Guess the VIN | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Guess the VIN

Discussion in '308/328' started by speedy, Aug 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lars Theunissen

Lars Theunissen F1 Veteran

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    40339 is a US-model Mondial 8, 50339 should be correct for this 308.

Ciao,

Lars T.

2. bjhunt1975

bjhunt1975 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2006
    ICT
    Full Name:
    B.J.
    I recently sold #41695 made in January 83 and it was 1 of 3 PRE-production qv's. Fwiw

3. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    #28 speedy, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Agreed.

I was thinking about this a little more.... Let me throw this out there

We know the VIN plate was wrong from the factory. Ferrari mis-stamped this one, just like they made other mistakes on the assembly line that got through. The import sticker on the door jam proves that it was mismatched since 1984 and this car was registered with the 40339 number ever since then. The registered VIN for this car is still the only one like it in the world. The other car (a Mondial) does not have the same full 17 digit VIN number. Only the last 5 digits are the same as far as the registration is concerned.

So my question is: Does this car "need" anything as far as registration/title changes are concerned?

I suppose if someone were to want to go through the expense of changing the VIN plate, then they could go to Ferrari and get a new one made or just keep an odd and very interesting car. Personally I would want the VINs to match but I'm not going to shell out a bunch of cash and run the risk of having this car "re-federalized".

Thoughts????

P.S. I was under the impression that VIN plates (the riveted ones) are the only ones used for registration in any vehicle.

4. eracer

eracer Karting

May 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Eric W.
    #29 eracer, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. bjhunt1975

bjhunt1975 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2006
    ICT
    Full Name:
    B.J.
    The Highway Patrol Inspector at the DMV said the only plate he could use was the Federal on the steering column and not the one in the door, for what it's worth. Maybe KS is different.

BJ

6. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    There is something wrong with your serial number. The fourth letter should be "L" if your car is a "euro". What year is your car, and do you have a picture?

7. eracer

eracer Karting

May 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Eric W.
    No, "H" is correct. It's an '82 GTSi.

http://www.nwrfca.org/faq/vin.htm --just interesting reading on Ferrari VINs for those who haven't seen it before.

8. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #33 Neonzapper, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Ah, okay. Since this thread and my original post has been about QVs, it sounded like you were saying that you also have a QV (which you don't) with an "H" instead of an "L" for the fourth letter. No problem with your correct VIN ;)

B.J. - Congrats on having owned one of the first 3 QVs produced for the U.S. market! http://308qvregister.com/1983/41695.htm lists your production date as January 1983, but being a PRE-production QV, shouldn't that be January 198"2"? If it is a Pre-production QV, it would be produced before the actual prodution run of QVs started. My VIN (44151) is higher than your (41695) VIN and my euro QV was manufactured in November, 1982. I would assume by your lower VIN that your car was made before mine. What is the actual begining date for the QV? I know it was introduced officially to the public at the October 1982 Paris Auto Salon (show). I'm interested in knowing more about this. Thanks. Neon