Hardest and Easiest Ferrari to Clean? | FerrariChat

Hardest and Easiest Ferrari to Clean?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by YorkieMark, Nov 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YorkieMark

YorkieMark Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark Lewis
    Just for fun! What do people think?

I like to drive my cars AND I like to clean them!

I have a 328 GTS and now a 360 spider. There is no doubt the 360 is easier to clean. The aerodynamics mean the body is much smoother and so there are way fewer "fiddly" bits.

The grill on the 328 is a nightmare to clean and the louvres on the engine and cover take ages to dry off with a cloth. The pop up headlights also attract drops of cleaning water that are hard to fully dry off.

The main issue with the 360 spider is cleaning the bodywork under the rear of the spider roof - still haven't found the best way of doing that without getting the interior wet!

I would say a 360 Modena might be the easiest to clean and something like an F12 tdf might be the most fiddly.

Any thoughts? (or perhaps tips for owners of various tipos).

2. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I would say it depends on how "well" you want to clean your cars. I had a 430 and now a 458. Both have taken me around 4 hours to wash and dry, but I also take my time and clean thoroughly. Not having owned a car with numerous louvers, I can see where this would take significant time. It is my personal opinion that the "wash time" will depend on the tools at your disposal, how often you go between washes, the environment that you drive your car in (rainy, dusty, etc.), and so on. Regardless, it sounds as though you take the time to thoroughly wash everything which is great!

3. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Of my various Ferrari cars I hated cleaning my TR. the most. Dino 246, 512 BBi , 308, 360 were easy. 458 so,so. A blower is certainly a must as once you thought you were done here came the drips out of now where!

4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It takes me as long to wash the wheels and barrels as it does to wash the rest of the car. I tend to buy cars with wheels that have the fewest spokes...

As above, my 360 was an easy wash as is the current 430. No louvers for me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I'll have to ask my detailer and get back to you :p

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. More time cleaning = less time driving. My Cali is covered all over, except the boot, in PPF. So, I don't stress about a little dirt. I let the good folks at Boardwalk clean it every now and then when it's in for a spa day...T

F2003-GA likes this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Leaf blower or similar high velocity, high volume dryer is your friend. I've never seen a dealership use one though. I've seen dealerships use towels and also seen them towel a completely dry car causing enough scratches to require a full polish. Agree wheels/rims/wells/sills/lower aero take longer than the rest of the car.

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Daytona Spider is the EASIEST, Boxer is Hard and TR isn't too easy either.

9. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Having owned 3 TR's, I would say they are the worst to wash, but love em anyway.

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    if you have a ceramic coating and a leaf blower you can dry the car in about 5 minutes

11. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    can only vouch for the 550, but very smooth lines makes it oh so easy!

12. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    :D Detailing the individual door rakes of the Testarossa

Patience Level: Pure Ferraristi

13. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    The 456 is a breeze to clean, there's just a lot of surface area.

14. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 348 was a pain. Not only the side strakes (like a TR) but all the tiny loovers on the engine cover were a killer to wash, chamois, wax, and polish.

15. Roadney

Roadney Karting

Forget leaf blowers and pickup one of my favorite tools to dry your car and hit every little crevice in the grill, mirrors, wheels, engine, etc.. I haven't used a towel or chamois to dry since I picked this up. The less your touch your paint... the less chance to leave scratches.
    Metro Blaster SideKick (blasts away water with warm, filtered air to leave you spot-free)

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login