GT4 RIGHT REAR CALIPER ISSUE | FerrariChat

GT4 RIGHT REAR CALIPER ISSUE

Discussion in '308/328' started by absostone, Jun 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Im doing a complete suspension, brakes and steering rack resto for a new GT4 owner. When I removed the calipers I noticed the right rear caliper had TWO shims behind the Caliper and that it didn't have the typical pistons, but looked much newer and different design to the piston. I sent them in for restoration and I told the company of the differences in the rear calipers. I instructed them to inspect and make it the same as the factory pistons if possible, and if not , I would want a new caliper regardless of cost.I relayed this info to the order taker and the owner of the Brake shop in separate calls. Received calipers, install- bleed. Outer adjuster leaking when setting venting clearance. I thought it was the 6x 1mm outer adjuster seal. picked up new seals same thing happened. Sent it back, supposedly the wrong adjuster . got caliper back again today. same thing again! but worst. step to pump pedal then go back to the caliper and it leaks down to my lift. Wth its just a caliper. This cars history is unknown as it was just purchased in march on BAT. But my clue was the mismatched caliper.
    My only idea is that the outer caliper half adjuster bore is out of wack, meaning it doesn't feel flat where the adjuster shoulder would sit, any ideas? im not looking too bright with the owner

2. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I can only add that when I took my GTS apart to do the suspension a few years ago some of the calipers had shims between the calipers and their mounting brackets. I had never seen that on any other cars and on reassembly. Couldn’t see where .020” or whatever they were would make a difference. I’m pretty sure none of it had been apart since original assembly.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Most cars have single-piston floating calipers (so no need for any adjustment between the caliper and its mount because the caliper is continually self-centering). On fixed calipers (with pistons on both sides of the disk), it's a little more important to have the disk well centered in the caliper (hence the shims for adjustment). It's not like a fixed caliper wouldn't work at all if not well centered on the disk, but it's best practice to have it well centered. You can see F included shims, item 3, with the stock 308 fixed caliper design here:
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/308-group/308gt4/caliper-for-front-and-rear-brakes.html

absostone likes this.
  4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    absostone likes this.
  5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    PMB has been highly recommended here before for rebuilding the 308 calipers: https://www.pmbperformance.com/FerrariBrakes/GT_Ferrari_308.html

Price: $325.00
    Availability: We Restore Your Cores - Turn around time 1-2 weeks
    Prod. Code: LFR

***PRICE IS PER PAIR. WE RESTORE YOUR CORES.***

Having trouble finding someone to fix your 308 rear calipers without ruining your wallet? You've landed on the right page. No Ferrari tax here, just an honest to goodness thorough restoration of your rare rear calipers. Protect your valuable investment with a restoration from PMB Performance.

Complete restoration for your 914-6/GT or Ferrari 308 rear calipers includes:
    · Disassembly to bare core.
    · Removal of stuck or frozen pistons.
    · Replating of caliper cores.
    · Replating of all fasteners.
    · Vibratory polishing of pistons.
    · Cleaning and repainting piston tops with high-temp paint.
    · New factory ATE seals and dust covers throughout.
    · New inner adjuster gear cover.
    · Reassembly with pistons in proper position.

Your calipers will look like the day they came off the factory assembly line (probably better). This is why we say we don’t rebuild calipers, we restore them.

Make sure you select the proper color (factory is yellow however, many of these appear silver due to the dichromate wearing off) and be sure to check our excellent prices for rotors and pads.

***IMPORTANT*** PLEASE DO NOT SEND IN YOUR INNER ADJUSTER GEARS. THESE ARE NLA AND NOT INCLUDED WITH YOUR NEW CALIPERS. IF YOURS ARE MISSING, WE SELL USED ONES FOR $19 A PIECE
    They also sell a rear caliper seal kit for the 914-6 calipers (same as 308 rears): https://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item/1925563/4747457.htm

AClark likes this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    thx all, I have rebuilt a few of these on my own with no issues its really easy actually. The shim issue is that the inner piston wont retract enough to install the pad. This is not my problem, the issue is that the outer adjuster has leaked on two separate occasions and rebuilt 3 times,and the shop which was named here by another member has not been able to correct the problem. So what makes this caliper different? There are only two types of outer adjusters a 8x8mm and a 8x10mm, So, why was this caliper on the car? and what is different on the halves that make it need 2 shims? and why does the adjuster continually leak after being rebuilt 3 times by the premier 914/6 caliper resto shop. if you re read my opening post, they claimed it was the wrong adjuster, I believe there is something wrong with the recessed bore in the piston bore which holds the adjuster . but what?

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    thx. they have more experience than all of us combined. ive rebuilt them before, had this one apart after the first leak which lead me to believe the adjuster was the problem, it wouldn't seat when I replaced the Oring. that's when they said it was the wrong one. now it has been supposedly replaced and pressure tested according to them. this is not a poke to the shop just yet as ive had calipers restored from them before, but why such a continual removal and shipping of a part when they were instructed back in april that if it was not usable for any reason to scrap it. and now im 3 weeks in with BS of parts removal and shipping. just looking to see if anyone has encountered this type of leak

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I here ya, pretty dumb how the calipers have a purpose built spacer for the halves but still needs a 1mm spacer to center. my trick is to rub a light film of red locktight on the spacers and lay on the caliper hole then insert the bolt and press down on it to achieve absence of air for 10minutes off the car. then the shim will stay in place with no juggling of caliper shims and bolt for install. super easy

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    adjuster in question. the top most groove is for the c clip to hold the adjuster in place, the lower groove just above the wide shoulder is where the Oring is placed and s

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I’m really hoping mine don’t leak. I just cleaned up the pistons/calipers and put in new piston seals. The design looks ****e and your experience confirms my worries. If I have trouble I’ll switch to floating— maybe do a kit :)

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’ve never had any problems before. I just installed a rebuilt unit from another vendor so far so good

12. topley

topley Rookie

May 10, 2022
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jay Barton
    Did you ever find out what that caliper issue was? I'm taking mine off to be rebuilt and after loosening the adjusters and removing the pads I have a steady brake fluid drip from the passenger side outer adjuster...
    Jay 81 308 GTSi.

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I believe the Orings were no good and not really sure where that caliper came from it didnt match the otherside. This was a car I was working on.

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Its a real easy job.