Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Chelle, Mar 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

Chelle has the Uracco for sale. PM her for info.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  3. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    awww.. that poor thing :(
    it was special to someone once .. but we don't need any parts that one could give really - heck so much is changed on ours it's hardly recognisable.

Sorry I've been so quiet lately - we have been frantically trying to get everything done and sulking about missing so much fun. We need another car so we can drive (you know - on weekends when we REALLY should be working on the car.. lol).

Haley spent pretty much all day sunday sanding the nose of the car and it's close to ready for paint - I know I hoped to have it in paint already - but we have been working on it lots..

I'll try an get more pics posted this week :)

Frank, thanx, and he's right tho - Urraco is for sale - we just haven't been trying to sell very hard. But it is for sale.. that's part of why I am reluctant to drive it right now - murphy's law might step in and try to take the car like right when a buyer would commit... I don't want it to go away but we really don't have the room and when the GTO is done we have other projects begging for attention..
    BTW - a really nice Z based GTO replica just sold on ebay for $40,000
    It had a V8, but still, very pretty car. In thh pics he blurred out all the emblems so there are some fuzzy spots to prevent ebay from deleting the auction - but it is a REALLY nice car
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4549018682&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1
    Chelle
    Andreas, there are two daytona replicas with vent windows on ebay currently too :)
    This one is a heck of a deal
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6533904951&rd=1
    and I think this one is the one that we previously talked about
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4552292244&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

4. SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Okie Dokie, here is a partial update, and also a huge thank you to everyone for the encouragement, we are really looking forward to driving again.

The entire car from the windshield back is about 2 hours away from being ready for the paint shop, it is all sanded and "feathered" I guess it is called. Sort of fun once you get into it, I was nervous I was going to screw it all up and creat some "grand canyon" in the body, but it turned out really good.
    It can be really neat doing that stuff...that is until you look in the mirror and and see a red skinned, pink haired demon staring back at ya! LOL I am still getting red paint dust out of my ears. And :( I was told by my Doc today, no more movement of my arms like I did with sanding, no lifting period. I really screwed up my back, that or my lungs have a weird infection and I am having a hard time breathing and lying down. One of the drugs he gave me should cure it all tho, if not, I will be back down in the garage in a few days doing it anyways.;) Except with the drugs, I will be able to work lots faster...cause I will have(see) 3 or 4 sanders swirling about! ~~woohoo~~

The side air vents are really neat looking, Chelle did great creating those...and the rain drip rails above the doors and the old long door handles are gone now. ~thank goodness~

We are still working on the front clip. It is all sanded out and ready in all the areas not being shaped, this weekend is the final body work to make the front more in spec. The doors and other rear panels have been sized and shaped, no more big gaps. :) The car is scheduled to be picked up Tuesday for painting. The manager said he would come in early to make sure it got in ok and he would start working on it right away. =o)

We keep getting more parts delivered all the time, heck...many more and I think we could open an auto parts shop. Only a few more and we will be ready to create the new dash. We will do that while the car is in for paint this week. My mom thinks she found the stuff we need for the race seats, so that is next. Any parts that are not new are all polished and cleaned up now, just seems to be so sad, all those parts sitting in a box... lonely... cold...in the dark. ~~sniffle~~

I was hoping to have it done this weekend, to bring to Oak Street on Sunday, and try and park where we did a few years ago, she would still be Frankenstein peekin in, but a prettier one.:) I am also going to miss another car show I had hoped to bring it to, I talked to the car club owner who is running that show, and he really wants to see the GTO, but I made plans to meet him, and we talked about the VA show, he told me he will have his club donate the hot dogs for my show!! I am so excited about that, as I have struck out everywhere else.

So that is my update...Chelle is finishing up with a few new pics, and will upload them, well...she better or I swear I will get one of them tools from the Amsterdam shop! ;) And she will p'rolly talk more tech stuff than me, I am just the grunt/labor! LOL

See you guys real soon!!!

Haley

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    HEY, when do I get my Chili??

Luv ya SpiderGirl, and Chelle too.

Y'all were supposed to come down a couple of weeks ago.

6. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Heya Skip, sorry - we miscommunicated :( each thought the other had called I think... we had something come up that messed up our plans... but she made some chili that weekend we have plenty still frozen!!
    When is good for you next? I was also hoping to come fix your computer!!!
    (Or just replace it for ya.. )
    Haley went to bed after coming down to the garage and gently reminding me I need to post an update...
    I didn't have enough light to take new pics tonight - but had some I took in the last week still on camera.
    Chelle

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I know you're very busy with the car, maybe over this long weekend.

Give me a call when you and Haley think you can make it down.

Yeah, the puter' is screwed up too.

8. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #83 Chelle, May 27, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    so here's a couple pics
    :)
    Trunk is all blended in - though we will still need to build the interior sheetmetal to seperate it from the interior. Rear wheel vents are opened up more, doorhandles removed to mount the small pushbuttons, door skins are rebonded, doors remounted, 1/4 vents are blended in, driprails are gone, some parts of the new dash are in, all that's really left before paint is mods to the nose and decisions on a few small details on the back of the car.
    so in a week it might be shiny and pretty and needing "just" interior, wiring, exhaust and some mechanicals sorted out
    Poor Haley keeps looking at the wheels covered in dust and lamenting "my wheeeeels!!"
    The last pic there with the missing door is older than the others- I just wanted to show the basic layout of the new dash we made.
    Chelle
    ps- I typed the above last night right after my last post, and fell asleep while adding the pics.. sorry - I MEANT to have this up there last night. lol
    I'll call you today Skip :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Michelle's middle name!!

;)

This weekend works great Skip, whatever day works best for you.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Starting to look better all the time! I love the trunk, fuel filler and that dash!

The new July issue of Kitcar has an article about making the stretched engine hood. I'm sure you have all that done already, but just wanted to mention it. I can make you a copy if you like.

Are you leaving the wheels as they are? Would it be possible to remove the yellow center caps and replace them with metal ones? A plain chrome one with an engraved horsey might look more authentic. I did a similar thing on the Daytona. My engraving place probably still has the horsey loaded in their computer.

11. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    ha ha.... Haley
    you know Skip the more I think about it I think I did call.. hmm, I know we were planning it and Haley cooked to get ready .. and then the "Michelle time warp" kinda closes in.. lol

Thanx Andreas, I will take a pic of the back half in primer so it's easier to see it (all one color). For the dash we made a metal framework then covered it with a 2-part dense closed cell foam like the stuff the factories use to make a dash. It's sandable and light. The black panel you see in front of the steering wheel is a template so we could experiment with gauge placement. We are trying to stay in the spirit of the original configuration but include a speedometer and maximize visibility of all the gauges. Once we are happy with the position of the panel and gauges I can shape the pod to mount the panel. Then we cover it all in leather :)
    We probably are leaving emblems in the wheels, but will have to see yours.. who knows..
    It's going to be a looonngg weekend.. lol
    Chelle

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread Chelle, PM sent ........

13. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Heya guys!
    We are going to send the car to paint either tomorrow afternoon or tues, just depends on me getting a tiny bit more sanding done in the morning after we take dog to see the Vet
    I thought it would be nice to post some pics showing before all this started and what we felt should be changed and what it looks like just before going for paint.
    Before pics show the car at the veterans hospital show last year.
    The rear view shows
    gas filler in wrong place
    hatchback
    wrong doorhandles

Front shows
    too large grill openings
    fender vents in wrong position
    missing vents behind doors
    hood opening too large
    Z-car access doors at cowl
    seperate cowl panel
    missing access panel in front of hood
    hood not bulged accurately

Unseen in these pics is it had a 2.8 ltr 6 cyl and was left hand drive and was missing three of the GTO''s trademark grill openings

previously posted after pics show it's now a nearly 6 liter V12, right hand drive, with a trunk and vents behind the doors.

And tonights pics show the finished vents
    shaved off driprails
    doors fixed for GTO style buttons
    corrected grill opening
    corrected sized other nose openings, including the ones under the grill. (side note- I have only seen one other GTO replica without an aluminum body that has had the openings below the grill !! )
    Corrected hood opening allows the radiator access panel to be cut out. (in these pics the hood opening is marked but not cut out)
    Corrected hood bulge
    corrected fender vents behind the front wheels,
    I'm sure there is more things I was going to mention but am so tired i'm getting more absent minded
    will post pics when it's back from paint!!
    Chelle

well I exceeded my quota... i know i know - i need to send Rob money
    here's before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Building the new openings under the grill
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    LOOKS GREAT!

Congrats.......

Skippy

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Awesome Chelle!

16. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    thanx guys :)
    we can't wait for paint!!
    it's been a long time coming
    Chelle

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Focus.

You two have it. Clearly.

Goal.

You two are so close to achieving it.

Success.

You two enjoy it!

18. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx Tom,
    Still wish I had enough focus to be done already lol.... we both miss driving it and driving sundays with everyone :(
    Chelle

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ignore time as the dust particles suspend in mid-air... and on every bit of surface, skin and otherwise...

You've done so much in so little time, you can be afforded the luxury of massaging that baby into as flawless a prepped condition as you can. Lawdy knows, that's no doubt what you've been doing, but still... you both deserve nothing less than your pride and joy giving back the silkiest, smoothest lines and shine.

Well, maybe one hidden flaw... after all, that's Chinese for good luck.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #95 tifosi12, Jun 6, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Extraordinary. Clearly a labour of love. Looks great. Well done
    Philip

22. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Acckkk!
    ~~Bill the Cat is great~~

I cant wait to drive again! We also got more interior parts that will finish up the interior nicely after it is back from the visit the paint shop.

Tanx to everyone for the encouragement! It has been a rough build for us, but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting visable, more pics to come in a week or so.

Skip, hope you liked the chili, and I have the Chop Suey all ready, later this this week may be good time for it if you are free, and I can pick up the jacket and Chelle can finish up the computer stuffs for you :)

Nyte all,
    Haley

23. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Sounds good to me; give me a call!

And yes, I LOVED the Chili and I have the Chopsticks in order.

Let's chow down again!

Skippy

24. SpyderGirl

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    ---With new red paint for the GTO---HI HO---HI HO HI HO HI HO---

After much more grinding, drilling, shaping, sanding, cussing, and "Tiger Hair", she is now at the paint shop...thank goodness. :)

I was drilling 4 inch holes in the sides of the engine compartment for another idea we came up with making it just a touch more unique, My back went out again, so that ended my night in a quick hurry, I guess the Doc was right when he said Pluraci is really painful! ;)

Chelle did not stop working the entire night, came upstairs at 6am, got cleaned up and got ready to take the car to the paint shop and went to work right after...she had completely and literally passed out right after dinner tonight. I am sure he has some pictures of the final prep before paint...but the next pictures will be of a red car again!!

~~enter Snoopy happy dance here~~

Pics are-a-coming....well, when Chelle stops imitating Rip Van Winkle. =o)~

The Veterans (VA) Car Show updates are coming soon as well, I am working on some extra goodies fer all the Drivers.

Nyte all

25. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Haley, you have pleurisy; not what you wrote!

Thanks,

TSP (The Spelling Police)

p.s. I'm glad the car is in for paint. Maybe now I'll get the Chop Suey; and my puter' fixed. :)