Hampton Court Palace Concours | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hampton Court Palace Concours

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by thepinkumbrella, Sep 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I’m not familiar with their “historical correctness”, their placement locations in this case (and in most I’ve seen) look quite silly, kind of like an 8 year old was asked to decorate a cake or something, but hey, to each his own …

I’ve documented/found and saved small sections of heater hoses* by three different manufacturers I believe originally used on Daytonas during their production timeline.
    All had/have manufacturer brand logos printed on them in what appears to have been a given distance from each other. but none I found in the cars were “strategically” placed, just random locations depending on where the hose had been cut during original(?) assembly/installation.

In one of my Daytona restorations, the heater hoses were one of the less commonly seen “third” brand, for which we produced decals actually appearing more like a printing (on a wrapped style hose) rather than a sticker and placed a few in “random” locations (with some not even easily visible), just for the appearance of authenticity.

I don't recall ever seeing any manufacturing logos, etc on OEM Daytona radiator hoses, but on fuel delivery hoses from primary fuel filter to carburetors, yes.

* IIRC, a Daytona uses close to 25 ft./7.5 meters (or more ?) of heater hose.

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    In original hoses the logo was wound into the structure of the hose, so the (industrial) buyer knew he was getting the real thing and not ripped off by selling a cheap substitute for a premium price. As the original purpose of this logo was NOT to be visible in the end product, I doubt they inserted one every 5 or 10 meters when making the hose so you would be lucky if you ended up with even ONE of those logos on the hoses of your car. On top of that the original heater hoses I have seen on some original cars took some twisting and turning before I could find the logo on the backside of the hose. I suspect, they were intentionally installed this way as the randomly placed logo would look stupid, especially if it was upside down.

Today we see yellow stickers glued onto all types of hoses (correct type and incorrect type) and for me it screams "fake". Five stickers in one car must be a world record!

TTR and turbo-joe like this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, with all due respect, but vast majority of all major/high-end restorations, including recent ones, regardless of the subjects, who performed the work or what accolades/trophies/etc they've been awarded with, don't seem to scream much of "authenticity" either, so...

I wouldn't be surprised if not. :rolleyes:

4. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Looks like Blu Chiaro Met (106-A-38)

5. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, I believe.

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I still like most of the engine compartments, as there is a standard which is not in serious conflict with how these cars were originally built.

TTR likes this.
  8. Jhobrien

Jhobrien Rookie

Sep 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    J O’Brien
    Been there many times for the flower show and concerts.. This is very cool! No rain either.

9. Roger Johnson

Roger Johnson Rookie

Feb 23, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Roger Johnson
    Very similar to a car owned by John Lundin the first FCA President. I was 12 or 13 when I first saw the car. It was an unusually dark red.

readplays likes this.
  10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #35 miurasv, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    John Lundin owned #0217 EL, a 212 Inter Coupe Vignale, as well as steel bodied 250 GT SWB #2243 GT.

readplays likes this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Lundin's 212 was hazelnut or metallic brown, and not nearly as neglected as the Gottwald Bros 0413 GT.

Marcel Massini

readplays likes this.
  12. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Yes, your right, thing is not many know the difference, or don't want to know, between patina and neglect.

TTR and colombo2cam like this.
  13. Roger Johnson

Roger Johnson Rookie

Feb 23, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Roger Johnson
    My family lived about a mile from Lundins. John recruited my dad, Carl Johnson, to give up on the Alfa Romeo and go Ferrari which he did and my parents became very active in the early years of the club. As membership rose the work load became difficult for the elected, officers as they had full time jobs, and my mother Janet Johnson offered to help out as the elected Secretary/Treasurer of the of the club. Years went by and she became the first paid employee and worked out of her office in Homewood, IL She and my dad retired to Florida. See PH No. 80 page 8 on her retirement and PH 184 page 10 on her passing. For what its worth I sold My 2004 575M to a club member in Scottsdale last Feb. that I owned for 9 wonderful years. Sellers remorse. I still have some interesting club chachkie from the early years. He got the second best one.

readplays likes this.
  14. Roger Johnson

Roger Johnson Rookie

Feb 23, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Roger Johnson