GTS Vs. Spider sound | FerrariChat

GTS Vs. Spider sound

Discussion in '360/430' started by stuffedbeaver, Sep 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stuffedbeaver

stuffedbeaver Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2004
    Thinking of getting out of my 996 GT3RS and back into an F355. Used to have a Spider, but now want a GTS.
    So, I drove a '98 GTS at the weekend in pretty foul weather, meaning I had little chance to open the car up...BUT when I did the F1 style scream that I remember from the Spider just wasn't there. I realise a canvas roof/ top off is obviously going to let more noise in, but the GTS just seemed to miss the 355 sound. Is there an option of quietening the sound which the previous owner may have used?

Also, the car is from a main dealer but the history shows 6 previous owners and a replaced speedo, so the current reading is 9000 miles off the accumulated 15000. Should I worry ?

2. stuffedbeaver

stuffedbeaver Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2004
  3. Blow Dog

Blow Dog Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    I'd be interested in the same answer.
    Looking for a 360M but was only able to drive a 360 Spider with the hood up - Not sure if it was comparable.

Cem

4. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Can't tell, never driven a spider.
    Sound is night and day between top on and top off in a GTS.
    It's well possible that a spider's soft top mutes the sound a lot less when it's on than the GTS hard top.

5. stuffedbeaver

stuffedbeaver Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2004
    Cem,

Sounds like you've made your mind up about the RS.

I tried mine in the Sunday Times with no response, plus reduced it on Pistonheads to 83k.....

Drove the GTS on Saturday, think I'm going the Ferrari way too...

Martin

6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i have driven several f355s, both spiders , gtbs and gts...the sound seems to vary from car to car...several dealers have told me the same thing...some of the cars seem to sound wimpy with a tubi and some i felt didnt really need a tubi...certainly you do hear the sound louder with a spider, top up or down....however, the 360 top is very well lined and can mute the sound a great deal.....but i feel tubis are a must for ALL ferraris

7. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil