430 - Handbrake is Stuck On | FerrariChat

430 Handbrake is Stuck On

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fv81587, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    I have an 2006 F430 Spider and today after parking on a rather steep driveway I fully engaging (6 clicks) my handbrake and it stuck on rendering the vehicle unmovable. The hand lever still clicked but had no tension on it in either direction. I removed the rear wheels and manually moved the small arms where the cables attache to each of the rear wheel handbrake calipers. This returned tension to the handbrake lever and unlocked the wheels. But every time I pull the handbrake lever the wheels lock again and I need to manually free them. You can see in the pictures the return springs don't seem to be in a normal position (and are loose) nor are they pulling the pads back from the rotor when the handbrake lever is released. I also tried adjusting (loosening) the tension on the cable using the barrel adjustment nut also shown in the attached pictures.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the springs are not retracting the pads, returning the caliper arms and allowing the wheels to spin. I'm out of ideas so I'd appreciate any suggestions or experience.
    Thank you for the help,
    Frank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    Is the cable free to slide in and out? Do you have aftermarket headers? Your cables may be seized up

3. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    vvvmd
    Yes the cables move when I pull the hand brake lever in the vehicle and at the calipers in back but only when I physically push down on the arm of the caliper. The cable does NOT move when I release the handbrake lever in the vehicle. The recoil springs on each caliper don't automatically pull the cable back to the default position.
    Yes I replaced the factory manifolds with ceramic coated Fabspeed headers and Fabspeed exhaust. I doesn't seem to me that the cable housing would have melted as the cable still freely moves in one direction unless it's just partially melted??? Where would I look to see if the cable has melted, it wasn't obviously near the headers.
    Thank you for your help,
    Frank

4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

If possible, i would disconnect it at the caliper end to see how free it is

5. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    I had the same issue with ceramic coated headers. The heat melts the cables Likely that’s your problem. The cables aren’t too expensive I replaced my own Takes a bit of fidgeting but not too terrible if you have a lift. You should also get some header blankets

Skidkid, sparetireless and whatheheck like this.
  6. driller1

driller1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I had the same thing happen to me.
    Fab speed ceramic coated headers.
    Melted two sets over last 5 years.
    Going to do blankets before I change them again.

whatheheck likes this.
  7. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    Yep the cable is binding somewhat so the hand lever provides enough force to pull the cable but the caliper springs are not strong enough to pull it back. Replacing the cable and I'm looking into wrapping the headers. Any suggestions on type or method of wrap?

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Dont use that tape you wrap around as waste of time- go for the insulation blankets

9. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I used ceramic coating AND header wrap on my 360 and NEVER had an issue with melting or temps higher than the stock manifolds. Blankets are a waste of money; they work but they are expensive.

10. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I had the same problems, among a long list of others, with the Fabspeed headers melting the parking brake cables. Not enough heat shielding. You got what you paid for.

sparetireless likes this.
  11. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    You do not need to waste a whole heap of cash on Header Blankets !

I had the same issue a few years go after installing Headers, but as seemingly the only thing that gets affected by the heat is the Parking Brake Cables logic suggested that it is these that need protection.
    So I booked my car in at the dealership for the Cables to be replaced, and at the same time ordered a couple of Design Engineering Heat Sheaths. These were the 3/4 inch I.D. 3ft Length ones.

See here: Buy Design Engineering Heat Sheath Aluminium Sleeving | Demon Tweeks

T
    he dealer very kindly fitted the Sheaths when installing the new cables.

The result ?

After 3 years, 6000 miles, 3 track days, and 2500 mile road trip to Italy & back (yes it was hot, very hot), my Parking Brake is still functioning smoothly and perfectly. In fact it's even better since I installed new Parking Brake Pads !

So, do you need expensive Header Blankets - No !

Save yourself a heap of cash and spend $50 on a pair of Sheaths.

12. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    Thank you for everyone's responses. The cables were definitely seized up in the areas that were in the engine bay. I replaced the cables myself and covered them with the heat shielding sleeves and I also wrapped my headers with the DEI titanium wrap. I took the belt and suspenders approach because I don't want to have to replace them again. Wrapping the headers while still on the car wasn't too bad of a job but very time consuming and itchy. Parking brake works awesome now and hopefully I won't have a problem again.
    Thanks again for the advice.
    Frank

JoeTSI and brookliner7 like this.
  13. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I had a similar issue with my 360, but after installing my titanium exhaust it seized the engine compartment release cable.

I feel often times many owners forget that a lot if the weight of the oem exhaust components (including the manifolds) is for thermal insulation

14. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

This is what i put on my shifter cables. Its Vulcan Fire Sleeve rated continious 500 degree. Soon as i can ill put them on my brake cables as well
    Image Unavailable, Please Login