Grey Market - New Watch | FerrariChat

Grey Market - New Watch

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Vegas-Guy, May 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Hey guys,

I thing I've narrowed my search down to a Breitling superocean II 44 "A17392" Blue Dial.

If I buy a watch from somewhere like athenticwatches.com do they come exactly like it would from AD minus the factory warranty and actual warranty card? If so, is this something that is a real concern and I should pay the extra $$ and stick with AD, or not a big deal at all as a new watch shouldn't even use the warranty before it ends. Thanks in advance.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you don't go through an AD and ever need to send the watch for service, they will just return it untouched, and probably charge you for shipping.

Just another gamble for a Vegas-Guy... ;)

3. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Hmm. Not sure how to take your comment unless your joking a little. If I bought a grey market watch and something needed fixing (say within the first year), your saying I couldn't take it to an AD to have it fixed? Even if I end up having to pay out of pocket.

4. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yes, that's what I'm saying.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    Just out of curiousity, how do they know where the watch comes from and where the owner comes from ?

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    Op. I would worry about it. I have never had a problem getting any of my watches serviced.

7. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    There are plenty of watch shops that aren't ADs that will fix watches. I've had 2 dead automatic Tag Heures fixed at a local watch shop. They specialize in fixing watches, not selling them.

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have never had or heard of a problem with paying for service or repairs for a watch that was purchased outside the channel. You will not get warranty service, but you should have no problem paying a manufacturer to service a watch.

9. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You'd think that would be the case but they won't service non registered watches. They are trying to protect the integrity of their brand and their A/D's as well, and why shouldn't they?

Try sending a Rolex back to the factory with an aftermarket face or bezel and see what happens.

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You have had the experience of sending a watch for service and it has been refused service because it was purchased outside the channel? I have not had that experience.

The last Rolex I sent in for service with after market hands: it was noted, suggested replacement, and the service performed.

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    please explain non registered watches ? how, where, why...

12. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I have not heard of that either and I work in the industry. Like cls said, if there's something aftermarket they'll quote you on how much it is to replace those aftermarket parts and that's it.

13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had an AD purchased Daytona that I had put a strap on and they sent it back untouched, with the price for a bracelet.

14. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Without the AD registration card filled out...

15. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    If I were ever treated that way by a company, I'd sell the watch that week and never deal with the scum bags ever again.

16. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Just wanted to say thanks to the member (you know who you are) who helped me find this watch from an AD. It arrived today and is sitting on my desk..:) Now just need to get it sized.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Why are we dragging Ferrari into the discussion ? ;)

18. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    That's odd. I've sent them one for service on a Velcro strap and Rolex serviced it and sent it back to me.

That particular piece is old enough that I doubt they have the right part to sell me!

I totally understand a manufacturer protecting its dealers. And I understand them not touching an item for warranty work. But that's different than not working on it at all.

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    They've even been known to return watches with the OEM parts replaced and a bill.

20. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    As a side note:

Canon (USA) and Nikon (USA) won't service any gray market cameras - even if you pay them. You have to send the items back to Japan. Good luck with that.

I do see that they provide a service and have to pay for that out of their pricing for cameras sold in the US. They are the official distributors and do provide value on other services in the process of ownership, warranty, and servicing, equipment loaners to pros, other activities.

Gray market sellers of their goods are currently being sued by Canon USA. I'm guessing the gray market sellers will lose...

Buyers of gray market cameras also generally lose. So I buy new or used USA products with USA paperwork.

Robb

21. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    If they can find me an original nos strap for the one I'm talking about I'd happily buy it. But it's old enough (late 60's) that I'm a little surprised they serviced it at all last time.

22. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

My personal experience was this : I purchased a new AP Offshore ~ 2 years ago from a secondary party not an AD. Fast forward , my watch started running slow so I sent it in to AP repair with a warrantee card and had no issues whatsoever. My watch was returned to me with new paperwork for an additional 1 year warrantee , no questions asked.

23. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    AP now gives a specific card for each piece with the serial # and their seal.

You must have gotten very lucky or the Swiss guy was a marlin fisherman! :D :D :D

Breitlings are entered into the computer at time of purchase.