Hard start 87 328-need advice.. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Hard start 87 328-need advice..

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, Dec 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #26 soucorp, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Greg, Steve Magnusson would be your best bet on help, I just managed to get lucky on diagnosing the ignition modules on my car. However, your car does sound more like a failing crank sensor. Jay Goodman's Mondial 3.2 was on the side of the road with a broken TDC sensor off the flywheel.

I remember Steve mentioned that there are two of the three "crank sensors" used on my 3.2 (although they actually sense physical features on the flywheel) - one for each bank (so when one TDC sensor fails, that corresponding bank's ignition fails -- if the RPM/Tach sensor fails, both banks' ignition are lost).

If you have a buddy with a 328 near by, maybe you can swap the coils from his car to yours just to see if the coils are the problem before you dish out serious $$$. The crank sensor seems to be a pain to get to but I've never had to replace one so I really don't know the effort involved.

see this thread
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364375&page=5

Best
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Mike, actually, I just read your thread tonight, and left a comment! :)

Since I'm getting NO starting, I tend to believe the problem is upstream of the coils. Probably the Jetronic ECU. As I read, I'm learning about the protection relay and frequency valve.

I spark tested the rear bank tonight, maybe I need to spark test a forward-bank wire to make sure that coil isn't firing as well. That would 100% ensure it's a problem common to both coils.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the trunk apart and examine the Jetronic ECU protection relay. I saw a procedure to test the relay by pulling it and jumping two terminals. Maybe that's the problem. I suppose it could be the RPM sensor as well, but I hope not, because that thing apparently is tough to reach!

I also saw the procedure for testing the TDC and RPM sensors with engine running, but I can't do that test, as my car won't start!! Can anybody tell me how to test those sensors (resistance?) on a non-running car?

Again, I think it's something common to both coils. Upstream of them. Just my guess. And, it could be my Mirage alarm, as mentioned above. I need more info on that thing, if anybody has any ideas....

Steve is the guy, I hope he keeps chiming in--his help is invaluable..

Greg in Houston

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Jim, thanks for the tip. Indeed I do need to correct that problem as well. The pedal doesn't travel smoothly, and it's hard to tip in and catch first gear without jerking the car. Then, when shifting, the revs stay high. I know it's not the mats, I continually pull them back to make sure (plus I have Birdman's mat-grabbers!)

In the engine bay, the cable and bracket near the plenum move very freely and smoothly. Must be something upstream of that. Probably the pedal linkage, as Jim mentioned.

My first priority right now is to get the darn thing running first!

Greg

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #29 soucorp, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    IMO, I do not think its the protection relay (controls frequency valve) that's the cause of your starting issue, that would affect more of the idling. I replaced mine when I did not need to, but ended up giving my old one away to another F-chatter in need.

per Steve: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The 100% sure way to know if you have a problem in the protection relay system is check if the frequency valve is "buzzing", or not, during engine operation:

Symptoms for protection relay system problem (with everything else OK):
    cold-running = bad (weak)
    warm-running = bad (weak)
    frequency valve not buzzing during engine operation

Symptoms for O2 sensor system problem (with everything else OK):
    cold-running = good
    warm-running = bad
    frequency valve is buzzing during engine operation

Good Hunting!

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You can make the same measurement when the starter motor is cranking (you don't need the engine to be running under its own power, you just need the crankshaft turning).

PS Your 328 uses MicroPlex which only has one TDC sensor and one RPM sensor (and if either fails you get no spark on both banks); 308i and 308QV have DigiPlex which has two TDC sensors and one RPM sensor -- so that's a little bit different overall, but the basic operation of the individual TDC sensor and RPM sensor is the same for the two systems.

Saabguy likes this.
  6. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Can you help me locate this vibrating frequency valve? Again, without the car running, will I be able to test/observe it?

Greg

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #32 Steve Magnusson, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The frequency valve has nothing to do with the ignition system.

If you unplug the safety switch and turn the key "on", the fuel pump should run and the frequency valve should "buzz" (without the engine running):

Saabguy likes this.
  8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ok I won't mess with the FV. Fairly certain that my issue is ignition-related. Just not exactly sure where to start troubleshooting. Steve, you've helped me narrow it down to one or both of the flywheel sensors, or the jetronix ecu. I'll check the protection relay tomorrow, could that be affecting the ecu's output to the coils? I can try the jump test.

Greg

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No.

(You seem to be confusing items -- the protection relay provides +12V power to run the Jetronic (injection) ECU which runs the frequency valve. The MicroPlex (ignition) ECU runs the ignition system and gets its +12V power directly from the ignition switch.)

10. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    #35 PT 328, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Greg,

I know it can be frustrating to find the root cause of these no-start issues but if you want to rule out the protection relay Steve has noted how to determine if the frequency valve is operating normally. Simply unplug the blue safety switch connector note in the picture he posted then turn the car to the last key position without trying to start the car and you should easily be able to identify the buzzing sound.

11. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Alarm system may have an immobilizer...could be the culprit. When I got my 328, the first thing to go was my aftermarket alarm system. Since there are many systems, each designed differently, who knows how yours protects. My 1998 Lexus immobilizer allows the starter to run and prevents the FP, thus disallowing engine start (it's all done in the computer, though).

Since your connectors looked fine (no brown spots like mine) and relays click, actual FP less likely the cause...however, if your engine quick starts and then turns off each time, it could be a shorted safety switch:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141577683&postcount=21

A simple thing would be to disconnect the blue connector and try starting (as said before).

However, you did mention recent fuel system work (filter/accumulator); look for leaks/smell there and recheck your connections/orientations. It's unlikely the culprit since you mentioned that the symptom is present cold (thus no "vapor lock" expected), but worth a check.

Otherwise, keep searching ignition...could be a connector at the coils, or transistor.

And change your air filter if it's dirty.

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Rob. I'm going to look for the power source to the alarm, and try and disconnect it. I think I saw an aftermarket red power tap wire inserted behind one of the blade fuses. Maybe removing that will kill the alarm. ??

The car would never start and then die--it would always eventually start, then run like a champ. Until yesterday.. :-(

Air filter is brand new.

Observing Steve's symptom list, my car runs good cold and hot, so I don't think I have an issue with the O2 sensor or protection relay. I'll try the blue connector/safety switch anyway.

Just an observation-my car is rather pristine, low-mileage at 24,xxx miles, no evidence of mistreatment ever in it's life. This car had been pampered from day one, judging by its appearance, both interior, exterior, and engine bay. FWIW..

Greg

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Take a weekend morning, buy a box of Starbucks coffee, and rip that alarm out.

I did with help from an F-Chatter about 8 years ago and am GLAD I did. You've never seen so much crap. The car is better for it.

14. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Well, today, I step into the garage, put the key into the ignition, twist it, and the car starts!

This is what I meant by random: The car will sometimes start, sometimes not. Now, it took about 3 tries, but I could tell by the first crank that it was about to catch and start.

How the heck am I supposed to troubleshoot and resolve this problem, if I can't recreate it??
    It's a moving target, and I'm baffled.

I'm held hostage by this issue, because I can't take the car out for a drive with any confidence.

Surely somebody else out there with a 328 has gone through this nonsense, right??

Greg

15. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My 328 had an alarm, and the guy I bought the car from said that he had been left stranded several times due to the alarm not reactivating the ignition. He had it disabled out of frustration. So these things can be intermittant. My first act as the new owner was to have the alarm hardware completely removed. I was amazed at the extent of the wiring and components.

16. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    just a nother try i had the same problem on mine 88/328 and it was the ignition swicht it self the way i foud out when it did not start i reached behind the switch an moved the wires by hand and it would start ,replaced the switch and everthing was fine had a hard time finding a switch,i opend the old one and found some bad contacts sometimes the worked and othertimes the did not by testing them.give it a try.

17. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Hmmm. If only there were suggestions.....

;)

18. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    OK--you've convinced me. I'll remove it. I see a shock sensor under the passenger dash area, a flashing LED alongside the driver-side window pillar, and there are door-lock actuators in the doors. Where the heck will the immobilizer hardware be located? I think it inhibits ignition, since I had no spark yesterday..

I just can't imagine any other cause of this intermittent problem. If any of the F-Chat braintrust has any ideas otherwise, please chime in!

I appreciate everybody's advice here, as always.

Greg

19. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sigma, just saw your response. Wow, makes a lot of sense. I'll check that out. The connections directly behind the keyed ignition switch, huh? That switch is available for separate purchase?

Would be nice to be able to keep the alarm--the install APPEARS to be very clean, and the remote lock/unlock is NICE!!! But I'm not married to it.

I'll check it out..

Greg

20. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thought: Could the ignition switch be bad, if I'm getting a very healthy, strong cranking from the starter (when it won't start)? A bad ignition switch would result in nothing happening at all, right?

Greg

21. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm not even an armchair mechanic, but I can't imagine the starter would turn if the ignition switch was bad.

22. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #47 Steve Magnusson, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    No, not necessarily. When in Pos II ("on"), terminal 30 (+12V from the battery) is connected to terminal 15. When in Pos III ("start"), terminal 30 is connected simultaneously to terminal 15 (which runs the ignition) and terminal 50 (which engages the starter solenoid). If you go to Pos III, and terminal 30 is connected properly to terminal 50, but not connected to terminal 15, the starter motor will run, but the ignition system will not work.

The way to test this is to measure the voltage between the yellow wires on terminal 15 of on one of the coils (while still connected to the coil) and ground -- it should always be +12V whenever the ignition switch is in Pos II or Pos III. I.e., if you go to Pos III and the starter motor runs, but the yellow wires on terminal 15 of the coils is not +12V = either the ignition switch is bad, or you have a wiring problem between terminal 15 of the ignition switch and terminal 15 of the coils (assuming it isn't your alarm system ;)).

Alternatively, if you do measure +12V being present on terminal 15 of the coil when the key is in Pos III and the starter motor is cranking, but you get no spark = ignition switch is not the problem.

23. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Greg, what model is your Mirage alarm?

24. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Steve, helpful as usual. great tips. so these three terminals mentioned, they seem to be between the ignition switch and the other components. are they flowing through the fuse/relay block in the dash? Im taking measurements directly off the coil, nowhere else, right? just curious how the terminals are numbered, and where i actually find these numbers on the car itself. please pardon my ignorance on the subject, i want to learn! i do have a multimeter ready to go...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

25. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    PT, I'll find out and get back to you. would love to get some docs on it. maybe model 9000? I'll be home later...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2