Grigio/red 400 auto in LA | FerrariChat

Grigio/red 400 auto in LA

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bjwhite, Oct 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #1 bjwhite, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm not sure of the serial number of this car--but I wanted to get this posted before it expires.

1979 Ferrari 400

Text from the ad:

This 3 speed automatic Ferrari 400 is Located in Santa Barbara California with 64,000 miles. These 64,000 miles were driven in the temperate weather of Southern California. Both owners of this car were wealthy and kept the car in garages and spend the money to keep the car in top shape, they spared no cost with upkeep. The original owner was from Beverly Hill California and the second owner lives in Montecito California. Receipts of recent upkeep on the car can be available to those who are interested. Due to the magnificent condition this Ferrari 400 was kept the car runs absolutely beautiful.

You have the opportunity to own a very rare left hand drive, automatic with a metallic grey exterior and a vibrant red leather interior. Very straight body, does have minor bubbling on the bumper which can been seen in the pictures provided, as well as two minor scratches, one on the hood and the other on the left side panel. Both scratches are less than an inch in length, other than those minor blemishes and the fact that the AC is not blowing cool air; this is a near perfect Ferrari 400.

The car has nice factory wheels and excellent Pirelli tires, the spare is like new. Along with the spare tire there is the original Ferrari manual and jack kit. The original interior is beautiful and still maintains the smell of Ferrari leather, there are no cracks on the dashboard or on the leather under the back window, usual trouble spots for older cars. The car runs amazingly, so much so that it is a near sin to not drive with the windows down to hear the V12 engine roar as you cruise down the highway. It comes with the original owner's manual as well as the spare tire.

Lastly, it features the original power pop-up headlamps working perfectly. Recently I have put in over $6,000 into the car to make sure everything about it is perfect. I have kept all the paper work so that you can see all the documentation. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions at 805-453-4963.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. nixo

nixo Rookie

Sep 8, 2014
    Fairfield CT
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    Thanks for the info Brian
    The newbie woukd like to know if these wheels are OEM?
    Did the 400 had a passenger rear view mirror back then?
    What's the cost of fixing the A/C if you had that experience?

3. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Would bet on 27797

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    The wheels are OEM--just have the centers painted. Not sure why people did that--and not sure if they ever left the factory like that, but they are easily put back to proper plain silver.

5. fly275

fly275 Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    Midwest USA
    The wheels are OEM. They look different because the flat backgrounds are painted black. All 365GT4 2+2 / 400 / 400i / 412 that are in the US were either federalized or smuggled. Ferrari of North America never brought these cars in officially. Because of the corner lights this car looks like it was federalized. They could have put the right side mirror on then. My 365GT4 has only a chrome mirror of the left.

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    My old 76 Alfetta only have a left side mirror in chrome. By the time of my 79 Alfetta, it had both mirrors--Vitaloni Tornados, just like the 400s.

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

I believe the car is chassis 27985.

Cheers,

Sam

8. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You are right Sam
    That s 27985
    If you have any info/picture to provide, it would be very useful for me

Have a good day

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    About the wheels it's been discussed in the past that there was a California dealer that was doing this.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    This is not completely true. Once a car is 25 years old it can be brought in without meeting federal EPA or DOT requirements although the states can still make the car pass emissions.

11. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I know the guy who imported the car, that 's a professionnal that still exists and still deals exotics and collection cars

Full legal importation for this one

12. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Has anyone seen the car? I'm interested but won't be in California until next month. Does this car look correct? I'm new to the forum and would appreciate any input.

13. nixo

nixo Rookie

Sep 8, 2014
    Fairfield CT
    Full Name:
    nicolas
    I have not seen the car but discussed with the garage who did the latest repairs: rebuiot starter, new A/C plus a couple of extras to make it nice.
    It seemed a real good car to me but i m a rookie as well.