GT 40 Recurd Price | FerrariChat

GT 40 Recurd Price

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by kverges, Apr 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    At the Houston Mecum auction, a factory team car went for over $7 million. That is a pretty amazing record, especially since I think the Racing provenance was very limited. The car retired due to a fire at the first outing for the GT 40s at Le Mans. I wonder where that puts the value of one of the podium cars, let alone the winner?

2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I think the cars that went 1,2,3 will easily bring 50+ million. I doubt they will ever be sold though.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Trust but verify.

4. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    Far less. They aren't GTO territory.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

just a note but a gulf john wyer gt 40 that was in harley cluxton's care and custody sold for over $11mm a couple of years back so I am not sure why they are calling this a record price?

6. ferraripete

George stauffer owns the #2 black winning car...I bet it could take $50mm ish to get him to part with it.

7. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I disagree.

8. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    1046 changed hands a while ago, arguably it should have brought a world record but that was not the case.

9. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    #9 Phil~, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    How much did it go for? I never it went up for sale.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    That may be but what collector would pay $50,000,000 for it?

11. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    I don't mean to be rude, but it was true once, but now it's not even close. And I am reliable on this. Believe me.

12. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    Sold privately by George for $9M.

Brian

13. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Wasn't there the Mirage GT40 that sold for 11 million recently?

14. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm skeptical. I love the car, and expected it to go for $8 million; but it took a lot of prodding to reach the reserve price. Was it sold to a phantom bidder? I hope not, but I wonder...

Also, this car showed up on Autosport Designs website a few months ago. It was marked as sold from the first day it appeared, as far as I know. Now, it is no longer on their site, although several cars that were marked as sold are still up. It could be that AD sold it, and the new owner flipped it. But why did they take it down?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just wondering. The behind the scenes stories of these big buck sales seem to be much more interesting than the television circus the general public sees.

15. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I don't know about $50M, but I think these cars could indeed be in "GTO territory." How many cars have sold for 50?

16. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    None officially.

17. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    P/1075 sold for $11 million. Isn't that record price?

18. ijvpet

ijvpet Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2002
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    John P
    That wasn't 1075. It was 1084 wasn't it?

19. ferraripete

I referenced that as "the harley cluxton car" in an earlier post in this thread....and yes you are correct.

20. ferraripete

no.

21. yb360

yb360 Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    WA
    Full Name:
    John A.
    The Gulf car made $10M hammer plus $1M buyers premium at RM Auctions in Monterey 8/2012. It was bought by Greg Miller. His family owns one of the most significant collections of Shelby's in existence. (Multiple GT40's, a Cobra Daytona Coupe, several significant Cobra's, a few other Shelby's.) They have a museum outside Salt Lake City that houses their collection at Miller Motorsports Park. They also loan several cars to the Shelby American Collection in Boulder, CO.

Greg Miller also bought GT104 last week at Mecum in Houston. Yes, this was a real sale at $7M hammer price. This is a significant car. I'm happy to see that he's added it to his collection.

There is a lot of rather generic talk out there these days about how much a GT40 should sell for. Personally I think there are a lot of variables depending on the specific car and its history. There really aren't that many historically significant GT40's that change hands; at least publicly; so in my opinion, it's hard to say exactly how much they should be worth. Like anything, it really comes down to the basics of supply and demand; and how much the buyer is willing to pay for something on that particular given day.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #22 boxerman, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Interesting what price people pay for provenance. The 11 million car had its roof cut off for the filming of lemans and then burned tot he gorund. So 11 million was paid for a data plate and a few bits, the rest was george washingtons ax.

In fact if you look at the way a Gt40 tub is made and take the time frame, its doubtful that too many orgional tubs survive, plus bodywork being fiberglass is replaced. I know the Yamaha car is origional, I assume the ford meuseums ones are and there is a Mk2 at motor classic in Ny that was never raced. the rest are data plate provenance recreations of varying quantities of period pieces ie GWs axe.

If a car is being run on track, and has been for a while in historics, its likely a gelescoe or SPF tub with bodywork having been repaired and replaced over time. So yeah maybe a few bits and a bellhousing. But the historic "provenance" is entry to events and illusion which drives value. In Europe as you know cars newly built but to epriod specs and licensed by the manufacturer can openly run in historics.

At the last goodwood GT40 retrospective 50% of the cars were reputedly gelescoe. So we have 250K recreation running with period provenance recreations which are worth millions because of data plates.

But yeah an origional unmolested unrestored car that won races in period, has got to be worth a whole lot more than the 11 million paid for data plate recreation, or course you can only really put it in a meseum and that is where the few origional period survivors seem to be..

The good part is if you like Gt40's and want one to drive Gelescoe and SPF make them as per origional with licensed chassis numbers from safir who own the Gt40 rights. Costs are between 170-300k. Everything after that is provenance added value(apparently up to 11 million), unless you really have one of the few surviving origionals and by few its probably less than 10.

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Me Too. With the market today, I also feel the 1,2,3 GT40's will bring atleast $30M each???

24. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Is it public knowledge where each of those three cars is and if its "intact" or was rebuilt/re-tubed? Just curious because I agree they would be about as significant of a collector race car as I can imagine.

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    They are known.