Great independent mechanic in Dubai for all things exotic | FerrariChat

Great independent mechanic in Dubai for all things exotic

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by jpmondalek, Feb 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    Hey guys,

As some of you recall, I shipped my Maserati Gransport to Dubai from Boston. I quickly got turned off by the local dealer when I inquired about getting my clutch swapped (quoted me AED 23k!!!) and vowed to take my business elsewhere.

After doing some research and speaking with one of the local editors for CAR Middle East, who is running a 348 project car (saved from a scrap yard! see below) I discovered Max Garage in Al Quoz:

http://www.carmiddleeast.com/article-7-219-ferrari_348_ts_restoration

I have since referred another local Maser owner to them to do a prop shaft swap and Larini exhaust install and they did a perfect job for a fraction of the dealer's quote. When I visited them, they had a Testarossa, 2 355s, 1 348 (the project car), a Mondial, and they were doing some gearbox-related work to a 612! The garage was littered with quirky sports cars including an "Elanor" Mustang, a TVR, old school Vettes, old Rolls Royces, Alfas, and the owner's 2 classic Jags.

If any of you on here have an exotic car that is out of warranty, I couldn't make a stronger recommendation.

Vijay is the owner and a total car nutter! Two thumbs up!

http://www.maxgaragedubai.com/garage-aboutus.aspx

- JP

2. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    My friend Sultan had his Testarossa serviced there, it may have been the one you saw in the shop?

In fact its due back in the shop on Saturday to have a misfire sorted out!!

Regards,
    Phil.

3. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    Is his a white first gen TR?

The one I saw was straight out of Miami Vice! :)

4. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Hi,

No, Sultan`s Tr is Red with black leather, at the garage now awaiting a new coil pack!!

I have been told that The White Tr needs a fair bit of work?

Regards,
    Phil.

5. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    I didn't ask about the White TR, but the plates were from Abu Dhabi. Looking at the photo I snapped on my phone, it is not an early first gen TR (1 side mirror) but a later model (though not the 512TR).

One day I will gain the courage and consider adding a 6-spd manual 355 spider to accompany the GS. I will talk to Vijay at Max to understand the economics of maintaining one at his shop....I remember in the US being warned about $8k belt changes every 15k miles! :S

6. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    What kind of TVR was it? Any pics?

7. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    Cerbera...no pics unfortunately.

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Pretty cool. What colour? And what's wrong with it? What type of motor (4.2, 4.5, or Speed Six)? For sale? :)