Great product (leather conditioner) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Great product (leather conditioner)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferralc, Apr 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hey Romano,
    You can probably can use any cleaner, I used Sonax leather cleaner.

turbo-joe likes this.
  2. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Leatherique conditions and preserves leather. If used on a regular maintenance regiment the leather will outlast you. There are no solvents sort of like the higher end Zymol products. Interior leather is suppose to have a matte finish not shiny. The same goes for shiny tires.

Testerosse and turbo-joe like this.
  3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Leather doesn’t get shiny with leather honey, it just gets a renovated finish like “not dull”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    So glad it worked for you

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Makes sense to apply a product with fingers .
    Trying to reach the most forward portion of the upper dash, where it meets the windshield is nothing short of impossible.
    After you wipe it , you know you gotta clean glass again!
    Does it have lanolin in it ?

6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

Well this my NASA proven method to reach the very far forward area of the dash without messing the windshield
    Use a “hard” piece (like those brochures you receive in the junk mail) or a vanilla folder and put it in between the dash and the glass. That way you can wipe the impossible to reach angles, for those areas your fingers will not reach use the edge of the microfiber cloth with a bit of product.
    Separate both areas is very importante because the product is so difficult to remove from the glass once you touch it. I used alcohol and a magic eraser pad and it did the trick.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Drew 88TR likes this.
  7. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Is leatherique or leather honey okay on the stitches? I got black interior leather with yellow contrast stitches. I heard some leather products mess up the stitches

8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Yes no problem with stitches

9. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    Thanks. Putting in an order to try

10. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    So the first post you had showed the picture of the conditioner, not the cleaner. Did you just use the conditioner and leather got cleaned and nice?

11. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Finally had opportunity to use the Leather Honey yesterday. I am impressed with it. Application was a breeze. Results after a light wipe down 4 hours after application were amazing. And a little goes a long way. Did my entire interior and used maybe an 1/8th of the 8oz bottle at most. 2 thumbs up for this product.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    This is a pic of my iPhone case. Leather Honey was generously applied. Along the spine (mid way up), the leather is thinner to allow the case to more easily close & open. Note the discoloration in the leather along the thinner spine.

A generous application of Leather Honey ‘may’ do the same to your car’s leather. I would be especially concerned around the stiching where the Honey will more easily soak into the deeper sections of leather.

Other than this discoloration the product seemed to work well. I may(?) not use it on the TR. In my mind, the jury is still out.

PS: It has stayed dark and unchanged for at least a month now.

YMMV
    Vincenzo

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You can’t compare the quality of an iPhone case and the leather of a TR.
    It works really well there is no “May”

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Where did I “compare the quality of an iPhone case and the leather of a TR”? I mearly offered a hard data point for consideration.

You are not the holder of all knowledge, nor do you have any scientific data to share. You have an opinion - that’s all.

Dogma is nonsense... “may” represents a valid consideration.

I urge caution when using Leather Honey or ANY form of leather conditioner.

15. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    You are creating a doubt that doesn’t exist. If somebody reads this thread and decides to give it a try your post might discouraging him.
    I did my whole car, seats, dash, doors etc and there is no “MAY”, no darkened not discoloration, nothing.
    If you want a hard data point me using my car as a guinea pig and having had great results with it is way more valid than an iPhone case.

NOW if you do it in your car and then you notice something wrong with it then please inform everyone, but an iPhone case is not the same material.

(The person who recommended it to me is a professional interior leather restorer)

16. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I agree with feralc;) the person who recommended it to him and dyed the seat of the car has been doing this for 30 years and was previously recommended to me by ferrari of San Francisco as he has been restoring lots of vintage car.
    Only thing id be cautious of is be careful letting the car sit in the heat for too long... that leather shrinkage really doesn’t need too much too happen...

17. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Agree
    I would put a windshield sunshade because you only need heat not the direct UV lights that damage the leather.

18. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
  19. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How would you say the applications differed? Which do you prefer?

20. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I've used Leather honey on a wide variety of leather products. Amazing results. BUT, one big warning... it can interact with certain leather colors and change the hue. I've used it on my black leather interior 550 Maranello but found that it interacted unfavorably on the grey leather of my TR.

21. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Both were approximately the same effort to apply.

The Mink oil created a more consistent and satin finish after wiping with a dry cloth, which I prefer since it looks more original.

raysur likes this.
  22. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I prefer the satin look too. Thanks for posting this comparison.

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    How do these two above compare with Leatherique? People on here swear by Leatherique.

24. Drew 88TR

Drew 88TR Rookie

Mar 5, 2018
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Thanks for posting the pics. I just got my 1988 and first Ferrari. Very exciting. Looking for this product. You mentioned you apply it with your hands, any particular towel or sponge you recommend? Are you still using the Honey product?

25. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I have only used it once, and the leather still looks amazing. I am planning on doing my 360 one of these coming weekends.
    Yes you apply it with your hands and after several hours on the sun (I would let it sit overnight as well if I were you) you just wipe the excess with a microfiber cloth, very easy.