HAAS Car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HAAS Car

Discussion in 'F1' started by IamRobG, Jun 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Someone also stated or posted a link saying that Haas is already doing aero testing IIRC. Can't recall where I saw that. They also went on to imply that, in doing so, Ferrari might be acquiring aero data in-season that they shouldn't ; )

I just think Haas knows how difficult it is to build a competitive car, so he is going to let the team focus on less design initially. There is no reason they can't add more custom parts later as they ramp up design and gain experience.

Chrysler logos...I threw up in my mouth a little. ; )

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I think this may be thread you are thinking of. Story implying Ferrari gained useful aero data was in first post of thread

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489452

T

3. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    If I'm not mistaken the chassis is not Ferrari.

4. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Sprint was in charge of collecting and giving out the results. Not NASCAR. (At least, as far as I know as of 2014).

Did anything change in 2015?

5. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  6. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Because Haas are not a current F1 team they can test 24/7 in the wind tunnel or on the track. I'm not sure when that changes; at the end of the 2015 season or at the beginning of the 2016 season. The chassis is being built by Dallara. Body/Aero built by Dallarra and tested in Ferrari wind tunnel. Almost all operating systems and ancillaries provided by Ferrari.

I am suspicious of the choice to use Ferrari's wind tunnel. Haas owns the Windshear wind tunnel, which is as good as any in the world. I suspect that Ferrari is getting some good data fallout from whatever Haas does in the wind tunnel.

7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    agreed, just sharing what Gunther stated in the interview.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

That's what the story linked above implies. Interestingly, IIRC, the person sent to look into these allegations was a former Ferrari employee. Talk about possible conflict of interest...T

9. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

oh Andrew, you know I could care less. it was just a commentary how things related to nascar and danica are seemingly very manipulated. that is all.

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hass isn't allowed to use their own wind tunnel for F1 - FIA regulations limit F1 wind tunnels to 60% scale, the Windshear tunnel is a full 100% scale tunnel. The limit was for cost control reasons, to prevent the F1 teams from replacing their 50% or 60% tunnels with 100% tunnels.

11. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My understanding is that they are currently not restricted by FIA F1 rules. But, it certainly makes sense for them to start off using the wind tunnel that they will be required to use going forward once they are governed by the F1 rules. And the benefits to Ferrari is also a factor.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    True. But Dallara is in Italy so does make logistical sense I think. Sounds like they will do a ton of work out of the UK also.

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gotcha!

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oh wow. Thanks for the knowledge. Never would have guessed something like that.

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The powers that be call it cost saving, utter BS.

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I don't think that's quite correct.

The models are now limited to 60%, but many of the tunnels they're using are indeed capable of handling full size cars.

I'm sticking with they're trying to correlate the two tunnels, given the same models..... No "conspiracy" with Ferrari to circumvent the rules, just smart engineering by both party's IMO.

Cheers,
    Ian

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Put that in quotation marks. :)

18. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, found it! ;)

Nothing about tunnel size, but the Sporting Regs, Appendix 8, section 1.3 states;

["Restricted" is defined in 1.1 & 1.2.....]

However, of more interest here - and something that makes no sense to me at all;

For those in old math, 50m/s is roughly 112mph!....

and;

It goes on to define "12 month period" etc, for the teams - which, of course, Haas isn't as yet...... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

19. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I got you....

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    According to the BBC F1 coverage in Canada, the FIA have already investigated Ferrari over the use of their wind tunnel by Haas and the possibility of Ferrari gaining additional aero information, and/or using the Haas wind tunnel time for their own purposes, and as far as the FIA are concerned, everything is being done to the letter of their rules/regulations and Ferrari have no access to the Haas data.

(Of course that wont stop the regular Fchat accusations that Ferrari must be cheating!)

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The way I see it is next year Haas car will be very similar to this year's Ferrari and the current wind tunnel tests are helping both. Nothing wrong with that. Look at Red bull/toro rosso. They have both pretty much the same car and have twice the tests allowed for it.

22. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Letter of the rules yes, unfair advantage? Who knows.

23. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Right, I thought the Wind Tunnel article pointed out as Ian did, that the rules/regulations apply to "constructors", and as of right now in 2015 the Haas F1 team is NOT a constructor.

Letter of the rules?: Yes. Spirit of the Rules?: Gigantic Loophole!

24. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Gigantic loophole on very strict and unnecessary rules.