Happy to hear Hulkenberg is back full time in 2023 | FerrariChat

Happy to hear Hulkenberg is back full time in 2023

Discussion in 'F1' started by johnireland, Nov 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    So, he will be driving for Haas. And his last minute substitutions have shown his skill. At 35 years of age, he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Between him and Alonzo, they could make the young guys feel some heat. It is a shame he couldn't replace Mick this weekend.

375+ and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

An interesting change and he will be good comparison to K-Mag for the inside the team battle. He has a good presence on camera and is experienced and fair racer who should help the team move forward a touch.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  4. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I like Nico, but holy cow, I guess Haas just didn't feel the need for any of the young guys, maybe a result of the Schumacher/Mazepin year?

william likes this.
  5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The young guys can't keep up with K-Mag......and now Hulk.

montegoblue and trumpet77 like this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree. Releasing Mick was simply a business decision by Haas--expensive to keep and didn't deliver WCC points($).

DF1 likes this.
  7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I wonder if mick would have benefited from perhaps waiting before joining F1. Building up more skills in the junior formula. Not sure.

william likes this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think it was Eddie Jordan who once said:
    "The difference between an experienced driver and a rookie is mostly seen by the cost of repairs ".
    Probably Guenther Steiner would agree with that.

montegoblue likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    By the rules, he couldn't stay in F2, having won the championship.
    The alternative was to race in Japan, in their Superformula, or try Indycar perhaps

crinoid likes this.
  10. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Mick would be wise to move on to other roles in motor sports. He doesn't need to race to keep his father's memory alive or to pay tribute to it. It is time it found his own path to follow.

DF1 likes this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Andrea de Cesaris was a notable exception.

william likes this.
  12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I agree however I wonder if we have truly seen the full display of the extent of his skills and potential.

13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm totally stoked for this move by Haas.

sjd

14. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Just read the article on F1.com about why they went with the Hulk, and had this thought: If Mick goes to be a Mercedes reserve and all of a sudden Mercedes has a leading car in 2023....and then HAM or RUS miss a race....I'm seeing a Schumacher victory next year!

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What are you smoking ? :p

trumpet77 likes this.
  16. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Hey, it could happen! Like when Russell substituted in the Mercedes, could have won in the right car (without the bad tire change.)

17. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    I thought you were going to say…I’m seeing a Ferrari 2nd place!

trumpet77 likes this.
  18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He is back and feeling a bit of his age with the new F1 cars. Im certain he will adapt quickly. Hopefully this works well for Haas overall

https://f1i.com/news/461722-hulkenberg-felt-some-human-degradation-at-end-of-haas-test.html

Hulkenberg felt 'some human degradation' at end of Haas test
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ©Haas
    Michael Delaney 23/11/2022 at 08:23

F1 returnee Nico Hulkenberg reckoned that his was well prepared for his debut with Haas in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday, but the German nevertheless felt "some human degradation" towards the end of his day of running.

Hulkenberg last drove an F1 car at the Hungaroring last summer when he was assigned to a Pirelli tyre test by Aston Martin.

His morning stint at Yas Marina on Tuesday was halted after 27 laps by a mechanical issue, but by the end of the day he had logged a healthy 110 laps onboard his new team's VF-22 car.

But Hulkenberg admitted that his day of brushing off the cobwebs and stretching his legs had been a bit of a physical ordeal, while it also reminded of the "intensity" of F1's new-generation cars.

"It was hard, it was tough, I was feeling some human degradation towards the end of the day too. But that was to be expected," he said.

"Obviously it’s good, it does remind you, it does show you again the intensity these cars have and then you add the race to it, the competition, and it’s another story again,".

"But I have a plan and I know what I have to do."

Save for the minor gremlin that had crept in in the morning, Hulkenberg's programme went pretty much according to plan, leaving him "satisfied and happy with the day".

"I think I adapted pretty quickly and felt comfortable soon," he said.

"Yeah, there is [the fact that] it feels like a different car – it starts already when they crank the engine and the engine comes alive and the kind of vibration from the power unit [you get], every power unit is different.

"But no, I think I got used to that pretty quickly."

Hulkenberg felt there were still a few "basics" to work out before next year's pre-season testing, details such as his ideal seat position, but performance remains his main focus.

"It was work and I felt limitations, which wasn’t unexpected to be honest," said the 35-year-old. "It’s not about laptime.

"The basic [things], the comfort happens parallel, but the important stuff is the performance stuff that you identify well: where can we do better? How can we go faster?

"And pinpoint that very well and try to work with the engineers to try to find ways and solutions with that.

"Obviously next year, there’s going to be a new car so the cards are going to be shuffled a bit again and we’ll see what we get when we start working."

19. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I like the hulk. Very happy to see him back in f1