Gumball 360spider crash | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Gumball 360spider crash

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rico, May 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I swear, that "race" is the dumbest thing I have heard of. Driving those speeds, that carelessly, on open public roads? I am not surprised crap like this happens.

TAKE IT TO THE TRACK, you insecure wankers. Geez!!!!!!!!

2. Monkie

Monkie Karting

May 1, 2004
    I agree 110% with you.

3. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    It's not a race, it's a rally. There's no price or anything. It's just a lot of people getting together having fun and partying with nice cars. Those ****ers driving that fast is their own problem, not something to blame the Gumball.

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Wrong, as usual, Jonas. The Gumball promotes its on-the-road "antics" as an intehral part of the whole experience. While I agree that accidents are the direct responsibility of those involved, the organizers aggressively promote reckless behavior at absurd speeds on public roads in cars usually much more capable than their drivers. Is it any wonder that there are serious accidents? It is a true miracle that there have not already been deaths.

If you wanna have stis sort of "rally", at least be smart & do what FNA does for its rallies' high-speed sections: close the roads & require helmets.

And again, it is only insecure wankers who feel the need to prove their motoring "prowess" on open public roads.

IMO, of course..

5. Monkie

Monkie Karting

May 1, 2004
    Trust me...when the first death comes along then you can say "bye bye" to Gumball.

6. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Have you watch the Gumball: THE movie dvd? - The promoter Maximillion Cooper does not promote fast and reckless behavior. It's the word afterward from all the participants who promotes the fast driving. The Gumball is not about speed, it's about adventure and exotic cars. While I agree with you, that these accidents wouldn't happen if it wasn't for the race. So in that way, it is responsible for all the fast driving. But my point is, that they don't promote wreckless and fast driving as a part of the gumball.

7. Monkie

Monkie Karting

May 1, 2004
    Where can you get the Gumball DVD?

8. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
  9. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Jonas, you are correct: that VIDEO does not promote recklessness. However, read the promo materials, the registration materials, all the breathless lead-ups to the event. Heck, I am on their email list--I have received dozens of them over the last 2 years!!! The video is not their problem.

Again, wrecks are the responsibility of those insecure wankers involved--I don't dispute that. However, the promoters DO create an environment that says anything goes, any behavior, any speed, any deliberate contempt for the rules of the road, any flagrant violation of basic safety common sense is at least tolerated if not encouraged. Were this not the case, the assholios who repeatedly run each other & other vehicles off the road, drive on shoulders to pass at 160 mph in traffic, etc etc etc on those videos WOULD NOT BE PERMITTED TO RUN THE RLLY AGAIN.

The fact that this did not, has not, and likely will not happen proves me right.

10. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Agree, to the fullest. They do create idea and eviroment that anything goes. You're right. I just think we misunderstood eachother :)

11. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    There will always be temptations to do stupid things in life! We can stick our head in the sand and just hope it doesnt happen or we can take some sort of action> IMO events like this will take place as organized and open like this or not so and much more clandestine and dagerous. We as a concerned group of intellects should get involved in these events in a positive way instead of just arm chair complaining. In this case I would think getting involved in some sort of self-policing such as kicking there @sses out of the gumball if they do this.

12. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    sorry to ruin the rant but i would love to run in the gumball!

13. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I don't know about stupid wankers trying to do a rally, I think it is a lot of fun and exciting to drive insanlely fast on those open roads. I saw the last Gumball rally video from NY to LA (2003) and man that was insane and looked so much fun!
    I go to the track regularly, but nothing changes the fact that an open road has a lot more grip, and you can see a lot further and can open up the car to its speed limit. I don't know of any tracks around here that let's me do that, so I also take the open roads early in the morning to get some speed rush through my blood.

Cheers,

P.S. At some point or another all of us have sped on the open roads, let's be honest with each other.

14. cab7104

cab7104 Karting

Mar 25, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Craig
    In relation to the environment causing the stupid speeds, someone who I went to school with was a very responsible driver. He decided to race once, and off the line pinched the shock of his 72 Nova. It flipped his car, and put his wife in the hospital for 3 months. He didn't usually race, and never drove fast when not on the track.One mistake can put you in a rough place, whether the event is a group or not. Luckily for my friend, he and his wife survived, and he has lived a good life from there on out. This kind of story makes me want to drive more carefully, but I would still drive in the Gumball, and still plan on it. Like you both agreed to, its the people, not the event.

Craig

15. 308guy

308guy Rookie

May 9, 2004
  16. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    FYI,
    The 360 Rear ended a tractor sendind them both off the road. I understand the driver suffered a bloody nose and passanget is OK. I have no clue what happened to the tractor's driver.

As for the crazy driving. It seems that over time it is becoming more reckless and there are more accidents. Always gonna be someone trying to break a previous record or top a previous stunt.

My .02

PD

17. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

It's cool, Jonas. Imagine that--common ground!!

:)

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Of course they impicitly promote the speed! The promos for last year's movie (which I haven't seen) hail the Koenigsegg for going 240 mph.

I think they are crazy and dangerous, but I still take guilty pleasure in watching the footage...

19. Malfoy

Malfoy Formula 3

Mar 22, 2004
    Hampton, VA
    maranelloman:
    *complain**complain* and please if you dont mind *complain* some more. As your mother always said: If your friends jump off a bridge, you gonna do it? How about if i tell you too? I don't care what the event "promotes". There is no incentive being given to carry out what you claim is being promoted. [Theres a BIG difference between paying someone something to do something and just saying "wouldnt it be cool to.." as far as the law and common sense is concerned]
    I think its safe to say that majority if not all of these people in the gumball are of legal age and possibly just possibly, OLD ENOUGH TO FORM THEIR OWN OPINIONS on matters. These aren't high schoolers, they should be above peer pressure, or some email/posters that say "no rules!". I think I'll put a sign up that says "No rules, do what you want" and wait for someone to complain I'm inciting anarchy, or an act of terrorism even. That'll be fun.

maranelloman, its nothing personal, so please dont take it that way. I just get all hot and bothered when people blame what they beleive to be the influence(be it this, or video games, music, movies, tv, etc) than the people who made the decisions(you know those crazy news stories). I dunno, but i'm just guessing that 90% of the gumballers are more than well off and dont have too many issues from childhood:bad parenting, abuse, etc. So their behavior can really only be blamed on themselves. Not some brit who says "hey rich young adults, come bring ur cars and lets drive!"

20. ciao baby

ciao baby Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2004
    DC<---> MB
    Full Name:
    Michael Karagiannis
    Bogus..
    , Heinous...,
    Most non-triumphant
    360 Spyder why,why, why dont be dead dude.....
    "Fr some reason I had a Bill and Ted flashback when reading this post..
    There should be some kind of penalty for wrecking an exotic while doing something dumb a$$ off a race track.\\MK

21. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm sure that I saw this 360 spider traveling on the A303 Ilminster by-pass (just outside of Yeovil Somerset) heading towards London on Monday last week. (Bank Holiday Monday)

The plate 'WA' means that it was registered in the South West, perhaps supplied by Carrs in Exeter, it was coming from that direction.

It really saddens me to see it like it is now. Why treat such a machine with no respect? I know that accidents happen, but I'm guessing that due to the nature of the event, that this was down to speed and carelessness.

I suppose if you wanna die, then what better place to be sat......

Does anybody know this guy?

22. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Personally, I love the "anything goes" aspect. Does that mean you have to drive 180mph all along? hell no. I feel like it encourages people to use their brain, with more or less success, I admit. Does it get out of hand? Somewhat. Should supercar rallies be banned because they create a road-racing mood? Hardly possible.

BTW, do you think it would change a thing if the organizer said "no speeding, people"? It's politically incorrect to say "do whatever you want" ... but it does fit perfectly the spirit of Canonball Run (the movie). It gives whiners a chance to b!tch and moan ...

23. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    I think that the ultimate punishment for wrecking an exotic is having your picture taken and shown to everyone in the world... GOOD JOB ASS CLOWN!

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep very sad and stupid. It is always the innocent people that seem to get hurt more ... and while no children are (hopefully) entered they could be out driving with their parents.

Why does the police/army not stop this stupid ****. All it does is fnck it for the rest of us and we get this stupid speed kills focus from the police, because of these wankers, and thus you get booked for 5mph over the speed limit.

I'm glad I live in Australia, because I would hire a fncken BIG truck and block their path and then shoot holes in ALL their tyres, if I lived over their ... :D :D

Pete

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There are many rallies organised where speed is not the incentive and drivers play the game ... but most I can think of still close the road to the public.

The Targa Tasmania has 2 sections (atleast), the all out race and a classic rally. They close the roads and you get to race on normal roads.

That is how responsible organisers do it.

NO MOTORSPORT EVENT OR TOUR OR RALLY OR ANYTHING SHOULD ENDANGER THOSE THAT HAVE NOT ENTERED.

Imagine if it was YOUR family that was involved in an accident.

Can the FIA do anything to stop this event?, as I might contact them ... and I am serious.

Pete