GTO 64 - Book by Doug Nye | Page 3 | FerrariChat

GTO 64 - Book by Doug Nye

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Lusso123, Jul 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds, Rosey and Zeltweg like this.
  3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  5. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    A postal address. How quaint. Welcome back to the 19th century!

Their web address appears to be a link to different book with no mention of anything else. No details of pricing or means or ordering. Their registered address is somewhere else entirely. I signed up to their newsletter about the Phil Hill book they published and never got any news at all. Even when it was published, 10 years later, still nothing! Funny way to run a business.

Lusso123 and Zeltweg like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I am sorry I do not know the price for the GTO64 book by Doug Nye.

Marcel Massini

miurasv likes this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Pretty sure Ben Horton at Hortons Books can get you a copy.

[email protected]

Marcel Massini

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I just emailed Doug Nye asking about price and where to buy: I think I will definitely buy this one:)!

miurasv, bloomberg and Zeltweg like this.
  9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Thanks Marcel. Yes, I assume it will turn up at Hortons in due course.

Zeltweg likes this.
  10. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Love the slipcase made for the 3-book set 'Motori Ferrari'. I also have these books and would like to have a slipcase for them. Which bookbinder did you use?

Thank you in advance,

Maarten

Ps, Porter GTO book arrived in one piece and for sure going to order the '64 GTO book. Same team behind it as 'inside track' i believe?

Zeltweg likes this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Doug kindly replied that someone would be in touch and I just got this email from Ian Lambot the publisher:

Dear Marc,

thanks for your kind words about the GTO/64 book. I am expecting the books to arrive in the UK in mid-August and am arranging for the books to be ordered through a new website and also [for clients in France] through Motors-Mania in Pau.

I will forward details of the website when it is up and running, hopefully at the beginning of next week.

all best,

Ian

End of quote.

Will update when I get the info.

12. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    I have just been directed to this thread. The GTO/64 book - just published, with copies still in the process of shipping from the (Far East) printers - covers the background to the entire GTO family before concentrating the vast majority of its 450-odd pages upon the seven GTO/64s built - four converted from so-called 'Series 1' cars plus the three built as GTO/64s from new. The clue happens to be in the title...

I don't 'do' marketing - we bear these kids and others raise them - but I understood a website marketing the book is about to go live.

Just to provide some background, I was asked to tackle this subject about six years ago and refused - saying that yet another perishing book on the GTOs could not possibly tell us anything new.

Those seeking to commission me persisted, convinced there was more waiting to be unearthed - or corrected.

I finally gave in, and soon discovered they had been right!

in fact the past three years of work to produce this volume has been really interesting and we have unearthed quite a lot of new material, and it has highlighted hitherto largely uncredited players in the cars' design and construction which enable us at last to pay due credit to these individuals' artistry, and to their craftsmanship, and to their memory.

I am also happy to have devoted many pages to the GTO/64s' Italian competition career on the hills and mountains, and that itself has unlocked a wonderful treasury of seldom-seen or previously unpublished photography.

Since some posters here seem more exercised about delays to the publication of other projects in which I have been involved, I can only say that I would rather these books emerge as and when they are as right as I can make them (an objective never yet achieved 100 per cent) and if you can't wait, part of me can only apologise - while another part just says "tough ----".

Fortunately 'Inside Track' - the Phil Hill books - seem to be rated as having been worth waiting for, and I hope that the Mr Ferrari biography will trigger a similar response. And, by the way, I think Vol 1 of my BRM Saga took me 16 years to produce, and Vol 2 another eight. Vol 3 was quick, only about five years. Vol 4 - hmmmm, I'm glad you mentioned that. Moving right along...but, again, they seem to have been rated as having been well worth waiting for.

Producing these works to a standard that I consider reasonable consumes the writers' life, and I have always taken care to devote a smidgeon of my life to my other responsibilities, and particularly to those concerning my family...for which I would hope, if not to be forgiven, to be at least understood...

Have I made myself clear?

DCN

13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Thanks for the update Doug.

You refer to comments I made (slightly tongue-in-cheek) about the length of time your works take to appear and I repeat that they are always excellent and worth waiting for. Albeit that I wish it wasn't necessary to wait quite so long for some of them!!!

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I've just done a little digging... The book will be officially launched mid August, there's more to tell, but I was asked not to say. Estimated price around £240 - £260 GBP.

of2worlds, ChoroQ, etienne and 5 others like this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Motors Mania in Pau (France), mentioned in Marc's post #61, are the ones from whom I got the Testa Rossa 59-60 book and the ordering and shipping were flawless.

of2worlds, seb333, Nembo1777 and 3 others like this.
  16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    For the GTO 64 book, I just received a note from one of my contacts that "....the publishers website should be up next week for pre orders."

17. C-59

C-59 Rookie

Jan 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Parker
    It's a fantastic book on all seven S2 cars going into great detail on the Engineering, designers, craftsmen, teams, detailed race descriptions in 64/65 and many details that have never been published. This is no run-of-the-mill GTO book! A huge effort by Doug Nye!

of2worlds, Lusso123, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thanks for adding your comments to the thread Doug.

As you know, you have a direct line of contact with so many of your book buyers here.

Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on various book related topics more often.

Cheers

375+ likes this.
  19. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Thank you for your interest. I have been a motor racing book collector since I was about ten years old (about twenty years ago then - I wish) and our local mail man and my wife have a running joke in which whenever he says to her "No books for Doug today" - she responds "The next one will absolutely be his LAST".

For a recent issue of the British magazine 'The Automobile' I was invited to present a feature on 'desert island' books, the ones I might like to take ashore for entertainment and enlightenment as the castaway days drag. Now that - from a collection of several thousand books (and tens of thousands of magazines) plus the collections amassed by my old friends and mentors Denis Jenkinson and Geoff Goddard - was NOT an easy assignment.

But I don't spend much time on the internet, except on the 'Autosport' Nostalgia Forum, so forgive me if I don't contribute here often. You all seem to be doing absolutely brilliantly without a big, bald, beardie-weirdie Brit interrupting and using some of your electrons...

DCN

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I thought Marcel was Swiss... and when did he grow a beard ?? :) :)

Nembo1777, Doug Nye and Terra like this.
  21. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Available for pre-order at Horton's (no affiliation) for 280 pounds and shipping.

stevewak and Zeltweg like this.
  22. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Or from www.motors-mania.com in Pau (France), for EUR 350,- . Shipping is included for Europe and Switzerland.

Zeltweg likes this.
  23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    This one sounds like the best of the two GTO books. And Doug Nye always does such nice work on his books. I ordered mine from Motors-Mania as usual.

bloomberg, Rosey and Zeltweg like this.
  24. Zeltweg

Zeltweg Karting

Apr 8, 2021
    A couple of book sellers are now taking pre orders. Is it worth waiting to pre order on the new website?

25. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    Ordered from Hortons. Thanks for the tip.