Hamilton error... | FerrariChat

Hamilton error...

Discussion in 'F1' started by pozzi, Oct 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
  2. cantsleepnk

cantsleepnk Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks ,this is not a repost. In the US we didn't get to see this particular piece on TV.

3. Matt999

Matt999 Karting

Mar 8, 2007
    So it was not a transmission failure, he simply pushed Neutral?
    That'd be hilarious...

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That was the Canadian broadcast.

I thought it was noted that he entered the "start/ grid sequence" and had to reinitialize the system.

5. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    There is no possible way I would ever believe that there is a button within thumbs reach that would turn off the car, with just one push. Cars would be stopped all around the track.

6. Ambassiatore

Ambassiatore Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...but It would make sense, when you start the PIT LANE SECUENCE the car automatically waits for the pit lane signal...and opens the gas cap, regulates speed to 80kph...

if the car gets no signal...how it disengages the secuence?...CTR-ALT-DEL?

makes sense resetting the secuence...although nobody has nor confirmed nor denied such "mistake" is possible...maybe when he was talking with the pits, he was moving his hands in anger after his SCAPE zone EXCURSION?

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Why would he be moving his hands in anger?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63613

McLaren deny Hamilton caused gearbox error

McLaren have rejected suggestions that Lewis Hamilton's gearbox failure in the Brazilian Grand Prix was due to him pressing the wrong button on his steering wheel.

Hamilton was seen slowing down almost to a halt on lap eight of Sunday's race, dropping from sixth to 18th place, but was then able to regain speed.

The incident sparked rumours suggesting the 22-year-old pushed the wrong button on his steering wheel, which in turn left his car in neutral until he was given instructions over the radio how to reset the system.

Compounding these rumours was a report in Montreal's newspaper La Presse, which quotes Hamilton directly as saying he indeed pushed the wrong button.

However, a source close to the Hamilton family has described the report as "absolute rubbish", telling autosport.com that Hamilton has not spoken to the Canadian newspaper or said anything as such to anyone.

A McLaren spokesperson also denied the report and said the failure was not down to human error.

"We can confirm that the temporary gear shifting problem Lewis suffered on lap eight of the Brazilian Grand Prix was due to a default in the gearbox that selected neutral for a period of time," she said.

"It was not as a result of Lewis pressing an incorrect button on his steering wheel."

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh also ruled out driver error and said the likely reason is hydraulic valve failure.

"It was a gearbox problem, and it went into forced-neutral and changing down seemed to rectify it - it might be mechanical, but we doubt it," he told Autosport magazine.

"If it was something mechanical, they usually don't fix themselves. It could be electronics software - but there's no evidence in the analysis to support that. Could be a sensor - but again, there's no evidence in the data recordings.

"So it would appear that the barrels that change gear went out of control - and out of control of the driver - and that's probably hydraulic.

"That could be either a very small Moog servo control valves that were interfered with by a tiny piece of debris or they are sensitive to magnetic interference - something generated a magnetic field which caused the valve to misbehave."

8. PaulVincent

PaulVincent Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Well, if McLaren says it, I'll be sure to believe it (especially after Stephanygate).

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i don't understand. he already admitted his error. why is Mclaren protecting him for?

10. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    It had to have been the pit lane speed limiter. Check it out.

http://www.mclaren.com/features/technical/interactive_steering_wheel.php

My guess is when the system didn't receive any signal from the pit lane it must've gotten confused. I didn't actually see Hamilton tinker with any of the buttons, except frantically hitting the gear shift paddles. He probably had to wait it out for Windows to restart or something. Nevertheless... *coughchokecough*

Thanks for the video.

11. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
  12. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
    #12 pozzi, Oct 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

The wheel on this link above is from 2005 car.

Here is the real driving wheel:

http://www.amalgamcollection.com/en/product/product_detail.php?SKU=MP422ASW&list_type=&list_value=&PHPSESSID=12da7ef2f10fb36a2264ced20504623e

Mclaren changed the website photo.

This is the real driving wheel:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. pozzi

pozzi Formula Junior
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 28, 2004
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Fabio Pozzi
  14. Ambassiatore

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...there is something weird in this for sure, but why protect the kid saying a valve went nuts?...was it that bad?

15. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Aren't next years ECUs developed by MCL and Microsoft? We'll see those things happening more often next season ;)

16. Ambassiatore

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...damn...the guy was trying to turn off the traction control?...what the heck was he doing?

17. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
  18. Ambassiatore

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    ...does McLiaren feel they havent lied enough this year?...they changed the picture...I bet you Ron has no Idea of any of this, nor nobody in his company has seen that steering wheel before...

just like Ol´Phil says...could happen to a nicer bunch of guys...

19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    oooooooh, good catch.

Hope MSoft learns how to prevent hacking: talk about spy possibilities

20. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Can you imagine if a 3rd party hacked in and decided to change the outcome of a race on the last lap. I hope the teams win this battle over standarized ECUs.

21. cantsleepnk

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Thanks for the second video.

I know I'm stupid but I'm not THAT stupid. Someone please tell me that he didn't do that on purpose did he ????? I'm talking about the second video.

WTF ? Why did he do that???

22. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    The button labeled "start" is actually the scrambled radio channel to Charlie Whiting.

But.. perhaps pressing buttons in a certain sequence does enable some forbidden function, and thats why McLaren is being so "cagey". It has been seen before.

23. Ambassiatore

Jan 30, 2007
    Full Name:
    David Figueredo T.
    there are two buttons there...the (+TC) which allows a greater rate of correction by the Traction Control but sacrifices speed...the other button is the N for starting the pit lane secuence am I right?

24. cantsleepnk

Dec 29, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Full Name:
    Nick
    If the picture in post 17 is correct he clearly pressed the N button on purpose.

Look at this video. WTF??

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Ca2jhFlPE

25. phylotic

phylotic Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 20, 2007
    US/EU
    Full Name:
    Gheorghe
    Looks quite intentional. You can see it in the 1st also.

>WTF ? Why did he do that???[/QUOTE]

Who knows, maybe that N button is pronounced 'their wish is my command',
    and was part of the Stepneygate package,
    and RD and Luca are mouthing off on cue.