Great Day, ended bad... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Great Day, ended bad...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by djastral69, Mar 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting.

Did the organisers make the participants aware of this? ... I won't say anymore other than a guy died in Australia in this sort of event and the organisers were taken to court ... etc.
    Pete

2. Kevins93cobra

Kevins93cobra Rookie

Oct 31, 2007
    Damn, that was such a beautiful car too. :(

3. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    It seems like the event with such a short runway wasn't planned out too well and the driver also got in over his head.

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The primary goal of driving a car any time should be to get to your destination return home SAFELY!

Everything else is secondary. Really.

5. RufMD

RufMD F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 31, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Happen to know the driver...one of the nicest, kindest and down to earth friend one could know...and a family man who I know is thankful to be home intact with his family.

Lots of judgement being tossed around, but the fact remains this was a speed event arranged off the streets and no other folks were even remotely endangered.

This friend has driven more 1000hp cars than you know, and has hours of seat time in his race prepped porsche 911 track car....someone I consider an excellent driver.

Stuff happens, even the best drivers have an off sometimes. Cut the gent some slack.

6. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree completely, I had the pleasure of meeting the gentleman as well. He is a very nice person and this is exactly what it is, an accident. Per the vehicle....it's unfortunate.

7. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Important to place in perspective. It can happen to any of us. Best

8. radix

radix Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    Since you introduced the topic, and in the interest of us getting the correct learning from what happened, why not enlighten us to more of the specifics of how this event was run and what appears to be the issues that lead to this outcome ?

For sure, accidents happen to the best of us - heck who hasn't had something bad happen and after the fact had all observe (including ourselves) - "he should have known better!"?

And I would hope all would agree that if you are planning on driving a vehicle at its limit - you will at some point exceed it and lose control.

Yet in light of all of the above it is perfectly understandable for all of us to seek explanations of how this driver approached demonstrating this cars limits, how the event was organized to allow people to experience their cars, and what mistakes occurred.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You're kidding, right?

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    You and I never got this memo:
    On the interwebs you are guilty until proven innocent.

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    It can. The utility of trying to analyze what happened is that it might reduce the chance that it will happen to anyone else; that is, one of us.

12. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    #87 LamboRider, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    and the news report claimed it was his third speed run.
    Perhaps a few more days of ownership and driving would have given him a better feel for the car and prevented this?
    Just glad that all walked away.

13. kcw10

kcw10 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    As some have suggested, I'm sure he was a nice gent. As others have stated, he is lucky to be alive. As all will agree - that was one hell of an automobile. But, there are, as occurs on blogs from time to time inaccuracies as stories are told and retold. First – the driver made one pass – not three. Second – the run occurred at a private airstrip, not at an airport. Third – this was not an “event”. It was a gathering of automobile enthusiasts in a private setting. Friends who enjoy viewing the wonderful automotive creations of man – AND – getting out there and driving same. There were approximately 35 automobiles of all makes and models that made “runs” that day. Auto’s that span the gamut from an Enzo to a hopped up dune buggy. From a rail dragster to purpose built GP racecars. From a Ford GT 500 to a Dodge Charger Super-Bee. A street legal (just barely) split-window Vette drag car. A Nissan GT-R. 5 different variants of Porsche’s. Vipers, Vetts, Volkswagans. Name a performance car manufacturer – one most likely made a run that day. There was even a NASCAR Cup car there! And what a wonderful day it was! The drivers of all cars previously mentioned had one thing in common – besides a love of automobiles - each took the time to make a run at a reasonable speed. To take notice of the surface conditions. To make a mental note of their surroundings. To get a feel for their car on THAT day – as they change based on the conditions. To turn around and make another run. A run that may have been at a more aggressive pace – but not to set some sort of record. Those runs were to allow brakes to warm up; tires to come up to pressure and temperatures to rise to levels that allow engines, transmissions and drive trains to perform as they should without doing damage. In short, to ensure everything is as it should be. Then, and only then would they once again turn around and potentially – based on where they were and what they had available to them – begin the "Thought Process" required to even contemplate “pushing it”. One driver in particular stands out. He too drove a 458. Normally aspirated – but a 458 no nonetheless. His first pass was almost boring – but wise - and with each of his next SEVEN passes, his confidence in cars capability on that particular surface on that particular day grew. And with each pass, both his and his cars performance increased. His final pass was at what most would consider the limit for that day. It was flat-out Awesome! The sound of that beast thundering down with runway was truly something that would make any person with an ounce of testosterone stand and take notice – and well over 700 feet of surface remained when his trusty steed came to a halt. He could have given his ride a healthy dose of spurs and pushed it further. He could have gone faster. He knew, however, that the only “trophy’ waiting for him as he tossed the reins over the hitching post was the internal satisfaction of letting his stallion gallop and breath and stretch its legs like it was designed to do – not just lumber along some stately highway penned in by regulations as is usually the case. His run was to be the last of the day. A tip of the cap. A wonderful tribute to man and his automotive creations ………. until another 458 rolled up. A twin turbocharged 458 right out of the barn with a rider who had yet to make a run. A driver who – unlike most others that began at the threshold of the runway – took the time to back up along the runway runoff in order to give himself an additional 300 feet and lengthening the total surface to approximately 3,400 feet. 3,400 feet seems like a long distance, but it’s a distance that is consumed at some 220 feet per second when traveling in the 150 mph range (assuming my math is correct). Look at the speedo – 220 feet goes by. Look again – another 220 feet. Look one more time – and almost 20% of the available surface is in the rear view mirror. No one was in the car with this gent. No one but he knows what occurred. What is known is that he staged a cold car at the very limits of the available space and on the VERY FIRST run let a 700+ horse-powered beast loose. I feel truly sorry for him. I feel his loss. I am extremely happy that he continues to reside on this side of the grass. But this, as posted on this blog, had nothing to do with “braking cones or posted zones.” No number of “sand traps” would have stopped this. Many fine cars ran that day. All but one drove their cars home in the same condition in which they arrived – minus some rubber, brake pads and fuel. All drivers took the time to get familiar with their car, the surface and their surroundings – all but one.

14. HIRISC

HIRISC Rookie

Aug 11, 2007
    MSP
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Exhausting, though pertinent read.

**** happens. Next.

15. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    #90 djastral69, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    That was Defintiely a read but infinitely a culmination of what most of us have said. At the end of the day, if he had just 1/4 mile more road this conversation wouldn't have happened.

Obviously this isn't the first accident of its kind but I think at the end of the day we are all compassionate as to care of the persons well being and Damn, what a nice car to lose!

Per the insurance and paying it, it'll be covered as I had spoken to my buddy who is a State Farm owner. He stated unless there's a clause of some kind, it's covered.

I myself had a drunk driver run me off the road which resulted in $73k worth of damage to an exotic of mine....it was all covered by my insurance company, State Farm.

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Strikes again.

The older I get I realize the price of being too careful is alot less than being too careless. :cool:

17. M Baker

M Baker Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2010
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A parachute may not be a good idea on a street car because of how it can upset vehicle dynamics at high speeds.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1NU6xjTSY]Underground Racing Twin Turbo Gallardo Crashes At 200+MPH Texas Mile - YouTube[/ame]

18. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Two comments. The need for a parchuste illudes. The lenghty explanation made a signficant point, don't be in a hurry to be in a hurry. Best

19. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    I knew that video was going to show up!.....Lol

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well said.

22. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    What was the matter with regular brakes and enough space to stop?

23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Seems like EVERYBODY ELSE had enough space to stop. Just sayin. :cool:

24. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
  25. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Sounds like failures on many different levels led to this unfortunate accident. Thankfully the driver is all right.