even though its a nice gt car

21. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    It's going to be a 2-seater from what I've heard.

Sadly.