Gym Etiquette.... | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Gym Etiquette....

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by luv2detail, Nov 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    "Teammates" or "Inmates"? Eat a lot of tossed salad too?

I crack myself up...

2. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I usually found that I NEVER saw "the naked guy" actually IN the gym at any point. I'm fairly convinced they go there specifically to walk around naked.

My g/f has also alerted me to the fact that this phenomenon also takes place on the women's side.. if only the two groups could somehow meet each other.

3. wjw300tt

wjw300tt Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    chilliwack BC Canada
    I would gather his crap up and throw it in a locker to give him a hint what lockers are for.
    No nakedness in our sauna allowed, must wear a towel.

4. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    At the old small gym I used to go to, the owner once picked up a meatheads bag, and threw it in a locker.. when the meathead found out he started yelling and screaming, took out his gun (which was in the bag) and started shooting.. He didn't hit anybody.. But he did go to jail..

Note.. Don't mess with a juiceheads bag...

5. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yeah, funny thing about this is that it's this little old Chinese doctor fellow. Quiet as a church mouse.

I had made reference to the fact I had to move his stuff to get to my locker (and apologized for it) once before...but he doesn't get the hint and just keeps leaving the bench covered in his crap. So the other day, he did it again and was nowhere to be found. I pulled the locker-room attendant aside and asked him to gently suggest to this fellow that he start using a locker. I saw the attendant today and he said our church mouse went absolutely ape-**** and was completely offended. Again, what a *****.

Moral of the story - don't move anybody's **** - juicer or church mouse.

6. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
  7. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    I'd like to add fat people in compression shirts/pants to the lis tof things that shouldn't happen.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I can tell who's a stripper at my gym now, nothing like sweat & body glitter left on the work out benches.

9. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    1) People with old stinking t-shirts they didn't wash.... and ate loads of garlic last evening

2) why do peoeple sit down right next to you in the sauna when there is PLENTY of space?

3) people sitting on machines texting or talking on their cell phones

4) people entering a yoga class after it started, and leaving before it ended. If you don't have the time to stay the whole time, don't go in the first place! BTW: Theat goes for all group traing classes.

5) Spinning! No matter how hard you try, you will not pass the gorgeous babe with the nice ass!!

6) Loud instructors that are pissed of if not everyone shouts "GRRREEAATTT!!!!" when he/she shouts "HOW ARE YOU DOIN'!!!!"

10. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    People who think that what they are doing is more important than what anybody else might do (and insist that others stop their exercise/activity). For example: Lady, stop bouncing (gently) that volleyball against the outer wall of the racquetball court; it interferes with our play. Yes, this happened at my gym. Three guys playing racquetball stopped their "game" to tell one woman, who was quietly bouncing a volleyball against the outer shared wall of the racquetball court (a wall shared with the basketball court). The racquetball players could make all the noise they wanted, but she wasn't suppose to practice her volley no matter how gently she did it.

11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    1) People who bring a huge bag to the gym and spread their junk all over the lockerroom bench so that others can't use it.

2) People who dry themselves off in front of their lockers,leaving a big puddle behind.

3) People who come into the sauna wearing their sweaty exercise clothes and stink up the room.

12. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon

Or leave it out and open, with odds and ends around while they're lifting.

13. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    FOCUS: It's not a breach of "etiquette", per se, but the only thing I find annoying in the gym is people that are not there to work. The way I see it, if I'm going to spend an hour of my day in the gym I'm going to work my ass off. If there isn't sweat flowing from the tip of my nose after a set of squats, I'm not working hard enough. Reading US Weekly on the elliptical machine for 45 minutes without breaking a sweat isn't working. Doing 3 x 10 super easy sets on a machine isn't working. Those people have as much right to be there as I do, but they are always the first to turn up their noses at me when they see me train. And they are DEFINITELY the first to sneer when I set down hard after a heavy deadlift pull. Sorry lady, but 500 pounds is heavy and I'm smoked. Get back to your 5 pound curls so you can "tone" your arms that are covered in 30% body fat.

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    There are misguided snobs in all walks of life.

15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I get a little irritated by that sort of thing too. :eek:

I'm part of a squash club at the university gym and it's great in that players of all levels get to play each other. So although I'm really more of an intermediate player, I get to play guys who are REALLY very good indeed. What irritates me sometimes is that there are times when I feel like my opponent isn't trying as hard as I am to win each point. When this is against someone of lesser ability than me, it's frustrating to see them give up on a point before they've really lost it beyond all recovery. Come on, sprint an extra step and reach the ball!

When it's a player of greater ability than me, it's infuriating because it makes me feel like they're deliberately going easy on me. If I get a few points in a game, I'd like it to be because I earned them rather than having them gifted to me. The squash captain agrees with me and is encouraging people to really attack a game, even if it looks like defeat is inevitable or victory is assured.

All the best,
    Andrew.

16. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    4) People in the sauna who insist on talking loudly,talking a lot,talking on cellphones,playing music,or farting (the last is for real: certain members fart regularly and shamelessly).

17. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

yeah, I'd have a hell of a time getting those off.

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #193 Zack, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    I have someone at my gym like that. ****er has a huge belly...never works out. Just comes to socialize in the jacuzzi. Always yakking on and on about whatever is in the news or on his mind. And the guy is incredibly stupid. I am so sick of his idiotic redneck conversation topics, from the price of gas to how the gov't is against everyone to whatever-- jeez man, bring a book and learn something and let others soak their aching muscles and enjoy the jacuzzi in peace. I now make a point of getting into a conversation with other people and discussing him, while he is sitting there. He always leaves quickly, but never seems to get the hint that he should just be quiet.

19. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    At my gym people rarely re-rack weights on the squat rack and Olympic lifting stations, but there aren't many females who work out there either. A lot of people view it as either a wake up call or challenge (holy moly, that guy was just ass-to-ground squatting sets of 405! And we are the same height and weight! I'm so very weak...). Besides, the whole reason we're in the gym is to move around a bunch of heavy weights anyways. I've always chuckled when someone complains "You mean, I have to move all this weight around before I can move the weight I want to move around?" As someone once pointed out to me, we're all just a bunch of rubber-band wrestling idiots ;-)

All the lifting stations and racks have complete sets of bumper plates, though, so there isn't a worry with trying to find plates. In a large, "resort" style gym I re-rack all plates because plates tend to be in short supply (not worthless iso machines, though.... weird). A lot of etiquette is very gym specific, but it always pays to have good situational awareness.

20. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's what irritates me the most about it, women use the machines too.

Now that I've been going to a differnet location I don't see it as often.