Happy weekend! | FerrariChat

Happy weekend!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F456M, Oct 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Who is doing what with their cars this weekend?

Mine is in southern Europe and I am up in cold Norway looking out to a wet, cold and grey afternoon while having some serious V12 abstinences... (living on the memories from warmer times). Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

bay likes this.
  2. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    bay and F456M like this.
  3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Just arrived in Rome for a fortnight's visit, sadly without car. Dined outside on a balmy evening. :)

F456M likes this.
  4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    A rare combination of good weather here, an event to go to out of town, and actually being in the country, means it's a Ferrari weekend, woo hoo. My very first world problem is, which Ferrari, but odds are on the 575 being unsheathed for possibly the last time this year. Though 2 years back, Christmas holidays were warm enough for a good drive in it..

F456M likes this.
  5. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Taking my 456GT to West Virginia apple picking with the wife and 2 kids. Gotta love a 2+2 with a reasonably sized trunk for the apple crates! Pics to come upon return :)

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Haha that was a new one! Yes, please post pictures. Have a great weekend to you all. Now, the weather is brilliant here (of course), so the desire for some Ferrari driving didn't get any worse to put it like that...

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    So in reply to the original question...the weather held up here in the UK and I took my 575 for a good run yesterday. Out to Oxfordshire and then Cliveden for the Literary Festival (where another guest had a silver 456). Then I gave a friend a lift back to his central London hotel.

I took some backroads I hadn't taken since I was at University and bombing around in a 205 GTI. Narrow twisty lanes, no traffic. I drove the 575 fast, and was highly impressed, given this is a long-nosed quite heavy V12. Locked the ABS up on entry into a few of the corners (oops) and even with FHP the car does squat and dive just a little bit - not much, but it's there. However its demeanour in mid-corner is fantastic, very flat, full of feel and life and excitement, it feels very wieldy, and you can really steer the tail out on the throttle and then soar through the rev range. I particularly like the way it retains composure and lack of roll in mid corner - it flattens out. I guess due to that FHP roll bar.

It's a challenge to shift quickly with the gated shifter on roads like this; on faster sweeping roads the shifter is a complete joy. I love the way it surges on torque but then really flies above 4000.

And the understated looks have grown on me since it was launched.

Last drive this year, most likely.

Pix taken at Cliveden and in Belgravia when darkness had fallen!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Great story! It is cool to reflect on the fact that these things can convert from a "garage queen" to an animal in a couple of minutes. I love the blue... :)

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Oh I gave her more than a couple of minutes to warm up...20 miles out from central London :)

Thank you, and thank you for posting this thread! She's now sadly a garage queen for a few months, unless the weather holds..

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Its wall to wall sunshine here in Rome :):):)

11. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    No need for her to be a garage queen...plenty of great driving days in the UK even over winter.

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Great driving day in the UK (itself quite rare over the winter months) X day when I am in UK X day off work X day with no family duties X day when I don't have a car to review X day when I take the 575 over another car = sadly quite rare. But the 575 trips are most memorable when they happen so I hope you're right..

F456M likes this.
  13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Bad part about winter in the UK is there is often salt on the roads in an effort to tame black ice. Our chassis are steel and not fond of salt. Here in New Mexico it is so dry, we never get black ice. The only salt is the result of relatively infrequent snow storms and the snow is usually gone by late afternoon.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Good point, Taz. I don't know if my 575 was driven in British winters before I bought it. My 550, which was from Rome when I bought it, has an underside clean enough to eat off. Same with my F512M (Spain). My UK sourced 430 needed to be cleaned underneath when I bought it.

15. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    European Winter, good point.

Here in Central Europe the roads are heavily salted between November and March.... Five to six months you should try to avoid to use your Ferrari. During Late 60ths and 70/80ths brand new cars rusted through and needed structral welding, new fenders, etc....

Have seen several Maserati/Ferrari/Lamborghini driven through winters which where quiet unsavable (according to their, then actual, value…).

Even while my Maranello spend it's previous years in Italy, it costed my some money to cure the issues like corroded screws, yellos zink plated components and laquered steel components to be brought back to originality.

Best,

Jürgen