Hamilton to Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hamilton to Ferrari?

Discussion in 'F1' started by HMS, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Alonso would be thrilled if Lewis came to Ferrari as long as he brought two cars with him. Alonso would even pay for a couple of cans of red paint. ;)

2. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Thanks for the title alteration.

3. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    +1
    Cant believe all the "coming to Ferrari" threads....Hamilton, Vettel, Newey

I realize this is a Ferrari board but lets face it...
    NONE OF THEM ARE COMING BECAUSE FERRARI IS NOT A GOOD TEAM
    Everyone wants to win, whether a driver, designer or engineer
    And it aint happening in Maranello

4. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Hamilton is too good for ferrari and so is alonso.

Kimi is past it

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Got to admit, I didn't like Ham much before that, but now I'm a fan. He may pee and moan a lot, but they guy is a certified genius driver.

Cheers,

George

6. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Not everyone wants to come to Ferrari. And certainly not in its current form. What do they have to offer? Seriously?? Said it before, I'll say it again - I'm no Fred fan but if he can't get it done there there's little chance if anyone making it happen either.

7. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +10000

8. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Fair enough.

I've never been a fan, and as I've said before, I'm not even sure why not really, and he's certainly among the very best out there right now. (I'd say top 4-5 before ducking for cover ;))

However, given just how dominant that car is I also reckon there's at least half a dozen guys who could have done what he did with it last week..... Right now, pretty much anyone sees a Merc in their mirrors, they know it's just a matter of time before it comes by.

Sure, he's damn good, but IMO a long way from becoming one of 'the greats'.

Cheers,
    Ian

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  10. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I think he is a top 3 driver but you are correct in saying what he did in Germany was nothing special. A quite clumsy charge through the field in a car that is miles quicker than anyone else.

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    yap, car is flattering him, as did the Rb for vettel...both of them are very good but not Shummy good IMO

12. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yeah but comparing anyone to Schumi isn't really fair. I'd rank the top 3:

1.) Alonso
    2.) Hamilton
    3.) Vettel

13. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Amazing indeed; like Prost and Senna punting each other off one circuit after another!

Great idea

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #39 DeSoto, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Schumacher did it when Ferrari hadn´t won anything in 15 years.

Every man has his price.

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    But not all have the balls or the talent.....

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Fair enough.

However, and I never thought I'd say this about a 4xWDC, but I'm really starting to question Vettel!.... Sure, he's had some terrible luck this year, but we're half way thru and he has pretty much been blown away by young Desi! I haven't checked, but isn't qualy something like 7-2 in favor of the kid?

It's one thing that 'the cars are different', 'the car doesn't suit his style' etc, but as we know, beating your 'mate is job one, and he's consistently failed to do that.

Kimi is being slaughtered for being in pretty much the same position for example.

Unless Desi is the next Michael, and I'm a long way from believing that yet.....

Cheers,
    Ian

17. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Schumi was smart enough to insure the total package was there and aligned...Todt, Brawn & Michael.

Until F makes a major change and commitment they will continue to be mid-pack.
    If they all came---Newey, Hamilton, Vettel, Brawn or similar level quality manager--yeah they could win again. That's the mistake Alonso has made.....

Bill

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think next year should be more telling.

Ricciardo was no slouch at TR (especially as soon as they heard that Webbo was leaving, he really started to kill JEV at every opportunity). I really do think it has to do with the cars this year. So many new things that really affect how a car behaves (ERS harvesting, e-brake, new engine power delivery and the quest for more power to keep up with merc inevitably making drivability worse).

Say what you want about JB, he did always keep up with Hamilton, and he's having his ass handed to him by a rookie.

I have a big problem believing that either/or:
    Magnussen is very special
    Hamilton has suddenly gotten a lot faster than previous years
    Kimi is 7 tenths slower than Alonso (an obscene amount)
    a 4x wdc was plain lucky 4 years in a row
    Webber really sucked

It doesn't add up. It has to be the design of the car affecting them.

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Ian, here's something I wrote last November as Sebastien wrapped up his fourth WDC and conjecture had it that he was headed for Ferrari:

Despite his four consecutive WDC's, I am far from persuaded that Sebastien is the 'head-and-shoulders-better' driver that many believe he is. To me it is absolutely clear that for four years he was driving a car that was indeed 'head-and-shoulders' better than any other car on the grid.

Mark Webber, a journeyman middle of the pack driver his entire pre-Red Bull career, suddenly is on the front row almost every race? Webber, a really good guy but only a fair driver, begins in F1 in 2002 age 26, racing for such mediocre teams as Minardi and Jaguar. When he joins Williams he is a little bit better than middle pack but nowhere near a consistent challenger. Then he joins RedBull in 2007 at age 31 still racing just above middle of pack for a couple of years as the car is improving.

Comes 2009 and Sebastien Vettel joins Red Bull and a dramatically improved car. At age 33 after racing in F1 for seven years Mark finally wins his first F1 race, the 2009 German GP and his second, the Brazilian G.P. Comes 2010 and an utterly dominant Red Bull car and what have we in Mark Webber? - four F! wins, five poles (OVER VETTEL!) AND TEN PODIUMS!! He actually led the drivers' championship after Monaco and could have been 2010 World Champion if he had won the last race at Abu Dhabi and Fernando had finished no higher than third! This from a guy who had never been on the podium before!

Sebastien is an outstanding driver, don't misunderstand me, as are at least a half dozen others, Fernando (to me the best driving today), Lewis, Nico, Kimi [I'd be rethinking this today], maybe Daniel [today I'd eliminate the 'maybe]. But since 2009 and until this year F1 has been all about the Red Bull car. So I can do without Seb in my Ferraris. I want Fred to win a couple of WDC's in red and I also think the Scuderia has a potentially sensational young development driver coming up.

just my 2c.

20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Spot on, exactly correct. The car is sub-par because the team building it is average at best. Alonso was sold a bill of goods that Domenicali was the second-coming and it was clear that was wrong from day 1. Until the people calling the shots at Ferrari become legitimate, there's no reason for a legitimate driver to go to the Scuderia

21. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fix what is broke. Need great engineers.

22. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Things always look easier in hindsight, but Schumacher made a leap of faith.

There was not modern wind tunnel at Maranello, there was no Brawn, heck, there was not even a technical staff there, the car was desgined by Barnard in England. Todt had only won 2 races. Things were a lot worse then than now (although it´s true that they managed to get marginally better results with what they had in 1995 than in 2014).

Personally back then I thought that hiring Schumacher was a big mistake, the team didn´t look prepared for a world champion. But look how it worked.

23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    He has really been spanking Vettel and I did not see that coming. I mean, I always knew that the Newey Bulls flattered Vettel's abilities when he won all his titles and he wasn't the best but I didn't expect this at all.

I see this year as a bit of an anomaly...next year will tell us more. That said, I do believe that Vettel's consecutive title run has now become a bit tainted. Perhaps Seb is no longer the fair haired boy at RB?

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    ?

Jenson Button - 59 points

Kevin Magnussen - 37 points

25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    J.B never looked better to me than Perez last year....Magnussen is good but Perez deserved to have kept his place.....