Grinding gears in reverse | FerrariChat

Grinding gears in reverse

Discussion in '308/328' started by 328gtsidiot, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328gtsidiot

328gtsidiot Rookie

Aug 18, 2018
    Elm Grove Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Daniel Wilhelm
    All of a sudden the clutch won't work for reverse only!!! All other gears work great... anyone know what the deal is? I just bought my 328 GTS and it's only got 36k on it. New to the ferrari world.

Ccashen1 likes this.
  2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Drain the gear box, pull the gear pan, and have an assistant manipulate the clutch and gear lever while you look at what's going on with the selector.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    When stationary with the engine idling, try selecting a forward gear with the clutch depressed (like 1st or 3rd), then quickly (but smoothly) try going into reverse. If that works "better", it's a sign your clutch is not fully disengaging well (but not a crisis ;)).

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Is it possible there's another simpler solution ? Not pushing hard enough down on the stick or something blocking at the lever end ?

Maybe there's another thread with reverse in the title that might contain other suggestions - must be worth a try

rdefabri and Crowndog like this.
  5. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    This is exactly right. Reverse doesn't have a synchro and it is very common to get grinding if you do not start with selecting a forward gear first.

rdefabri and Rosey like this.
  6. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I always slide it into 1st gear and then into reverse on my 328. I had a few random grinding noises going into reverse when got mine and have just done this ever since. No synchros in reverse so it's just a little habit to make sure.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    As already mentioned, reverse is not syncromeshed. The car must be at an absolutely dead-still stop before seeking reverse gear. My other manual-shift cars have syncro-ed reverse gears and it takes every ounce of concentration in my little brain to completely stop the 308 before shifting it into reverse (and I live on a steep hill).

8. Aus_yz

Aus_yz Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mika
    Try loosening the chrome gear lever gate shifter screws so the gear lever can go to the left a bit more for reverse (to see if its an adjustment issue) I had to adjust my gear lever shaft as I couldnt select reverse a while back.

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Exactly right! I had that grinding issue into reverse with my 328 after switching to Redline MTL (which works FAR better in all other gears than the Motul GL5 that was in the box). Disengaging the clutch, selecting first, than moving to reverse and ...smooth as butter! :)

10. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It’s a vertical push down then back for reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Forward... you meant to say vertical down then forward for reverse.

12. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes yes of course. Eh hem I was upside down in my yoga position while typing. Thank you for the correction! ;)

Albert-LP and Saabguy like this.
  13. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Only now do I have your respect. Muhahahahaaaa.... (That's an evil laugh)

Crowndog likes this.
  14. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thank you thank you.

Saabguy likes this.