Group Buy on 348/355 Stainless brushed Door Sills | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Group Buy on 348/355 Stainless brushed Door Sills

Discussion in '348/355' started by captglen, Nov 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do they sit flush using the double sided tape? How did you clean out the old glue from the inset? Did you seal with clear caulking around the edge? I am just about to put mine in and I am curious as too how people approach the install.

--Mike

2. FerrariDeeJay

FerrariDeeJay Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    They do sit flush using the double sided tape provided. The old glue was very difficult to remove, scrapped as much out as I could with a razorblade and an adhesive remover I picked up at the local hardware store. I did not seal mine with anything. I figured worst case scenario is if they come undone, just redo the double stick tape.

3. mj_duell

mj_duell Formula 3

Nov 20, 2004
    S. Glastonbury, CT.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks. My concern is getting grit under the plate and having the paint wear away and rust the sill. I will do it the same way you did and then just seal the edges for peace of mind. I am probably over thinking it. :D

--Mike

4. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I also have a set I purchased over the summer. I removed the sills and had them powder coated as they were developing some rust. I wouldn't recommend trying to run a bead around the edges. Unless you are extremely skilled you won't be happy with the mess and the silicone in such a thin bead will start looking sh%$$y quicker than you think.
    My 02 cents!

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    If you can't find rubbing alcohol and are too stubborn to stop what you're doing and run to the store - let me give you 2 tips:

1) Left to your own devices, eventually you'll rub the skin off your fingers trying to remove the old adhesive residues. Have band-aids and disinfectant on hand.

2) Don't borrow your wife's nail polish remover. The good news is the nail polish remover worked better than most everything else I tried. The bad news is that it discolors the black steel kick panels/plates.

I'm such a dunderhead sometimes.

Anybody have a passenger side 355 black steel door plate they don't want anymore?