Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Chelle, Mar 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

there is a quality wood filler used to remove small scrathes on guitars that i have used off and on that should help you. i dont have any here right now, but any music shop or vintage insturment place should be able to help you. you use it to fill in the low spots and color match it with stains. i have used very fine steel wool and then 2000 grit sandpaper on fine woods to remove small shallow scratches and hazing.

great thread, you and Chelle kick ass! :)

2. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The project is looking AWESOME!!!

When is the unveiling party? When it's done you guys should take her on a tour!!!

Great job, keep up the good work!!!

Mike

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    FOC will have a Route 66 commemorative drive and I told Chelle to have the car ready for that event. It'll be October 1st, so that should be enough time to wrap things up. We might have even a 2nd unveiling that day...

4. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Sorry I missed your post. As for the engine it's currently only got a few "minor" mods. We switched it to Dry Sump oiling, tossed the distributors for coilpacks and Electromotive to manage fuel and spark, and opened the exhaust up lots. In the future we hope to come up with a custom intake.
    The Ultima is Jay's car - he's a really nice guy and is planning to start offering a line of performance parts for these engines. Keep in mind we took it out of a nearly 6000lb car to run with a 6 speed in a 2200lb car :)

Thanx Mike! As Haley said we're in the middle of a move too - so we're working like crazy to get this all done... but it will be drivable soon.
    Just not soon enough

Haley mentioned the dash, it is made and gauges are mounted in the gauge pod but there is still a bit to do to it before it's finished. I'm trying to decide if we should cover it in leather or paint it like an original.

Second one too Andreas? kewl!
    :)
    Chelle

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    In another of my previous lives. I used to build and repair Furniture. For really small scratches on wood,use a very light Steel wool. It will also fill microsized fine wood particles into it,too. Apply a light touch,though. And it will be smooth as silk. Then,clean it really good,and apply your Stain,then Varnish....Voila!

And speaking of old Route 66. There is an annual "Route 66 Car Show" along Ogden Av.,(part of the old 'Mother Road') in Berwyn on Saturday,September 10th.,if anyone is interested. It is Huge,and you will find just about any kind of Car there.

6. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Thanks for the info. I would like to see how the engine performs after your mods, pls keep us informed.

Cheers,
    Taffy

7. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Okay, I think it's time for another update!!!

Pics please! :)

I trust the move is all done and successful and work can resume on more important things! LOL

Mike

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Actually, they're moving this weekend.

9. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    D'OH! Okay, waiting patiently. :)

10. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #160 Chelle, Aug 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    only a minute to post - was just shutting down computers, Skip's right - it's moving day here... {yesterday and today)
    Will post pics tonight after we get settled
    Chelle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nice shot. I love the juxtapositions between curvilinear and edge design. Bertone vs Pininfarina (I believe).

GTO looks darn good. Are you going to get clear lens covers?

I also notice the wipers going the other way. Is that because the car is now RHD?

12. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    The car originally had them, and Kim made new ones.

It's very clever how she did it!

13. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx Andreas, I took a buncha pictures Saturday of the two cars side by side and the GTO in the new place.
    The wipers had to be converted to the correct position for RHD. Look at original GTO's and the RHD ones have the wipers in that configuration. You want to have the wiper clear the most possible area in front of the driver. This required mounting the wiper arms to the body in a mirror image of where they were or the car originally. This also required rearranging the linkage that connects it all to the motor and reversing the wiper motor so they would park properly :)

We had covers and the nose mods resulted in a slightly shorter headlight area which necessitated slight mods to the covers. As our covers were worn out anyway Kim made plaster molds of the old ones and we did some mild reshaping of the plaster form. To make the new covers we used the kitchen oven and drape molded flat sheets of acrylic (plexiglass).
    The two big problems are the fumes are mildly flammable, and the potential of steam bubbles if you don't heat it correctly to get rid of moisture. There's plenty of info online with tips for doing this. :)
    After having the new piece it's simply a matter of grinding away excess material to achieve a good fit
    Chelle

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sheesh, I could use some of your expertise: Had to remove the wipers since they don't clear the engine cover (now that it has been nicely adjusted to fit the rest of the bodywork). Now I'm tinkering with an Ersatz wiper system (actually taken from a boat) to have at least something in case I get caught out in the rain. The fun never ends.

15. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Michelle / Haley: Any new news?
    Philip

16. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I second that...any updates?

:)

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! I was JUST thinking about "Project G.T.O."...:) Please Ladies,updates...?...!...:)

18. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #168 Chelle, Sep 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Heya everyone!
    sorry to be so quiet of late.
    The navy has decided to block this site so I can't read or update at work. And between us moving and working on the car and everything I haven't spent much time on the computer at home even..
    I miss it here!!
    On the plus side my job is about to end (sept 30th) so unless I accept the offer from Northrop Grumman I'll have plenty of time :)
    but enough about me
    I'm way overdue on car reports.
    The only thing holding us up now is a few details that make it driveable. Externally everything but the headlight covers, door handles, and grille are on and done. Internally the dash pod and wiring are pretty much done but we still need to cover the rest of the dash. The switch panel is done with all new switches installed and wired. Mechanically there's some minor details in the engine compartment like making some hoses for the dry sump and mounting air filters and the exhaust still needs to be installed. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few details, but it has come a long way. The aluminum in the trunk is done though a couple pieces are not installed as we still need to be able to access a few things that will be hidden when the covers are installed.
    Well, that said - here's a few pictures I took yesterday
    Chelle

19. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lookin' good! Looking REAL good!

Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see more!

Mike

20. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Looks great ladies!!!

Bill

21. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx guys, an thanx Haley for leaning on me to get online and post updates :)

I miss driving ...
    we shall be soon though :)
    Chelle
    ps- if anyone knows anyone in the area looking to hire a computer geek please let me know. Since my company traded me I would kinda like to see what options are available

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You Car is looking Great,Chelle! Is it Running and Driving now? If not,possibly soon enough to make one of the Fall drives planned? I cannot wait to see it!

23. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle

Thanx Frank,
    just to make sure credit where credit is due BTW - the car is both Haley and mine, and I am sure that it would have taken a lot longer had Haley not been around to help and to remind when when I'd get offtrack. Today it was off getting the exhaust installed, it is supposed to be home tonight - there was some concern about getting it home with the rain, but it should be here- waiting for the call right now :)
    Chelle

24. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
  25. Supercharged

Supercharged Rookie

Mar 21, 2005
    Hi Chelle

It was great talking to you today and thanks for steering me to these great pictures of your guys project.. it looks amazing!

Feel free to call and pick our brains anytime

Sean
    Discovery-Automotive