Hard acceleration - error | FerrariChat

Hard acceleration - error

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by kambakht, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kambakht

kambakht Rookie

May 10, 2017
    Hi all - recent owner of a 2010 cali with 17k miles and loving it.
    Car runs great with no issues - but a couple of things i noticed:

1. on cold start, it starts on first go, but it seems like there is a SLIGHT hesitation (misfire type sound) when it starts, but then its fine

2. A couple of times on the highway , if I hit the gas hard and accelerate, it SEEMS to misfire, a couple of times I noticed beeps and an error which went away that I cannot recall what it was but it was something Engine Failure - take to dealer. The first time, I stopped, turned the car off and then on and it went away. Today, it came on, beeped, then I slowed down and it went away. After that, it did not happen again.

There are no error lights on at this time and car runs fine - it just seems to do it when I hit the gas hard but still not every time, just sometimes....

any thoughts are appreciated? the closest dealer is 2 hours away so would like to self diagnose first. thanks

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    If you have a code reader that can pull the codes that are stored that would help a lot, and if it is a misfire it should store that code, though it’s odd that it goes away. I had a similar issue on a work truck (granted not a Ferrari) and it wound up needing plugs, and while I was in there I put new coils on since a few of them are a real chore to get at. Solved the problem on my truck. But I knew what cylinders reported misfire from the codes I pulled that were stored. Could also be an intermittent electrical issue as it wouldn’t be uncommon.

I think a decent comparable diagnostic tool would be a good place to start.

3. kambakht

kambakht Rookie

May 10, 2017
    Thanks
    What’s a decent (preferably economical) diagnostic tool to get that this community likes?

4. f1ngerman

f1ngerman Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Muhaha Nyehehe
    I’m interested in that one too.

5. kambakht

kambakht Rookie

May 10, 2017
    I have a regular obdii scanner - does that work on the cali?

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I can’t answer that question fully but assume no since the standard scan tool isn’t able to communicate with Ferrari specific modules which I’m going to assume is going to be neccicarry, specifically in this case. Hopefully someone that has and confirm this will chime in but there is a lot of talk about certain Bluetooth scanners that have the ability to communicate and pull codes. And if I recall you can use it for live data via your cell phone which would be helpful for intermittent issues.

Then there are the obvious high dollar options which unless you plan to do quite a bit of work on the car yourself might be a poor investment. I hope that when I am ready to make my purchase there will be better options but I try to pay attention when threads do pop up about the various scan tools as I live quite far from my nearest service center and there aren’t any independents near that can do work, though can on older cars. A scan tool is handy and in some cases could show a simple repair, saving an expensive shipping trip to a dealer, that you could do yourself.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    kambakht, when was the last service done on your car? I agree with azlin75's hunch about the spark plugs. If your next annual service is up in a few months it might be worthwhile to just have it done earlier and mention your concerns to the dealer.

Several years ago someone else had recommended an inexpensive Bluetooth OBD2 tool that he used with his Cali and I bought one. It works as advertised and provides me with the means to pull codes from my car. AFAIK, only Ferrari tools will interpret Ferrari-specific codes but the cheap generic tool I have is adequate as I can always contact my dealer to ask questions before escalating and for the generic stuff there are many web resources with tables and explanations provided by knowledgeable people.

You should use SEARCH on FChat because if your car is not a new model, chances are very high someone else has or several people have already posted on your query. Here are a couple of picts I posted before. There are likely newer and perhaps better tools now available. AFAIK, the OBD2 interface is standard on all cars and I believe the tool I have can be accessed by 3rd Party apps, not just the one from the maker of the tool.

AlfistaPortoghese and azlin75 like this.