Gumball 360spider crash | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Gumball 360spider crash

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rico, May 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I was trying to point out that those careless drivers will get into an accident, in or out of the Gumball. They don't have an accident because they are in the Gumball. We hear about it because they are in the rally. This is perhaps the only difference with the car the guy crashed previsouly.
    And I do not believe that speeding is inherently dangerous. Behavior is. What I disagree the most with is the "drive during the day and party all night, let's stay up for 40 hours". I wouldn't do that. Driving 200mph if conditions allow it? Sure.

FYI, how can speed be the incentive, when last year's "winner" was ... a chevy truck? LMAO.

We all care about auto safety, but I think some have found too easy of a target (quite surprising from fellow enthusiasts). If people learned how to drive in the first place, we would go one step further. Forbidding 150 cars from driving through their judgement and not the speed limits once a year would be totally useless, or even worse, relegating driving above the speed limit to the closet, even among enthusiasts. :(

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete

Good answer but I think you slightly missed my point.

When ever a car with numbers on it, obviously involved in some car event is involved in an accident or caught speeding it harms all MOTORSPORT. Why?, because the greenies and politicians and other anti-motorsport people see it and start moaning. Thus this event is actually an ANTI-motorsport and car event because it is 100% in NON-enthuisasts face.

If the event was serious about non-speeding and sensible behaviour on the road then they would have these rules:
    - Instantly kicked out of the event for any road rule violation, ie. ticketed by the police.
    - NEVER ever allowed to enter again for the above incident.

The fact that the organisers do not do this shows that they do not care about other road users. This is 100% exactly the attitude that all other forms of motor sport or enthuisasts car use has been battling against for 50 years.

Yes I am not against speeding, but I am very much against it when wearing numbers or participating in a car enthuisast event because it sends a bad message that ALL car enthusisasts are dickheads and irresponsible.

Example:

Many years ago I took my club car to get scrutineered for a weekend of racing. They used a vehicle testing station (used in NZ to check road worthliness, etc.). My car at the time was road worthy thus I drove to the event with numbers on, etc. After my car passed I drove home and I left a little too excited and sped down a public road. When I turned up at the race track I was marched off to the boss of the event and given a very, very stern telling off!, and told I would loose my racing license if I was witnessed being a dickhead on a public road again, wearing the event SPONSORS name, etc. One of the scrutineers had seen me scream down the road ... and did the right thing and reported me.

EDIT: 2nd example:
    Do you think that tractor owner is going to spread nice messages about Ferraris and the event ... er, ofcourse not he is going to blabber at his local pub about being hit off the road by one of those stupid fncken Ferraris. Then he will go on saying why do they make stupid cars like that, they all should be safe like Volvos, and be speed limited. Man it could have cost my life ... then he will have another beer, and tell somebody else and so on. Thanks arsehole driving the 360, thanks very much for spreading the message that car enthuisasts are idiots!

So you guys might think it is harmless but the bad press from any innocent person being involved in a MOTORSPORT related accident, etc. fncks the sport for all of us, and once more we enthuisasts will be seen as irresponsible road users, and the speed kills message will sing out from the police, greenies, Volvo owners, etc.

Do you get my point now? ... I hope so :).

Pete

3. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    I dunno, I see that as a show on the road, a chance to see special cars "in their environment". With the performance of these cars and the publicity of the event, bad things are known the second they happen.
    You chose to see that as an all-out race where drivers are pedal to the metal from start to finish. Watch the Gumball movie, and you'll see it's more respectful than it looks like from far. With a "fnck you!" twist that I like ;)

I do understand your point ... just think you should loosen up some ;). I'll just say I understand, but disagree. :D

BTW, I do think these events will be forbidden rather soon because of the recklessness of some drivers and the misconceptions of haters. So let's just hurry up and get in while we can :D:D:D

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Shawn, 2 points:

1) I clearly stated in my post that I hold those involved in accidents of this sort as the directly responsible parties, period. However, the organizing body also bears indirect responsibility for encouraging this atrocious behavior and by not punishing those who pathologically endanger others on open public roads

2) the number of accidents & other incidents in the Gumball every year disproves your point totally; while rich, these wankers clearly are easily cajoled by peer pressure, and clearly have severe insecurity issues that only magnify when behind the wheel of supercars

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I just hope that the competitors get hurt or killed and not the innocent people that did not enter.

Remember what happened at Le Mans in '55 when all those spectators got killed, remember what happened to the Mille Miglia around the same time.

When ever innocent people are hurt relating to motorsport then motorsport suffers. The organiser of this event is an idiot and simply making money and risking other road users lives.

Personally if there is any death resulting from this event, the organiser should be charged with manslaughter. That is what would happen in New Zealand and Australia ... but then we have laws down here ;)

Pete

BTW:

I love motorsport and NOT being able to play in it because of these wankers exciting the anti brigade pisses me off. Plus I also value human life more than the site of any supercar ... as you should ;) They look and sound just as good when the road is CLOSED to other road users!!!!

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    FULLY agree!!!!! They need to take it to a track for a 6 hour or higher endurance race or some such. To promote MANY parties to conduct such activities on public roads... Sad thing is, it MIGHT stop when many innocent people get killed.

7. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ouch on the Ferrari & Jaguar!! You'd think being behind the wheel of these types of cars, your judgement would be better.

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    It's impossible to tell what happened here, folks. It could have been unavoidable and a genuine accident or even someon else's fault. So there is no point judging this individual.

That said, street racers are hard to get to the track. The excuses are legion, such as too inconvenient, too expensive, have to do laundry, blah, blah, blah.

I think one real excuse is fundamental insecurity about being in an evironment where having the fancy car does not necessarily make you fast.

And I'll admit a perverse and intense pleasure when I get to wax a guy in an exotic (only if he struts and thinks he is fast) with a lowly Miata.

I like to say that I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. That's what makes racing such a hoot. Who'd think you could be white-knuckled going 95 mph? Race and see!

9. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Who would ever had imagined.

But I have one thing to say in defense of the rally. There are several track events planned throughout the race so the drivers can let of the steam and rage of driving fast there.

10. cab7104

cab7104 Karting

Mar 25, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I believe if you check, there were not any accidents last year, and one accident the year before... this year has been exceptionally bad, which is a shame, but again, the fault of the driver, not the organizer. If you crash at a track during an event, you could kill spectators, does this mean that you shouldn't be able to drive at the track?? I am not saying that it is smart/responsible for people to drive at 200mph in close proximity to other people who don't want to be involved, but again, people in ricers will do 150 which is no safer. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that they are "rich wankers" as some people say. I have seen plenty of terrible accidents on the highway because people were pushing a Civic(clearly not meant to handle at 120mph) beyond its safe limits, and hurt other people. At least the people on this event have cars that have the capability of handling that sort of speed.

Craig

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You are not serious are you, surely?

BTW: If a spectator at a race track event gets hurt the event organisers are liable (sp?) as it is their fault for not providing adequate protection. If your car is found to have a known defect that caused the accident then you could end up liable.

Thus every accident in this event IS the organisers responsibility IMO, as he is the promoter that instigated an event that mixed dangerous speeds (for any driver, even Michael Schumacher on public roads) with non-partcipating innocent people.

I just cannot believe you cannot get it through your heads that other road users have not chosen to enter, but by allowing this sort of racing on the road they have all been defaulted to enter and be exposed to the risk.

Have a child mate, and then think about the consequences of these rich wankers hitting your car and killing your child, before he or she has had a chance at life ... and way less of a chance than the rich wanker that killed him or her.

200 mph or even 150 mph is not safe on public roads no matter what car you are driving and what level your skills are. You just never know what the other drivers are going to do, or even pedestrians. Anywhere where you have huge speed differentials is dangerous, even on a race track.

I honestly thought anybody that had passed pubity would see that, obviously I am wrong.

BTW: The reason high speeds are safe on autobalns (sp?) is because they have strick regulations, ie. the fast lane is for fast speeds, the next not so fast, etc. When a slow car wanders into the fast lane they have huge accidents ...

Pete

12. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    I agree completely. Just like you, I feel that every irresponsibly organised event (putting uninvolved people at risk) just gives more ammo to the "anti-enthusiasts", and that makes me sad.

I feel like hacking their web page and replacing it with a big red "Take it to the Track, you sorry wankers !!" ;)

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Now that would be funny!. I don't have the hacking abilities but if I can help out some way please PM me :D

Pete

14. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    as i said in the Europe thread - gumball 3000

it is sad.

it's complete wrong to see '''millionaires''' ?????? doing these things.
    Some of them have a car they even didn't drive before the race.

Last year, they showed it on tv, and a guy crashed his Mercedes, paid the men his accidented car in cash, and continued the race in another car....

this is not the real life, sorry, you can't pay everything with $ ....

This game is continueing untill there will be people killed, that's all, and it will be to late....

It's really a bad thing, sorry. and as said : those wankers are making it bad for us.

15. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    It looks bad. I haope they were not hurt.

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #66 wax, May 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It may not be big, it may not be red, but... wait, let me rephrase th-
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    That was in 2001 and his name is Kimble. He's an x-hacker, who turn 180 degrees and developed anti-hacking software and became a billionaire in the age of 21.

www.kimble.org

18. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Just wondering if you feel that way when your sister or mother gets killed by someone who drives n such a Rally and claims his civil rights give him the "right" to do whatever he pleases otherwise it is Terrorism!

19. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Reading through all of those post you have to wonder where the heads of some of the posters are.

You have no right to speed.
    You have no right to endanger others
    You have no right to drive period.

Read it on your license it is a driving PRIVILEDGE. Those have to be earned. Those can be taken from you.

I would not call them "rich" wankers just because they are driving his or that exotic car. I would call them stupid wankers.

How can you ever justify an accident with a tracktor as being something that was unavoidable? The damn thing is going 20Mph for crying out loud?

The reason those idiots dont drive on the track is, they don't know how to drive in the first place. On the track your true ability shows and you are easily exposed as not being capable. All it takes is lack of intellect to pass on sholders in standing traffic, but it takes skills to pass in a corner on a race track.

Gumball 3000:
    He who is willing to endanger most people wins!

20. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "On the track your true ability shows and you are easily exposed as not being capable."

I have personally tested this adage and found it to be true, sadly. ;)

21. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I could be mistaken, since I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the gumballs, but I do remember reading somewhere that the only way participants can make the various checkpoints on time is if they actually do speed. Is there any truth to that? If so then the organizers certianly have a share in the blame.

22. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Interesting reading, am i to asume that the people opposed to the gumball never ever speed no matter how many mph over, and check there tyre presures on there 170 plus super cars every time they get in there ferraris. I am also a biker, we are supposed to check tyre presures every time we go out.Say you go out without doing this in your car and you lose controll and mow down inocent bystanders, is that not as irisponsable as speeding? After i have posted this i would bet that every one will claim they check there tyres before every run LOL! The reason why i have posted this is becourse about 17 years ago my girl frend lost control of her car becourse of tyre presures, and another car was involved. The police pressed charges against her for not haveing correct presures.Sorry about my spelling, but you know i dont give a F**K.

23. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    We have all exceeded speedlimits before. Every driver is guilty of that!
    There is a difference though of speeding 10-20Mph over limit on an open highway or racing at 150Mph along the sholder passing standing cars trying to make good time in a Rally.

The accident statistic of Gumball proves it is! If you crash 4 out of 50 cars on a rally of 1000 miles you have a serious problem on your hands. I can speed and not crash every 12.500 Miles! Statistically speaking.

24. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    My favorite saying:

"on the track boys seperate from men!"

25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Chaa, I doubt that any of us are any where close to being as pure as the driven snow. HW, the Gumball rallies and other street racers are having an impact on us, whether we like it or not. In Texas, we now have tougher laws due to several deaths caused by street racers, both cars and bikes. As you know, any fool can walk into a bike dealer and ride out on a bike that just a few short years ago would have been a gran prix racer.

In the video games and movies, this all looks so cool. In real life, people die. Personally, the Gumball rallies offend me. I like to have my fun on QT and not be so obnoxious about it. If this stuff keeps up, we will see more and more laws against having too much fun.

Take care, Dale