355 - Great sound with OEM Sony radio finaly | FerrariChat

355 Great sound with OEM Sony radio finaly

Discussion in '348/355' started by kenneyd, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    (can edit the typo in the title, "finally" not finaly lol

I've seen quite a few posts here related to upgrading the stock audio setup and like many of you, I would chime in things like "Never turned it on!" and "my stereo is 9500 rpm" or "cant hear it over my capristo anyway" , but inside I was dying lol.
    All kidding aside, I do occasionally want to listen to something on my commute. On my factory system, the right channel was significantly quieter, and both speakers were blown or deteriorated.

The goal being keeping the crappy OEM Sony xr-f20 and the factory appearance . No amps in the trunk, no subs either.
    I originally was looking at 2 way low profile speakers from focal, but while they were shallow enough, they were to tall for the door panel. I ended up buying a set of infinity REF-6522EX that fit just fine, No drilling. I didn't want to destroy the factory speaker harnesses/plug, So i simply popped it of the old speakers and soldered it on the infinity.
    To address the aging radio, I bought a Pioneer GM-D1004 4 channel amp. Its very small and light, around 7x2.5x1.5" and 11oz or so. The Sony XR-f20 already has RCAs out on the back, so hooking it up was extremely easy and unobtrusive. It also slides in perfectly under the dash. I did have to splice into the speaker wires , I opted to cut into the sony harness since it is an of the self sony harness.

Anyway, Sounds great, Happy to have my radio back.
    By the way, (many of you may know this) SEL+ "1" turn the display green
    SEL = "7" turns on the "loud" function
    SEL = "8" adjust the amp put levels
    SEL = "6" turns the annoying beep off
    Sel = "9" adjust the brightness
    There is a factory remote, part number RM-X40

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GSF355, Robb, ttforcefed and 5 others like this.
  2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Well done, Ken!

kenneyd likes this.
  3. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Great way to accomplish what you were attempting to do. Thanks for putting the details of how you did the job with the specific parts that worked. I have been thinking of doing something similar and this may be exactly what I need.

steved033 and kenneyd like this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wait... how did you power the amp?

kenneyd likes this.
  5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    there are several factory grounds on the firewall with an inches of where I placed the amp. I ran the power wire to the fuse box which is about one foot away. There is a empty 12-volt source that I plugged into.
    The amps blue remote wire went to the radio blue striped wire that comes out of the Sony radio's harness.

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice job, thanks for sharing.

kenneyd likes this.
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahh yes, of course, I never thought of that with a small amp no need to run huge wires to the battery etc. You were able to use 14 gauge or so for the power with the 12 volt source?

8. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yes, the amp comes with the harness that already has the 12 or 14 gauge wires that you need to run. They give you about 4 ft, like I said I only needed about 12 to 18 in

9. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nice write up. Great details. Thanks.

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I've been thinking of re-doing the 348. that little amp is perfect!

sjd

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    There is an XR-F20 for sale on OfferUp in San Jose. Posted four months ago, not sure it's still available but...

https://offerup.co/SasK9tGQA4

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #13 taz355, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Nice job ken I m9ght have to change those old speakers.
    I upgraded to the ferrari infotainment unit with backup cam, etc.
    My question is how much boost does your amp give because maybe I do not even need one with this new radio to get a nice solid sound.

Just looked up power and output is 19w per channel x 4 channels whatever that means
    Thanks