430 - Gt3 vs Scuderia | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Gt3 vs Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by redhammer, Dec 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    One car only. 991.2 GT3 manual or Scud?

redhammer, NMNMNMN and Jda550911 like this.
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes the Scuderia is all about a sense of occasion. You get a sense of place just being in the car. It’s a go-faster version of a rework of a 1990s Ferrari so obviously won’t come close to a 2010s GT Porsche for track times, if that’s what matters. 991.1 GT3 is a brilliantly effective drivers car and it is also more usable every day than the Scud (though it does have that front splitter - crunch). Objectively all points to the Porsche.

On the right day and road in the right mood, the Scud has a crazy joy and soul as well as this purity of handling, yes it doesn’t stick like new cars but the feeling on the limit is fantastic, and delicately balanced (unlike the Lambo I would say). A very very finely tuned, honed car.

The 911 will be nicer and faster to drive for more of the time, but at the right times, doesn’t come close to the Scud for passion. If that’s what you enjoy.
    NMN your 992 looks great, I drove a 992S 4000 miles across Europe this summer including the great Alpine passes. What a car! When pushed, it’s hard edged and dances even better than the 991 GT3. And then it can cruise and amble along like a domestic cat. Brilliant car.

on those special days and moments though, Scuderia still has something else, on another level. Even if it would be behind the 911s on the Furka pass...if that matters, don’t buy the Scud! Also, if you simply wouldn’t be able to drive the car on the right roads at the right times. The Porsches do more drives better, more of the time.

VAF84, x z8, NMNMNMN and 6 others like this.
  3. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Hey Hammer, I have a scud and a 991.2 911 T, but about to trade the T for a gt3 and have test driven a few lately.

Driving a 991.1 gt3 I was amazed at how much more racy the engine felt compared to the 991.2s. It had a rough sounding idle that I loved, kinda sounding like my scud on a cold start. While the motor mount feel and overall feedback through the chassis was pretty raw compared to the 991.2, the scud is a good bit more visceral with less sound deadening, metal floors, lots of carbon fiber, and the cabin noise is great but not too loud imo. You hear every rattle and every sound the car makes, even air shooting out of the shocks on small bumps, and it really makes drives around town super fun and interesting even at legal speeds.

I've actually been daily-ing the scud for the last two weeks while my truck has been in the shop and it's been great. Really drivable yet engaging. The front lip is actually higher than my 911 T's which makes it a little easier around town, so I assume it'll be higher than a gt3's too. Not sure if .1s came with axle lift.

When im in the scud I do wish i had a clutch pedal from time to time which is why i will always have a 911, but I will say the f1 gearbox is really fun. Different RPM and throttle % gives you different cracks and pops on shifts, and the sharp crack at full throttle shifts is pretty intoxicating. Through the chassis you can feel the tires barely slip and regrip on a full throttle shift. Lots of good feedback.

Brake feel goes to Porsche. Stopping distance though, probably Ferrari.

Besides the third pedal, the only thing I miss when in the scud is being a little incognito. Idiots trying to video you while driving can be funny but ultimately annoying when they start merging into you without noticing.

Not sure of your stance on manual v. paddles, but if I had to have one car for the rest of my life and it couldn't be manual, it would be a scud.

Also not sure if how much you love the Merci and a myriad of other factors, but if i were in your shoes and really wanted a scud I'd maybe trade it. That way, I'd always have a more low key car to cruise around in and have as much fun. Just a thought! If your gt3 is miami blue or something maybe not much difference.

If you have anymore detailed scud related questions let me know! And good luck!

NMNMNMN, Texas Forever and redhammer like this.
  4. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Haha this question gives me anxiety. But I think I have to go gt3.

Manual, and drive in more situations like Themaven said.

redhammer, NMNMNMN and ShineKen like this.
  5. redhammer

redhammer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2011
    Thank you for the very informative response, my gt3 has PCCB and front lift, those were must have options for me and you’re a correct the front splitter sits extremely low on the gt3.
    But as far as the murci goes, It’s manual and I absolutely love the car and as much as I love the Porsche I can see myself without it but not without a murci. I would only trade the murci for another that’s newer/maybe better but it would have to be my ideal spec to let the current one go. My Porsche is racing yellow.
    I inquired on the one owner red scud that was for sale by a member here in NC but I think I was too far down the list of interested parties and then I saw it was sold.

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    One car forever. Manual 991.2 GT3 or Manual Scud :)?

-K1-, redhammer and NMNMNMN like this.
  7. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

redhammer likes this.
  8. redhammer

redhammer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2011
    No I like the yellow I just think my first Ferrari should be red

NMNMNMN likes this.
  9. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Buying the Scuderia as your first Ferrari is absolutely the right decision. This car occupies a very special position in the history of the track oriented versions of Ferrari's V8 mid-engine product line. Just think of the "Schumi button" on the center console...

To take a red Scuderia is certainly recommended. This color reflects the brand Ferrari simply best. On the market there are top maintained cars as well as tinkered and tortured carrots (and a manual Scuderia is such a carrot, such a thing has never existed from the factory). If possible, do not take the cheapest one, you will not regret it.

Car enthusiasts like Chris Harris have also discovered the specialness of the Scuderia for themselves (listen to Chris at 07.00):

10. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    I've tracked both 991.2 GT3 and Scud. I am fairly experienced track guy. there is no way 991.2 GT3 is significantly faster than a Scud if both are on same tires and brakes.
    991.2 GT3 is on Sports Cup 2, while most Scuds are on family car tires, PSS or PS4S.
    Scud also come with family car brake pads, while 991.2 GT3's brakes are good to go from factory.

RS version don't count, as they have cheater tires, cup 2 -R tires, which is a LOT faster than regular Cup 2 tires.

991.1 GT3 isn't great, handles just okay. while 991.2 GT3 sounds great and handles night an day above 991.1 GT3.

nickorette, x z8, redhammer and 3 others like this.
  11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I posted this on Rennlist awhile ago, and the vote was overwhelmingly for the Scuderia.

redhammer, ShineKen and NMNMNMN like this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    redhammer likes this.
  13. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    The answer my friend is:

GT3RS....,

(ok and a manual F430...)
    (Why? Because RS is RS and because Harry's Garage said so.... re. Manuale F430 more multiverse than Scud missile..)
    Hahahah

Themaven, redhammer and NMNMNMN like this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I suppose when it comes to paddle shifting, the Scud’s Superfast2 is Ferrari’s peak for excitement. After 6k miles in a Scud, I’m over it. I disagree with one of the Rennlist posters. SF2 shines 5k RPM +. Anything below is a bit of a sore. “Lumpy” as Chris Harris calls it. Perhaps I’m just a manual guy at heart.

Gated CS or Scud would be the perfect mid-engined V8 Ferrari for me. Or a really modded gated F430. I’m gonna build the crap out of my 355 and see how far it takes me. A gated Ferrari is where its at.

“Sometimes going forward, is really going backwards”- Mr. JWW

“Give me 500hp in a manual”- Chris Harris

-K1-, Bas, redhammer and 1 other person like this.
  16. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    GT3RS

redhammer likes this.
  17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That would more or less be a gated 430 then (485 hp quoted). Or a FHP 575 (515 hp quoted). I own both and they are a riot.

Both would be crushed around a track by any recent fast 911. And I don’t mean that glibly, I am very in the market for a recent fast 911. Do you prefer champagne or Cabernet, I prefer both!

redhammer and ShineKen like this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I'm not too concerned about absolute track times. It just has to be fast enough and feel fast on the streets while still being exhilarating. I should rent a 991.2 manual GT3 and try it out. I think they are currently good value for what they are. It should be faster, but not sure it will sound as good as a high pitched Ferrari or as fun as a gated shifter.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    FWIW, even though I was considering both a PDK GT3 or a Scuderia at the time, I ultimately bought a sub-$200k Ford GT......the same thing happened 6 years earlier when I started to buy an auto transmission car and ended up with a gated shift Diablo Roadster.

So I guess I like the idea of a new style automatic, but buy manuals....

20. JohnGT3RS

JohnGT3RS Rookie

Mar 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    John
    I have both a 991.1 GT3 RS and a Scud. The GT3 RS is technically a more capable car. It is great. You can't go wrong with it. However, there is way more theater (theatre if you are in the UK) in the Scud. The Scud gets way more looks. They both sound great, although the Scud is old school muscle. The performance for both cars is amazing. If I had to chose only one, it would be the Scud.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I have owned 360 CS, 458’s, Speciale, Pista, TDF but somehow have never owned or driven a Scud. Some say it’s a dog relative to CS and Speciale, but IDK. Would like to try some day. Love the looks esp in Coupe form.

22. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If we were closer I’d say let’s trade for an afternoon! I would love to drive a CS.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

honda corse, redhammer and dustman like this.
  23. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I have a 991.2 MT GT3 and a 458 Spider. I like the fact that they're both sports cars, but way different feel. GT3 much more of a race car. 458 more GT.

So in this case, as much as I love both models, I'd have EITHER the GT3 or the Scud, because to me even though I know there are differences between them, they both are much more race-focused. So selling the GT3 for a Scud is a great idea!

ShineKen and redhammer like this.
  24. I currently own a 2007 Scud and 2018 991.2 GT3 Touring.

Scud = occasional, emotional, visceral, pops and gurgling from V8, man-giggles, Italian stallion

GT3 Touring = daily drive, instrumental, logical, rumble from flat 6, admiration, German scalpel

Hope this helps!