Great product (leather conditioner) | FerrariChat

Great product (leather conditioner)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferralc, Apr 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I want to share this product I recently used
    I have used several brands (Griots, Connolly, Mother’s) and the person who dyed the seats recommended it to me
    It is called Leather honey, I applied with my hands everywhere (seats, dash, interior roof, steering wheel etc etc) let it sit for a hours on a hot day with the windows up to increase the temperature and then wipe the excess with a microfiber cloth. The results are amazing!!! I will post pictures later today
    The person who recommended it to me said the TR leather is untreated and the leather absorbs the product (no polymer coat)
    Does anybody know when Ferrari begin treating its interiors? I want to know if the product is suited for my 2003 360 or it will just sit there
    Thanks Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Beautiful!

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    How does it compare to leatherique?

5. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Haven’t tried leatherique, although the process of being on the heat is the same one. The consistency is like tanning oil so the hotter the easier to spread. It looks pretty oily when you applied it (I was a bit concerned it would be a mess to remove the excess) but it was so easy to wipe or the excess after hours of soaking it in.
    I am very pleased with the results. The dash looks like new, I used a hard brochure I received on the mail to protect the windshield glass while applying to the very far end edges of the dash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Looks fabulous indeed !

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    looks good - moist but not artificially wet or greasy. How does it smell?

leatherique stinks - literally.

after putting it on and letting it sit (no plastic wrap) it started to pick up a mildew smell.

cleaned it off immediately and all is well now - back to the smell of new connoly leather - STILL after 28 YEARS!!!

8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    It does not have a scent, I really recommend it.
    I have the Connolly Hyde care (former Hyde food) and it is a pain in the ass to apply, this one is too easy. Like tanning oil.
    I basically massaged the whole interior with my hands. I it is amazing that EVERYTHING inside is actually leather.

9. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    That's how I've been applying Connolly Hyde care for 15yrs. :) But they changed the formulation a bit a while back and it isn't quite the same now as when it was Hyde food.

I'm just about out of it so I ordered 8oz bottle of Honey yesterday and I'll give that a try. How much of it did you wind up using?

10. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I did the whole interior and I used like 1/8 of a bottle, just a bit covers a lot, you will see. The instructions says to leave the car at least 2 hours or overnight if you can. Because I had a car event the next day I left the car on a hot day for 2-3 hours and that was enough. You are more than welcome to try it for longer.
    Be careful with the dash edges if you touch the windscreen glass it is difficult to reach again to wipe off the streak. I used a junk mail brochure to protect the glass.
    So the Connnolly used to be easier to apply? It is so thick now that is very difficult to apply even with the hands.

11. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    It's not that it was any easier to apply, that's always been the pretty much the same. I just found rubbing it in with my hands was the best way to apply it. The formulation was changed due to chemicals in it in the old days that are now considered hazardous to ship. The first jar of the new formulation I got a few years back was almost soupy and I sent it back. The 2nd one was better(which is now almost gone) but I could tell they changed the product.

12. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Tell me what you think when you use it. By the way I still use the Connolly cleaner before applying any type of conditioner. I purchased along with the Hyde care, It is basically a detergent with a bit of ammonia IIRC.
    Some people just wipe the leather with a damp cloth before applying any type of conditioner.

13. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Will do. Hoping to give it a go this weekend. I also just use a damp cloth to clean. My car only gets about 1500 miles a year so the leather doesn't get very dirty I've found.

14. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    I believe that Ferrari went to Poltrona Frau in 2001 , and thats when it all went down hill if you ask me, ive got a 2008 599, and whilst my leather is fine , i just prefer the old style aniline hydes, the texture and the feel is better to me, I have used leather honey on a 1986 tr mono, to be honest i thought the car need new leather , it was dry ,not cracked,but stiff and very dull, we applied it with a hair dryer to warm the leather through, then left it for a few days with out removing the excess , we i went back to check it ,i was amazed at the result, it drank in the excess and looked fantastic that was nearly two years ago and its still great today

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  15. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I just got some delivered from amazon:)

JoeTSI likes this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.

17. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Tried the leather honey on my door panel early today, will wipe off tomorrow and see but it looks promising.
    Leatherique sucks, overpriced and dulled the hell out of my black interior. Yeah I know should of only tried it on a small area first.

Natkingcolebasket69 and ferralc like this.
  18. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks for this review. I bought a bottle and hope to try it soon.

It is cheaper to buy direct from Leather Honey. I got a code LHCART for 15% off.

19. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Many people on here swear by leatherique. I have used it, and works well. Is the honey that much better?

20. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    So, what do you think?
    In my car the best results were on the dash. Amazing how it looks now

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you use leather honey conditioner, do you first use leather honey cleaner or only conditioner?

22. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    ok just purchased a 16 oz bottle on Amazon. They also had a $2 off coupon that you can click. $31.05 including tax, and delivery this Sunday. Thanks Fernando for the recommendation.

23. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I used the Connolly cleaner, just because so had it, but you could just wipe with a wet cloth

24. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I just wiped off the leather honey off my door panel and it looks great. Forgot to mention I put some on the map pocket next to the seat which was dull and started to look a little whitish and now it's looking great. It's a little difficult to apply because it's thick but you don't need to use a lot. Probably better to apply when interior is warm to hot which makes the leather honey flow on better. Will tackle the rest of the interior this weekend.
    I also applied some on my front seats of my other car and the seats look new again, but it did make the seats look a little darker which is okay cause they're black.

ferralc likes this.