Group Buy: QA1 Coil-over Shock Bushings | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Group Buy: QA1 Coil-over Shock Bushings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Owens84QV, Dec 24, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Please forgive me if I'm off base here but having just plowed through this and related threads one point comes to mind.
    It appears the stock Koni set up includes a compression bump stop where the QA1 does not.
    We've seen pics showing the drive shafts being the first item to hit under full compression, although admittedly under extreme track conditions.
    Has anyone looked at alternatives for bump-stops or examined their car for similar signs of contact under road driving conditions?
    What's the first thing that hits in the front if its bottomed out without the bump stop?
    This mod seems to have much recommending it and I hope to be useing it or similar myself one day soon, so my interest is more than gnit-picking. Its just our roads have their share of pot holes and they can't all be dodged.

2. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I've got bump stops showing up today for the rear that should stop the axle problem . .. . on the fornt my tires will come thru the fenders or I'll rip the front cross member off before the shocks hit bottom.

Verrel . . you should do the paperweights out of aluminum . . .. 7075 is stronger than stainless to boot . .. I think you took my advice about changing to free machining stainless to save some cost.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  4. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #154 luckydynes, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
    yeah but last time I checked they were out of stock . . . suspensionrestorationparts.com (no affiliation, etc.) has some polyurethane ones in stock . .. got 'em today along with my ball joint covers . . .$4/ea :)

edit: and they still are out of stock . . . my mistake on price . .. $4/pr :) and they have the suspension bushings in stock also.

5. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Thank you for the information, gentlemen.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Hello kents308,
    Yes, both the QA1 adapter bushing kits, and the paper weights (see: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142079 ) are in stock.

I've put together a white paper to help people select components for converting to QA1s. Please send eMAIL to:
    Orders(at)UnobtainiumSuppply(dot)com (substituting @ & . as appropriate - anti SPAM trick) & I'll send you the white paper & current pricing.

BTW, I am honoring last year's prices while the current inventory lasts. See post #150 of this thread, & post #90 of the paperweights thread for pricing & ordering info.

7. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Take out one of the 'p's in there ;) Didn't realize it till my note was returned...

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Sorry guys, my key board must have stuttered.
    ;^)

Should be: Orders(at)UnobtainiumSupply(dot)com

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #159 Verell, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
    This question frequently comes up:

The poly bushings's width varies quite a bit. The combination in the kit was selected to cover the full range of poly bushing widths.

There are 2 shim washer thicknesses: thin (0.030") & thick (0.060)". Start with a thick washer on each side of the poly bushing & install the retaining rings. It's OK if the poly is compressed slightly, but there should be no side to side play. Add one or both of the thin shim washers as needed to eliminate side play.

Very infrequently people have reported only needing to use a thin & thick washer.

BTW, hold onto any unused shims. If you ever have to replace a poly bushing with the 2-piece 'repair' bushing you may need them.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #160 Verell, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    THEY'RE HERE:
    I just received shipments of the last of the parts I needed to assemble bushing kits. So both the QA1 adapter bushing kits, and the paper weights (see: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142079) are now in stock.

For ordering info, see my website's eCATALOG: http:://www.UnobtainiumSupply.com

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen