Ground clearance? | FerrariChat

Ground clearance?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by vroom23, May 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vroom23

vroom23 Karting

Apr 30, 2014
    Does anyone have a detailed drawing showing the ground clearance of a 458 Spider at both front and rear? How much does it change when the lifter is activated? I'm expecting my car later this year, and would like to measure the driveway to confirm it won't be an issue.

2. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Just get the lifter, I use it every time I drive the car. It's not about ground clearance, but the steep decline will make you bounce the nose. Not every time you can do sideway.

3. vroom23

vroom23 Karting

Apr 30, 2014
    I ordered the lifter. My concern is that it *still* might scrape on my driveway.

4. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    The new lifter lifts the front and rear. I think with the car lifted, it won't scratch anything. If I'm not mistaken, it's over 10". I have a Mercedes S class with air suspension (lifter too). When the Ferrari is lifted, it is actually higher than the S class also lifted maximum. That's the lowest part to the ground. But the Ferrari has longer nose, but the shape is inclining to the front, means low chance for bouncing the nose. Make sure you do sideways.
    There is a way to measure this : If you have an SUV, measure the lowest clearance of the 458, then make a replica from a piece of carton and glue it to the mud flap of the SUV. Drive through the obstacle, and you can have an idea whether it will go through or not. But this way is not 100% accurate.

5. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    my 430 used to scrape the ground at the entrance to my driveway.
    no issues with the 458.
    i do not have the lifter.

6. vroom23

vroom23 Karting

Apr 30, 2014
    If it's really 10", that won't be a problem at all. My current car clears fine at 6". The recent threads about people damaging the rear fins have me particularly concerned. Does anyone have drawings/dimensions for the position of those?

7. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Sorry, it's over 7" when lifted.
    I have ever compared to Mercedes C class 350, when lifted the Ferrari is higher. The C class doesn't have air suspension, and cannot be lifted.
    But it also depends on what you are going to drive through. If it's on flat surface, then easier to measure. Watch out for steep decline, in this condition the distance from the front wheel to the front bumper also makes difference.

8. :Marc

:Marc Karting

Nov 9, 2007
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I have the lifter and use it in and out of steep driveways, even with the lifter up I always go in and out on an angle. Simple laws of physics shorter nose cars like my R8 had no issues even without lifters but the 458 has a longer front end. Good you ordered it better safe then sorry!

9. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I think mine only lifts the front. It is a newer 458 too. You sure yours does the rear?

That would be a great feature as backed car into a parking space yesterday was concerned about hitting the CF rear valence into a high curb.

10. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Hmm not sure this is accurate..

11. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just heard the new configurator has front/rear lift now. How cool!

12. :Marc

:Marc Karting

Nov 9, 2007
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Marc
    From another thread involving same type of clearance / scraping issue.

There is no rear lift available for the 458. It shows up in the configurator because when they put the FF in the system it does come with a front and rear lifter. This carried over to the 458 configurator for some reason. T