Great pilots | FerrariChat

Great pilots

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ryan S., Jan 20, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Sinnerman, BJK and jcurry like this.
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Simulators, especially for a fully electronic flight control and dynamically unstable aircraft, were not so robust back then;)

Ryan S. likes this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Bob Hoover-- best stick and rudder man of all time.

4. Ffinally

Ffinally Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Neil Anderson, also of General Dynamics. Not only accomplished the YF-16 belly landing so carefully that the aircraft was repaired within 2 weeks, but pioneered the F-16 airshow routine that got so much attention on the capabilities of the airplane. And truly a gentleman!
    neal anderson general dynamics - Google Search

Ryan S. likes this.
  5. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Captain Eric Brown

jimshadow and boxerman like this.
  6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Al Haynes, United 232

7. Chindit

Chindit Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2008
    Navarre, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick P.
    kylec likes this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Jackie Cochran
    Neil Armstrong

donv, Rifledriver and Ryan S. like this.
  9. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    Frank Tallman
    Paul Mantz
    … although both killed in aircraft accidents.

Whisky likes this.
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I knew Paul Mantz briefly and had many long chats with him about his flying days. He said that one of the worst was Amelia Earhart, he was her technical advisor, she never listened to anybody. Jackie Cochran relied on feminine intuition more than technical advice. I performed in shows with Bob Hoover and Chuck Lyford and they were two of the best as far as I'm concerned.

pdxjim488, donv, tritone and 2 others like this.
  11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Probably one of the best, who most have never heard of, is Eric Gennotte. He was the Captain of the DHL Airbus which suffered a total hydraulic failure (all systems) after being hit by a missile just after takeoff from Baghdad. With just power and rudder, he managed to bring the airplane back to a successful landing-- the only damage resulting from when they ran off the side of the runway (no nosewheel steering or brakes).

pdxjim488, Boomhauer, tritone and 3 others like this.
  12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    tomkatf and Texas Forever like this.
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    ‘Miracle on the Hudson’ pilot Captain “Sully” Sullenberger

In his own words

14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    My wife is a great pilot. She's never done heroic things that made the news but she's gone her entire career, from soloing at 16 to the Air Force to a FedEx pilot, back to private pilot without once scratching as much as the paint on a plane. The newspapers didn't have to spell her name right and she's not on the talking circuit like some "hero" pilots are, but she's still the best pilot I've ever known.

Ak Jim, sigar, tantumaude and 11 others like this.
  15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You have to include him for sure but one contemporary that I overlooked is Capt.Kristin Wolfe, USAF. She put on a show here in the Seattle SeaFair Celebration in an F35 that was absolutely masterful. She formated with a P-51 that required some extremely competent thrust and control management plus here own routine. Great Skills! Helluva pilot!

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Speaking of Sully, I was at a presentation at Seattle's Museum of Flight by Captain Al Haynes, who somehow managed to get United flight 232 onto the runway at Sioux City, without any hydraulics, good enough to save more than half the souls on board. Of course he had help from his partners in the cockpit, but he had to coordinate all the activities. I understand that a number of competent pilots attempted to duplicate the crews' actions on a simulator and none of them was able to make the runway!

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm not going to criticize him, because everyone survived and he did a fine job. Nothing to criticize there. And he seems like a good guy-- I got to meet him once.

However, just about any competent airline pilot, including the guy sitting just to his right, could (and would) have done the same thing with the same outcome.

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I am digging back to a terrific electrical storm that we had at Langley Field one night. Iv'e told this story before where we were called out to search for two crew members that bailed out over the Chesapeake after their B-17 had been stuck by lightning. The pilot, a young Lt., landed the airplane in the middle of a blinding rain at 0100 without any instruments. Almost everything had been shorted or burned. It was a Mickey ship so it was jammed with radar that blinded everybody when it lit up ( the crew's description). The number one engine was physically destroyed by the strike. Anyway, the pilot got it down without any damage or injuries.

pdxjim488, Texas Forever and Ryan S. like this.
  19. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    "Ferrari in the Skies". Love that!
    I wanted to hear what his favorite jet was. :)

Great video!

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ray Brooks was a friend of mine and a great WW-I pilot. Sponsored him during the 1987 Gathering of Eagles at Maxwell AFB.

Dane likes this.
  21. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Seems like the right thread for this...

Navy Pilot Who Secretly Killed Four MiGs On One Mission Finally Recognized

Capt. E. Royce Williams shot down four Soviet MiG-15 jets in a single mission over Korea, but his achievement was obscured for decades.

...Now aged 97, Capt. Williams received the Navy Cross in a ceremony at the San Diego Air and Space Museum, California, on January 20. The award was presented by Secretary of the Navy Carlos Del Toro and comes on top of a Silver Star Medal that Williams had received in May 1953, weeks before the end of the Korean War....

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/navy-pilot-who-secretly-killed-four-migs-on-one-mission-finally-recognized

willrace and Texas Forever like this.
  22. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I just got here to post that....Glad he got the recognition while still living.

Ryan S. and NYC Fred like this.
  23. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I don't understand why the award of the Navy Cross at the time couldn't have been kept a secret, too.

I'm glad he was alive to receive it, too.

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    In his autobiography, Eric Brown says he was given the flying bug by this man, to whom he regularly paid tribute:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Udet

Considered in his days to be one of the greatest fliers of all times, and he certainly led a colorful life; not exempt of bad judgements, but, according to those who have seen him fly in his days, a fabulous pilot. And a friend of Jimmy Doolittle...

Rgds