Great Day, ended bad... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Great Day, ended bad...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by djastral69, Mar 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Unless you can drive like Alonso, Massa et al why would anyone turn off the traction control????

You can leave the traction control on and have the illusion that you are a better driver than you really are

Or

You can take the traction control off and prove that you are nowhere as great as you thought. BTW this could be a fatal mistake. Really.

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just to be clear. It was DRY according to the OP. This was a municipal airport runway!!! The moral of the story, don't out drive your talent. The only thing he needed to do to avoid crashing was.... Ready for it....

Go slower. ;)

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    And to add to the other points already made here... When you add HP ( Top Speed ) you really need to add on to the other parts of the car as well... ( better brakes ) suspension upgrades to handle the increased downforce, tire speed rating, etc.

Texas Mile was another example, where most adhered to that policy...

There are several examples out on YouTube that shows what happens when you don't
    ( Higher speed rating on tires as one example )

Good to hear the driver was ok, though he'll be known as " That Guy " for a while I'm sure.
    S

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Glad to hear he has plenty of disposable income. ;)

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #55 4th_gear, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    I agree with RBK. I used to race "other things". You must work your way up before you actually start racing.

On a new circuit you must make test runs before you try to nail one. You should never try anything like this without testing the circuit at lower speeds and work up to your own limit, especially in an unfamiliar car. The most effective way to race is to do it second nature and you can't ever do that without practice. You must know your car, second nature. Otherwise, it's just a silly stunt, not a race and if you place well it's pure luck, not skill.

I also think there should be markers alongside the circuit to let you know how close you are to the end. So if you do the proper calculations, know your brakes and make some dry runs, you shouldn't ever run out of road except for mechanical failure.

There's also the breaking-in period for a new car - never a good idea to try these stunts in a new car. The engine and tranny will not break-in properly, handicapping their potential. Engines should gain a bit of power when properly broken-in. Otherwise, they can lose power and wear out faster. Racing teams can afford to "throw away" an engine after a race - most people can't.

6. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy
    UGR cars should come with driving lessons.

7. Mugatu

Mugatu Karting

Apr 8, 2012
    Yep, basically this. Seems like he was trying to see how fast he could get it, but didn't realize braking distance is exponential rather than linear.

62mph-0 is about 100ft
    124mph-0 is about 410ft
    200mph+ to 0 is about 1200+ ft.

Seems like he got it up to speed but didnt realize he needed 1200+ feet to brake and went off the runway into the bushes.

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Proving once again that the right foot is man's SECOND dumbest appendage. :eek:

9. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    He is going to need a little more income the extra insurance premium for this accident. ;)

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not right foots fault but the thing between his ears.

Pete

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #61 Hawkeye, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX

Would insurance pay out on this?

13. radix

radix Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    You are right, but even those numbers are very aggressive - a perfect 1G stop from 200 is more like 1350ft - using a gentle apply to begin the braking and a firm but not absolutely at the limit deceleration of say .7-.8G you end up at more like 1800+ feet - a third of a mile.

Were there really no markers to aid the drivers in determining the required breaking zone ? - IMO they should have provided at least a 1/2 mile decel zone if these were the speeds expected.

14. LTL

LTL Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    Leon
  15. Mugatu

Mugatu Karting

Apr 8, 2012
    Yeah totally, my numbers were aggressive (with warmed brakes/tires, dry pavement, etc.) more realistic for me would be like 2k feet to stop at that speed, since I value my well-being too much to just slam the brakes :)

"the airstrip where the event was held was just 0.56 miles long."

wow

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Something hit right at the driver, looks almost like a bird strike, that windshield?

Or debris as it went into the woods, maybe...hope they are okay??
    That's used all the way up....sad.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Unless a crosswind drags you into the cactus, at the Texas Mile....

18. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Same car I believe.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClgJpUn4awk]Twin Turbo Ferrari 458 Italia by Underground Racing!! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PPBrQ5O76U&feature=fvwp&NR=1]Underground Racing Twin Turbo Ferrari 458 Italia vs 2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 - YouTube[/ame]

19. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Glad nobody was hurt though.

Hopefully - lesson learned.

PDG

20. mooney1el

mooney1el Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    I just registered here to correct a misconception. This did not occur on the Fernandina Beach Municipal Airport (FHB) which is on Amelia Island. It occurred at the Nassau Airport (83FL) in Yulee, which is a privately owned airstrip.

Sincerely,

Richard Gray

21. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I doubt that "racing" is a covered peril on any policy.

22. Sgt93

Sgt93 Karting

Jun 11, 2011
    Gorgeous, one of my top color choices, it's too bad. And of course it made Yahoo news as well.

23. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    What he said...

24. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The listed runway length is indeed only 3150 ft. For comparison the NHRA and IHRA list a minimum drag strip length of 4,000 feet Top Speed Motorplex: Phase 4: Design Dimensions - Drag Strip Requirements While the TT 458 power to weight ratio was not in funny car territory, it didn't have a parachute either. So a quarter mile run or a little more to touch about 150 mph would have been safe. It would have been tempting to overdo it.