GROUP BUY: Extended Length Shock Eye Paper Weights | Page 4 | FerrariChat

GROUP BUY: Extended Length Shock Eye Paper Weights

Discussion in '308/328' started by Verell, Mar 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    >Verell, you da man!!!!!!!!!!

I wish you hadn't said that, now my hats are all too small. ;^)
    However, it's always great to hear from a happy customer.

>The spring perches are set pretty much at the top of the adjustment range in the back and about 1/2 way up in the front.

Hmm, the front sounds right on. The rear s/b adequate, but others probably should consider a slightly stronger rear spring to give more adjustment range.

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen

The 328s with the convex wheels use a Mondial front end that currently precludes using QA1 shocks. The 328 concave paper is just like the 308.
    See the discussion & FPC pix in the middle of this thread:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134442

I'm working on a Mondial/Late 328 solution, but it'll be late this fall.

3. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    Should I be concerned about this? I had to set the ride height higher than I would prefer since the euro front spoiler drags on every driveway and speed bump with it any lower. I'm at 26.75 inches at the top of the rear wheel arch. I currently have 325 front/275 rear. Should I consider 325 rate springs for the rear also? Thanks.

4. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    #79 Impactco, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For those of you that are on the fence about this upgrade, I have to say that the car is completely transformed! Hard to believe I was driving around on these 22+ year old overweight, rotten, rusty parts for the past year and a half and hating every minute of it. With the paperweights, it is totally reversible should I sell the car in the future to someone that only wants original parts in the car. I'm extremely happy, can you tell? :):)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Michael,

And the thing with the OEM shock/springs is, they way a ton! (ok not a ton, but you know what i mean):)

I have mine in a box and i can't even slide them around in the garage they're that heavy.

6. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    For anyone trying to get the ride height set correctly after installing QA-1's, I'm getting 1/4 inch per full turn of the adjuster for the front and 1/8 inch per full turn for the rear.

7. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    Some additional info - I have tried the QA-1 shock adjustment settings all the way from 3 up to 12 and have settled on 4 as optimal for my driving style and type of springs installed. At 5 there is a little bit of bounce just starting over every surface - at 12 the car was pleasantly firm but way to bouncy and jittery. I had the car 4 wheel aligned today and it was way off optimal settings before the procedure. Feels like new again!

8. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Out of curiousity and not to hijack the thread but what did the wheel alignment run?

JIM

9. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I started at 3 but i had to much bounce.

I'm at 7 now and seems good.

10. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    4 wheel - $200

11. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #86 jimshadow, Aug 21, 2007
  12. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    I'm afraid that that's not going to help a lot. Problem is that the shocks are a bit short on the back. Winding up the rears will only compress the springs further without really raising the rear of the car.

With the rear wound 7/8 of the way up, the shocks of my GT4 would top out after each long bump - the type that is low enough to take at normal driving speed, yet tall enough to lift the car out of its springs somewhat. The noise of the topping out is really scary, plus you lose grip completely, since the wheels are all but lifted off the ground.

My rears are now set about halfway, which gives the car a nice look and all but eliminated the topping out. The very occasional top-out still occurs and still scares me, but I guess it will have to do.

Unless of course I'd use a few paperweights for the back as well...

Hans

P.S. I've got 300 front and 300 back...

13. spucati

spucati Rookie

Jul 10, 2006
    just been to the isle of skye off the west coast of the scottish mainland. This island has been custom designed by god and enzo(should that read enzo and god?) to be used as a glorious three dimentional challenge to the serious driver of a fast car.This place is scenically pumped to the max with superbly surfaced well engineered roads organically threading through huge mountains ,shorelines and moorland .speeds?effectively there are no speed limits and what little traffic there is is simply there to ancourage you to practice the art (long forgotten)of the professional overtake.long runs of tar with no junctions get you in the groove and keep you there. magnifico. only fly in the ointment my car was an e class merc estate , but tell you what i cannot wait to get back there in the f car.i've now got the QA1's and the solid bushes just need the steering rack and Verells bush kit and paperwieghts (on order)and a free weekend or two to fit it all. Did you manage to get said bush kit and paperweights off to me as i need to get back to skye to drive enzo's baby in gods backyard to fulfill one of my driving daydreams.

14. spucati

spucati Rookie

Jul 10, 2006
    the paper weights have landed.I now only have to spring them from quarentine where i think they are suspicious that they in fact have some engineering purpose not decorative paperweighting.i will print off some photos of them in action i like the one of them with the manual gamely holding the users page for him.that should prove the point.Of course they dont give a monkies so long as i pay the tax.
    thanks verell glad to have them as it looks like there is a lot of interest out there for this upgrade.

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    There's a slight price increase due to SS prices increasing, also USPS has increased it's prices, & I've been eating some shipping costs as these are heavy. The current prices are:

Pair Price: $214.81 = 2 x $99.93 USD/paper weight + $14.95 Shippinng & Insurance within USA.

Single Unit PRICE: $111.83 = $99.93 USD/paper weight + $11.90 Shippinng & Insurance within USA.

Send eMAIL with the address & a phone #(required by the international shippingn quote software) for international shipping quotes.

You can send: PayPal, MO, business or personal check. Heck, I'll even take cash if you can get it to me safely!

To use PayPal, just send payment to the eMAIL address below for [GOODS], use the SUBJ: below, & include your address & phone # in the comments field.

Also, I MUST HAVE A PHONE# as the shipping companies require it these days for insured packages. Also, it's mandatory for all internationsl shipments, even to Canada.

To place your order by check, etc, please send eMAIL with your shipping address & Phone#:

TO: [email protected]

SUBJ: ORDER: Qty 2 Shock Eye Paper Weight
    (or Qty 1 if you just want a one.)

I'll respond with Unobtainium's mail address.

I'll trust your eMAIL saying your payment is coming snail mail and will log your order.

16. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    For anyone that is on the fence about this upgrade, just do it! It completely transformed my car (Uh, I mean my desk paper pile management :D) and Verell's components are AWESOME!

17. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Don't think I'll be needing this upgrade since in my office, paper already waits.

18. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    If you are doing QA1 Shocks, don't forget Verell's Bushing Kit!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll HAVE to come up with different bushings to use them on your 308.

JIM

19. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    On a related note...... I believe the thrust bearings for the QA1's are optional but how many are needed for each shock if a person decides to go this route?

20. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
    I wish I had installed these. Makes adjustment much easier. You'll need 4, one per shock.

21. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Can someone please give more info on these so called Thrust Bearings for the QA-1's? :)

JIM

22. Impactco

Impactco Formula 3

Jan 29, 2006
  23. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Grazie

24. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #99 Sledge4.2, Mar 29, 2008
    I must have secured the last pair of paperweights last month. I forgot to thank you verell, the paperwieghts worked perfectly, just finished with teh QA1's. My mechanic commented on the quality of the paperwieghts. Thanks verell.
    Geno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I currently have the last pair in stock.