GT4 Build Numbers - Solving the Mystery | FerrariChat

GT4 Build Numbers - Solving the Mystery

Discussion in '308/328' started by NoGoSlow, Mar 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    In talking with Mike (absostone), we were exploring the process behind build numbers found on various components for our cars. I'm hoping that we can find out more through FChat crowd-sourcing, especially from our members with close ties to the cognoscenti.

I infer that the numbers are used for tracking components for individual serial number builds. Production planners had an individual build sheet for any given S/N, and with 25-50 cars on the manufacturing line at any given time, that is how they would prevent mix-ups.

Someone once speculated that the numbers start over on certain events, maybe production years, series I vs. series II, etc. From the data above I can't really see a specific pattern other than the general trend where numbers increase over time (until the next reset).

If you have any ideas, or if you have any new details, let me know!

Here is the limited data I have seen people report in the FChat forums:

Build # - S/N... Car Description
    - 08008... rtzuiop - Phil; Austria (1974 Euro, Red / Tan )
    #048 - 08140... Dr Kananga - Buonapart I. Gallia (ex-Jimshadow & EuroDino), Los Angeles CA (1974 Euro, Rosso / Crema)
    #068 - 08180... skipgt4 - Charles VDB; Grand Rapids Michigan, USA (1974 Euro, ? / ?)
    #400 - 09054... PDB - ; Leicestershire, UK (1974 Euro RHD, Red / Crema)
    #491 - 09112... WazzaT - ?; Melbourne Australia (1974 Euro RHD, Monte Carlo Blu / Tan)
    #418 - 09114... DustyM - ?; Ireland (1974 Euro RHD, Blu Chiaro / Beige)
    #600 - 09572... prober34 - Philip Roberts; Redditch, UK (1974 Euro, Red / Black)
    #26 - 09874... jkedino - Juha; Finland (1975 US, Celeste Met / Black)
    #43 - 09966... absostone - ; Chicago Illinois, USA (1975, Factory Avorio Safari / Black)
    #105 - 10026... DinoRossa - Chris Mulvena; Wellington, New Zealand (1975 LHD, Rosso Dino / Tan Fabric)
    #124 - 10080... skullyspice - Erik (ex-GT4 Joe); Los Angeles California, USA (Rosso Bordeaux / Tan)
    #146 - 10130... (ex Brian Harper); San Jose California, USA (Bianco Polo Park / Blue)
    #356 - 10568... NoGoSlow - Mark Jacks, Austin Texas, USA (Bianco Polo Park / Tan)
    #442 - 10630... italcarguy - Anthony Rimicci, Porter Ranch California, USA (Prugna? / Tan)
    #372 - 10688... Dom - Dom V, Southern California, USA (Rosso Boxer / Black)
    #410 - 10766... robertgarven - Robert Garven; Ventura California, USA (Red / Black)
    #1152 - 12842... Patrick Dixon; Bristol, UK (1977 Euro RHD, Blue / Blue)
    #1299 - 13366... John F - John; East Lothian, UK (1977 Euro RHD, Azzuro / Crema)
    #574 - 13834... miked - Mike Dawson; Cincinnati Ohio, USA (Red Boxer / Black)
    #576 13848... Vizsla - Dave Weinberger; Florida USA (Blu Dino Met. / Pella Nuvola)
    #604 14244... 78-308gt4 - Mike; Memphis Tennessee, USA (1978, Red / Black)
    #724 15192... LorenzoT - ; New Jersey, USA (Rosso Rubino / Tan)
    #619 15352... grub - Grant; Sydney, Australia (1979 Euro RHD, Red / Tan)

bertrand328 likes this.
  2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx mark don't forget #1. 7202 strictly Ferrari 1973 Paris show car

3. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    I have 7202 on my list and noted as the first GT4, but don't recall seeing its build number on any of Al's posts. Did I miss it?

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Al posted a photo of a interior part with 1 on it

colinoz likes this.
  5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Mark can the factory answer questions such as , did they start from zero or 1 per model year?

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    but interesting how your 10568 and my09966 possibly first Continental cars came together to the dealer ?

7. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    No clue, although the number sequence resets do not appear to directly align with any calendar or model year break point. It could be as simple as 1-999 then start over.

8. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    The story as told by John Weinberger was that Ferrari approached him on the basis of his other foreign car dealerships. I believe he had all of British Leyland plus Toyota and perhaps others by then. Anyhow, he was told to go to Chinetti and select five new cars for his showroom floor. Since the GT4s were the only official imports that year, and were slow sellers during the early times, it's likely that Chinetti had a backlog of cars and John just wandered through and selected a good mix at random.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

absostone likes this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    BUMP. anyone have some thoughts/ ideas?

11. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    Ok, heres my theory. As I understand it the bodies were built by Scaglietti and shipped to Ferrari for final assembly. So I imagine they would come in numbered batches and unloaded into the yard. depending on how fast they could get to them in the yard an earlier numbered batch could be "buried" behind a higher numbered batch which would be brought inside for assembly first. I dont think they would have been concerned about going in the numbered order since those numbers were just to make sure the hand fitted pieces for each car stayed together. I think the serial numbers were assigned to the car when it came inside.
    That would explain why my car 10080/#124 and 10130/#146 are kind of in order. build numbers separated by 22 but the serial numbers separated by 25. It could also explain why #1299 comes before #574. Also, if a body or series of bodies had defects they could be held up at Scaglietti while later numbered bodies were approved to send to Ferrari. Probably a number of factors at work here.
    Thats my theory, feel free to debunk it or add elaborate on it.

GT4 Joe likes this.
  12. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Seems as logical as any. I think the engine serial numbers were the same. A load of completed engines stored in an area and then retrieved as needed with no apparent sequence.

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Your theory of adding the chassis number later crossed my mind. But I'm thinking when a chassis gets assembled a chassis number was stamped and then the chassis painted. I wonder if back then cars were specifically ordered or where the early batches just built and shipped to sell

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Agreed as for the engines

15. skullyspice

Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    Could the chassis numbers be stamped as they came in the door of Ferrari or would they have to be stamped at Scaglietti?

16. skullyspice

Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    This got me thinking. My other car is a Jensen-Healey (I know). There is a Jensen Museum website http://www.jensenmuseum.org/home/history-and-heritage/ that has these great stories/recollections from the guys who worked in the factory and built the cars. Really fascinating to read how it was all done in the 60s and 70s. Some of them do a "day In the life" type of thing too. Im surprised nothing like that exists for Ferrari what with all the talk of heritage and all. Someone should try to get some stories together while these oldtimers are still around and add a section to Fchat. It would sure help solve a lot of these mysteries!

///Mike likes this.
  17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Skully not sure. who knows back then what they did , it could be possible. Btw I had another thread last year or two asking where the GT4s were built. Everyone said Scaglietti. The reason I asked is cause I have a book by Ludvigsen with a photo of Gt4 being welded and the caption reads , being assembled at Bertone. Crazy.

NOGOSLOW, I hope you are having dinner with MR.W tomorrow, maybe he can shed some light on a whole bunch of things

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Oh I agree, I think the tough part is what we are dealing with here. Ferrari and a 2+2. We all know the rest of the story

skullyspice likes this.
  19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  20. skullyspice

Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    Its amazing to me that so little is known about the process of building these cars, I mean we're only talking about 40 years ago. I think more is known about building the great pyramids than there is known about building a Ferrari from 1975! Ferrari really should have a section of their website dedicated to this sort of thing.

///Mike, GT4 Joe, Dom and 1 other person like this.
  21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well I think part of it is Ferraris top secret attitude, meaning not many people were allowed in the factory back then. I have been searching for photos for years and NOTHING. I have yet to find any photos of a string of GT4s awaiting assembly, other than them being in the paint line. and the other part is that it was a 2+2 and the whole affordable Ferrari thing.

22. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Absolutely correct. The need for secrecy and voodoo has always been part of the mystique of Ferrari (and Dino).

skullyspice likes this.
  23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Mark. Did u ever meet with Mr. W?

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ??????????????????

25. Albert-LP