Haas | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Haas

Discussion in 'F1' started by Tokyo Drftr, Feb 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    His stats:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ingegnere likes this.
  2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

"absolutely brilliant" :rolleyes:

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I was referring to Michael Andretti the driver in IndyCar who indeed was brilliant.

4. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Michael has a better history as a driver and team owner. His mistake in F1didn't last as long as Haas' mistake in keeping Guenther.

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    again..:rolleyes:

Kiwi Nick likes this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    And Grosjean was Haas' and Guenther's mistake. You can't blame Ferrari's probation for the lousy chasis and other lack of performance.

7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Let's ask McLaren...they're the ones testing him.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The sad experience with McLaren is what Michael Andretti is remembered for by F1 fans, many of them don't follow Indy Car.
    To be fair, Andretti came to McLaren at the worst moment. The team had signed 3 drivers: Andretti, Hakkinen and Senna later on.
    Senna was the leading man, and Ron Dennis split the driving duties for the second car between Hakkinen and Andretti.
    Hakkinen did all the testing, Michael the racing and he never matched expectation.
    The fact that he never fully immersed in the team didn't help: he didn't settle near the factory but kept flying back to the US.
    Ron Dennis interpreted that as a lack of motivation, and in view of poor performance wanted to get rid of him.
    In between Hakkinen finished his apprenticeship, and started to match up Senna's lap times.

jpalmito, Isobel and Nuvolari like this.
  9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    ...and the engine has nothing to do with it? You know that that's what powered the haas ...right?

10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    #660 jpalmito, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    Remember he was quickly demotivated by the lap times Senna was able to do with this Mclaren.
    For Mclaren insiders he was unable to adapt with the active suspension.

Flea7 and william like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I suspect Michael Andretti under estimated what Ron Dennis expected from him.
    Michael never did "gel" with the team, spending little time at the factory, and going home between races. That irritated Dennis greatly.
    He was thrown at the deep end, lacking testing time to acclimatise to the car, and confronted to Senna's lap times.
    That must have been very demoralising for him, and left no alternative. Andretti and McLaren parted before season's end.
    A sad story, but one that benefited Mika Hakkinen who made the most of the situation.

Nuvolari, 375+ and jpalmito like this.
  12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    To summarize Michael Andretti wasn’t formula one material.
    Fortunately Hakkinen was another story.
    His first qualy in Portugal against Senna was just epic !

375+ and william like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I liked Mika. My kind of driver.

I remember the day when the steering wheel on his Lotus wasn't secured properly and came off in his hands during a GP! Detroit, I thinK

jpalmito and Nuvolari like this.
  14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    lol, it all depends on what your definition of 'brilliant' is;)

How about we just say very accomplished
    https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/history/people-of-ims/indianapolis-500-drivers/michael-andretti#:~:text=Although%20he%20never%20won%20the,sixth%20in%20poles%20(32).
    100 top-3 finishes in 317 starts is not bad

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    @william alleged that Michael Andretti had more success in F1 than Gunther Steiner. Michael Andretti though a very successful team owner in IndyCar has no experience managing a team in F1--it is a different universe entirely. Just ask Bobby Rahal.
    BTW I was a huge Michael Andretti fan in IndyCar and wished that he had stayed with Mclaren in F1.

16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yeah...for sure not brilliant. Good but not brilliant. What?...did he have one or two great years?? He had a lot of help.....just like Hamilton. (trigger)

jcurry likes this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Winning two WDC after the near fatal crash he had on Adelaide was just remarkable.
    One of the most impressive thing I have seen in Formula one.

william likes this.
  18. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Then why wasn't Ferrari back in the pack, fighting for position with Haas? If Alfa and Haas had built decent cars and had decent drivers, then they would have been up there with Ferrari. They weren't even fighting with Alpine.

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I get what you are saying and I'd welcome him into F1 as a team manager.

That said what he did in his few races was insanely horribly bad. And the reason so many hate him for that is his utter arrogance thinking he can do F1 while living in the US. We probably wouldn't say much if he was just not talented against Senna. He'd be another Brundle or Verstappen Sr., nothing to be ashamed of. But it was his stupid approach and believing it's doable that pissed off people.

Nuvolari and william like this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Really? Can you show me where I said such thing? I would be interested to know.

My actual post # 642 reads as follow: "Because compared to Guenther Steiner Michael Andretti has a good track record in F1 perhaps?" :rolleyes:

I think the sarcasm was lost on you. Perhaps was the clue .

As for your post #631, regarding Hulkenberg : "Always at the ready to piss on someone's cornflakes" (your quote)

Since when Hulkenberg has become such a valued driver? After 179 GP starts for teams such as Williams, Force India, Sauber, Renault and Racing Point, he never got near a podium ! I can't be the only one thinking he wouldn't be a huge asset at Haas.

But thanks for your contribution all the same.

21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Ferrari is a factory team suppling the engines. If you don't understand that and how that relationship works, then it no use explaining it to you.

22. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Hmmm....so incompetence a long time ago doesn't count anymore?
    So...disparaging, grossly inapropriately to be fair, the Euro cuisine, by saying "I can't get a decent cheeseburger in "Gay Paree" ' is something we should forget. While commuting to races...was he the first 'arrive and drive'? Hmm...perhaps the only in modern F1 history?
    Smug rhymes with stick.
    I don't know...has his character improved in the intervening years? You know....is he like Roger Penske?
    Sorry....insolence is hard to overlook.

23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I understand completely. Saying that Ferrari's engines were the excuse for Alfa and Haas being at the back of the back what the absurdity I was disagreeing with.

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/haas-good-interest-from-f1-sponsors-to-fill-big-uralkali-hole/9041387/

Haas: "Good interest" from F1 sponsors to fill big Uralkali hole

Haas Formula 1 chief Gunther Steiner says the team is attracting “good interest” from possible sponsors to help fill the “big hole” left after the exit of former title sponsor Uralkali

Following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine late last month, Haas removed all Uralkali branding from its car, which resembled the colours of the Russian flag. The agreement with the company was ultimately terminated, as was Russian driver Nikita Mazepin’s contract.

Uralkali had served as the title sponsor of Haas since Mazepin joined the team at the start of the 2021 season, bringing a significant financial boost to the American operation.

But Haas has maintained it would be able to cope financially without Uralkali’s funding, allowing it to continue with its plans and preparations for the 2022 season.

Steiner admitted it was a “big hole” that had been left by Uralkali after its exit, but said there was already interest being shown by potential new sponsors.

“There is good interest at the moment, I must say, good interest, and I don't know what it has to do with,” Steiner said.

“I’m not promising anything. I think with the sponsorship, we started a little bit late in actually trying to get some actively from the beginning. That's my opinion about it. But I think now we will make progress.

mcimino likes this.
  25. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria