H1N1 vaccination - NFC | Page 2 | FerrariChat

H1N1 vaccination - NFC

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Nov 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cb804

cb804 Karting

May 8, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Carmen B.
  2. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    from Ill Dept Public Health

3. IDPH Expands H1N1 Vaccine Eligibility Beyond Priority Groups

Effective December 15, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) will lift its
    eligibility restrictions for the H1N1 influenza vaccine to include anyone who has
    not yet been vaccinated.

At that time, anyone who is not in a high priority group may receive the H1N1
    vaccine at county health departments and hospitals. The H1N1 vaccine will be made
    available at pharmacies as well.

Physicians who are interested in administering the H1N1 vaccine may call IDPH’s
    Immunization Section at 217-785-1455 to inquire about availability.

H1N1 e-mail scam alert – Watch out for fraudulent e-mails directing individuals to
    fill out an “H1N1 vaccination profile.” IDPH recommends that these “phishing”
    e-mails be deleted immediately – no state vaccination program requires online
    registration.

Read IDPH’s alert at
    http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/press09/12.3.09H1N1_EmailPhishingScam.htm.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Done. :)

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1.

Talk about a panic about nothing. Every year many, many people die from "normal" flu ... and no way am I going to stick some thing developed in a panic into my body, when it is NOT required.
    Pete

5. Mobius Entwine

Mobius Entwine Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    Roscoe, IL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have never died of anything in my life and I don't plan on dying anytime soon.

I wonder how many people do plan on dying, or do plan on getting the flu. Certainly the number has to be a fairly low percentage. The percentage of people that take precautions against dying or getting the flu is higher, and certainly prudent to self-preservation. Getting the H1N1 vaccine is a prudent step in self-preservation, especially if you are under age 65.

On average, about 200,000 people are hospitalized each year in the US with seasonal flu. Sixty percent of those patients are age 65 and older. Ninety percent of the seasonal flu deaths are of people age 65 and older.

Already this year (to November 14th), there have been an estimated 213,000 hospitalizations (The CDC estimate goes as high as 303,000 hospitalizations) - and we are just now getting into the meat of the flu season. About 40 percent of the deaths from H1N1 are among people age 25-49.

The N1N1 is a very different flu than the seasonal flu.

Yes, the N1H1 vaccine was put into production on a fast track, using proven and time-tested methods. The potential severity of the H1N1 demanded quick action. The risks associated with getting the vaccine are the same as any other flu vaccine. You are far more likely to get sick or die from H1N1 without the vaccine than you are if you get the vaccine.

In matters like this, I don't look so much at the odds, but at the stakes. However, in this case, the odds and the stakes are stacked in such a way that I think anyone under age 65 that doesn't get the H1N1 vaccine is simply reckless.

source: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I have died(clinically) for a period of over 5 mins. Experts said if I survived I'd be a 'vegetable'....Well, I survived and I'm not a 'vegetable.'

Fact is, we will all die. Why, where or when is unknown......but it will happen!

Panics and viral pandemics don't scare me; the inevitable will come sooner or later. :(

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    +1.

Somebodies making a fist full of bucks ...
    Pete

8. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    I don't trust medicine, doctors or anyone else that is going to tell me take this and everything will be alright.

I love my life with all my heart but I'd rather suffer in pain then pay someone and hope it works out for the better.

As far as I'm concerned Doctors are here for the faithless and scared.

Man has lived on this planet for years and not until recently we needed medicine for everything....what the hell.

Sorry for the rant, but that's just the way I feel.

9. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    I'm vaccinated! :)

10. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Are you a 'Jehovah's Witness'?

11. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    No, I just have a very low threshold on trust especially when the all mighty dollar is involved.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hope you had too much eggnog when you wrote this. Cause it doesn't sound like a rational person living in the 21st century.

13. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    Perhaps I should rephrase what I said by saying that over all when it comes to medicine I just don't trust those who are in charge of it.

And yes I am fond of the eggnog :D

14. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    OK, you're exonerated! Now we can move on.................

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Glad you rephrased that or MikeZ might not bother to take you up in his helo if you're ever in an accident. ;)

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I haven't gotten mine yet but might be considering it, who else has gotten the vaccine?

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I was pretty groggy for about two days. After that I was back to normal.

18. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Got mine a week ago and no side effects