Gulfstream G800 | FerrariChat

Gulfstream G800

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TX77005, Nov 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TX77005

TX77005 Rookie

Jan 22, 2006
    Evergreen CO
    With Gulfstream’s announced G800 with an 8,000 nm range, that implies flights could be up to ~16 hours. Two basic questions for the long-haul pilots here:

Are 3 pilots enough to cover a flight of this duration (say under Part 135 just to keep it simple)? What would be the typical rotation between pilots during the flight?

What does the poor flight attendant do for rest? Assuming one pilot is occupying the crew rest area where do they go for a break? Discreetly grab a seat in the passenger compartment or hang out in the jump seat up front? Or are they on their feet working the whole flight

Thanks for any insight you can provide - of course this is merely hypothetical for us commercial coach class types.

2. Cantering1

Cantering1 Karting

Mar 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Miguel A Serrano
    Max duty time is 14 hrs and applies to the two required pilots. Two crews are needed to avoid getting grounded for rest. The 14 hrs can be extended if already in flight, but the period includes ground duty time; very tricky to comply with if wanting to do many consecutive legs.

3. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

When I used to spend a lot of time in a G5 (Part 91) - we would generally never do max range trips because the company procedure was full duplicate crew (4 pilots, 2 FAs) and that meant 3-4 extra pax in the cabin for an already very long trip. The airplane could do it but the passengers didn't want to. As awful as it sounds, we'd typically airline for the super long legs. Now a privately owned G800 with just an owner + small family on board who doesn't mind getting cosy together with a well known crew could do it and I'd imagine just one FA since you really don't need 16 hours of continuous service (there is bound to be a good chunk of that time that is sleeping/quiet time) but you'd still have to accomodate 3 extra pax essentially in the cabin during sleeping time.

4. TX77005

TX77005 Rookie

Jan 22, 2006
    Evergreen CO
    Thanks - that’s pretty much what I figured. It’s much easier to make things work if the passengers don’t mind hanging out with the extra crew.

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Your company policy was elective. With 19 or under passengers having a flight attendant is not an FAA requirement. A third pilot so there is rotation of flying duties should be all that is required. In a 135 I do believe the FAA is requiring that the pilot rest area is segregated so there is not passenger/crew traffic where they are sleeping.

MYIXXI likes this.
  6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Under part 91, there are no rest and duty requirements. Best practices would suggest otherwise, though.

7. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Yes, I did not mean to imply it was anything other than elective company policy (possible insurance might have had requirements too - I have no idea)