Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Haley and Chelle's 04/05/06 project update

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Chelle, Mar 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #201 Chelle, Mar 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #202 Chelle, Apr 5, 2006
    With the engine mostly wired up and the intakes back on most of the work we have been doing lately has been on the dash, shifter, and pedals. We made some changes to the mounting for the pedals to make them more adjustable. Out of the box they can adjust about 5" front to back, but we added a means of raising and lowering them about 3" as well.
    The stock shifter lever was extended about 8" and a box to mount a shiftgate to was fabricated out of .080" aluminum. The dash itself is all fabricated and we just need to cover it. In the pictures the cover for the back of the gauge pod is not attached and the holes for the defroster are not cut out. Next we have to figure out if there's going to be any sort of console. Once we settle on the height of the shiftgate and decide what (if any)console will be there we will cut the shifter off to it's final height and polish it.
    Anyway - I'm late for work so here's a couple pics of the new dash - and one of our helper :)
    One of the puppies insists on being right in there with us when we are working on the car :)
    Chelle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Darn, starting to look really good.

I dropped my project off for further improvements while I'm working at some interior stuff at home.

4. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey!! I wanted to stop you before you went any further on the dash!!!!!

Did you realize you have put the steering wheel on the wrong side???!!!!

;-)

5. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Thanx guys,
    Andreas, what are you getting improved?

Bill, well we wanted it to stand out as different from all the other GTO replica's out there... :)
    Plus we both were young and impressionable when "Corvette Summer" came out... with all the bizarre bodywork on that car the steering on the "wrong side" was immediately noticable, and after a few minutes RHD isn't that hard to get used to - though it helps to have a spotter when pulling into the left lane to pass
    Chelle

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A few ordinary mechanical issues plus one towards authenticity: Real parking brake from a Dino 246

7. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Saw Chelle and Haley's GTO again today. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Anyone can plunk down a few bucks and buy a Ferrari, but what these girls are doing takes a lot of talent and hard work!

That's more impressive than what most of us do; buy a factory car and keep it shiny!

Hell, these girls built theirs. And to boot, they're two of the nicest people I've ever known!

I'm sure when all of you see this car finished, there won't be one of you that wouldn't want it.

Thanks for din-din and the gifts ladys.

Luv ya

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Andreas, I visited your car yesterday; it was lonely.

As soon as there's room inside, it will be moved in with its buddies. It is secure though, behind a chainlink fence.

Skippity

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't like the sound of that. I hope that happens soon. It normally lives in a heated and air conditioned garage. :(

10. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I'm sure it will be soon.

As you probably saw, the shop is full.

11. SpyderGirl

SpyderGirl Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    Haley
    Twas great seeing you again Sir Skip, you are welcome over for din din anytime!

Glad you are able to fit in the seats, a bit snug in the car these days :)

Hope the new puter wares helps ya out.

See ya soon! :)

12. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    Where can I find more information on the engine set up? It must be wonderful!!
    thanks
    JLS

13. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Andreas - kewl about the parking brake :)

Skip - it was great seeing you will help you with the computer parts this week :)

John,
    well, there isn't really much out there in the way of documenting doing a conversion with this drivetrain. I know there's an Ultima with this engine (Jay Esterer) and there are a few Lamborghini Diablo replicas with it. Most of those don't run and all of the others I have heard about use the stock computers.
    There's even a Russian Volga that under the body panels is all BMW 850.
    Jay's car runs strong, there is some video of it on his site as well as scans of some magazine articles about the car. He has been talking about offering a line of performance parts for the BMW V12.
    Personally I'm not fond of the stock computers or ignition system (sorry if anyone here designed it)It uses three computers and treats it like two 6-cylinder engines. It was designed for a production environment and had I'm sure they had to use a lot of off the shelf parts to keep the accountants happy. We are the only ones I have heard of using the Electromotive computer. The distributors were eliminated in favor of individual coils and a crank trigger. The oil system was converted to a dry sump. Most of this is documented in this thread. :)
    In it's original configuration this engine had a pretty restrictive exhaust (to make it nice and civil in the luxury car it came from), it had a HUGE alternator to power all the accessories and computers, restrictive intake, big A/C compressor, big fan to try to move air in a tight engine compartment, and all that in a 5000 lb car.
    Here's a link to Jay's site where you can see some video of his car running as well as a lot of good pictures of the buildup.
    http://www.ultimav12.ca/
    Chelle

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have some other neat improvements in the works. My friend with a lathe is reengineering the knock-offs to fit the front axle and I'm currently busy on the A/C control. The point is that it takes all these bits and pieces to paint a more complete picture. As you of course know "slapping" the glass body on is only the beginning of the journey.

15. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    is it glass or plexi?

16. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    Andreas, that's kewl... you know Dayton now makes Borrani style knock off's too :) with spline drive too.
    You're absolutely right - the body is just the beginning, the devil is in the details. I look forward to seeing it!

John, it's plexiglass - like the real ones. It's curved so glass would have had to be custom made. Also plexiglass allowed us to add the vent to the top a lot easier than we could have with glass.

Chelle

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks, I know. I was considering it, but after talking to Billiam and his cleaning experience I decided to go with the more convenient 5 spoke. Not what the original has, but so be it.

18. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Well Andreas....

AFAIK, On the race cars, the factory, never ran chromed spoke wire wheels with polished rims, the spokes and rims were painted silver/gray. The process of chroming has a hardening effect on steel, which could produce the undesired result of snapping spokes under severe tensile stresses.

So you could order the less labor intensive, painted wire wheels, and simply say they are, "race wheels." But the knock-off 5 spoke wheels would be quite proper for a Daytona.

Bill

BTW, to return to topic...

Girls, the work looks great!

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All true of course, but I'm not going for any Daytona. :)
    Just like Chelle doesn't slap glass on a 240 but goes flat out to stretch the chassis and body and then tops it off with RHD.

20. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill

Andreas,
    If that's the case, then your only option would seem to be the chrome spoke Borrani's or re-pops.

Regards,
    Bill

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, let's not be holier than the Pope. The rest of the car isn't exactly like the original. :)

I kinda compare it to manned space capsule replicas in some museums. They're ok from ten feet away and with average knowledge. :)

22. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    LOL, Come on Andreas, I though I padded the statement fairly well. I brought up the painted wires, because they they would look ok, from the 10 foot region that you mention above and if anyone asked about the paint, you just respond, "The factory didn't chrome the race wheels."

The painted wire wheels don't require the polishing that the chromed spoke and polished aluminium (felt British for a moment) rim wheels do, all they need is periodic cleaning.

Bill

23. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #223 Chelle, Apr 15, 2006
    thanx Bill

the daytons we used are a chrome rim with polished stainless steel spokes. They do offer both the Borrani style and the ones we have in a "LW" style with polished spokes and an aluminum rim.
    We sent it out today for exhaust and wetsanding/buffing :)
    Only photographic updates we have are are the dash all in bare metal out in the daylight :)
    and a couple on the truck... this should be the last time we see it without the exhaust :)
    Hopefully in a week or so we'll post some shots all buffed out and with a new exhaust poking out the back !

Chelle

24. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yeah, I thought that was a cool touch (putting it on the other side). It does change the look of it for the better. Nice work.

25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, I didn't get that part. It is the cleaning you told me about that scared me away for good. Half an hour car wash is about the limit of my patience.

But you're making a good point and have to put that on the long list of improvements. Maybe a second set of tires wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks.

Chelle,

starting to look fabulous. The interior is coming along nicely. I love the box for the shifter, just like the original and the work on the dash is fantastic. I'm not a big fan of the instruments (the red needles), but I know you and Haley will be racing this bad body so it is only appropriate.

You should see the new gauges Rick found for his car: All Italian writing on them. I also got somewhat lucky: Found a remaining set of VDO classic's series. Very hard to come by.