Harley Davidson...! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Harley Davidson...!

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 134282, May 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Talking about how much one enjoys riding and owning a Harley Davidson in FerrariChat is about like talking about how much you enjoy your Ferrari on a thread in the HD Forum. I love both, own both and use both. I don't care about criticism that there are better, faster, more powerful, higher tech motorcycles.....just don't care. Also don't care if people have a problem with me when driving my 458......just don't care. Would be great to see a thread here with like minded Harley Owners, alas, will jump back over to the HD Forum.

mikesufka likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is a very large number of Ferrari/Harley people and some are here. I like mine a lot and consider it the best there is for its intended purpose. But then I like a lot of different motorcycles and a lot of different cars. Some people have blinders on and think theirs is the only valid choice. I never cared too much about what others thought of my choices.

boxerman likes this.
  3. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    [​IMG]
    Rear wheel hub. There's supposed to a a ball bearing in there...
    [​IMG]
    Here's the "inner" of that same grenaded bearing.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the other half of the outside bearing. Nothing like sawing in half your wheel bearings!
    All this, after 6,000 miles...

4. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Turns out lots of riders are destroying wheel bearings at an alarming rate, on new bikes.
    Under warranty, here's what HD replaced~

New wheel
    New caliper mount
    New axle
    New *updated* bearings
    New polished rotor
    New brake pads

About a grand when all said and done. I hope these new bearings last a lot longer than 6,000 measly miles...

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I never cared much either - I owned 4 Sportsters (and also used to "borrow" my father's Softail from time to time) and loved them, much like I love my Ferrari and Jag E-Type.

For all the jokes about Harleys, they are a blast and they are a lot of fun to hop up - reminded me of being a kid, under a tree, hot rodding my various cars.

boxerman likes this.
  6. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No joke, no sarcasm... why do HD riders wear leather vests? I'm being sincere. I ride Ducati, have owned several other sport bikes and have always been wrapped in abrasion resistant jackets with built in armour. Why do the HD guys wear dangerous head gear and those silly vests?

7. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Why do HD riders wear those "silly" vests? Perhaps if you attended one of our rides to both honor the fallen military and raise money for their families, and saw over 300 HD riders wearing Marine Leatherneck MC leather vests, along with humdreds of other HD riders wearing leather vests sporting the names of their military branch or police clubs, you would have a better idea. Plus chicks really dig leather vests.

8. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ok, the chick thing I can understand:) So safe to say the vest is to demonstrate an allegiance or a passion for an organization? Wouldnt it be a lot safer to have those attached to the back of a Kevlar or leather jacket? Again, I'm not trying to be a smart ass and my sister is a cop and dad is ex military.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think they were safety gear back in the day...think leather football or racing helmets ;)

now they have significance particularly to motorcycle clubs. there's a whole "code of conduct" to the patches, etc.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The outlaw clubs call them colors, and they have very specific meanings. When a gang is wearing colors in public, it is a show of force. Back when I rode, I would always tell my buddies that if someone shows up wearing colors, I'm gone. I don't make a fuss. I just leave as quickly and quietly as I can. Don't buy the bs that these guys are just regular joes who like to ride motorcycles.

11. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce
    Vanson properf jackets are great... they have several types with ventilation. You can find them for good prices on E-Bay... a Vanson leather jacket will last decades so no real concern buying used. Be aware the sportriding jackets are a close fit.. like a second skin, so they will be tighter fitting than you might be used to.

NYC Fred likes this.
  12. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Thanks, but I have a few track suits. Some leather, some kevlar. (Fire rated, you know...)

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Just for S&G, I decided to look at Harley's line up. Keep in mind, I started riding Triumphs in the '60s, and we hated Harleys. Moreover, Harley only had two bikes. The Sportster and the Old Man bike.

First up, the 2023 Sportster line. First big negative is "starting at $13,499." Next big negative is they look like the Ducati Scrambler. I hear the engine is cool, but I dunno. I like a normal rake and trail.

Next up is cruisers. The Breakout looks cool, if it didn't have those goofy wheels. The Heritage looks like a Harley. I wish they had better colors. Plus, a fork mounted windshield can be problematic. Starting at $21,199.

Touring is next. A few years back I ferried an Ultra Glide cross town for a friend. I still have nightmares from that ride. Suspension had no compression. Brakes were not very good, and the motor had a sound track, but not much else. I recall a point where two freeways merged 8 lanes apiece into maybe 10. I had the inside lane and when I looked, there was a mutha trucker bound for glory closing up the gap on my right. He was running behind and jack balling it outta town. I was doing maybe 70 so I goosed it. The motor made a lot of noise, but nothing else happened. Down shifting didn't help. Time for Plan B because I wasn't gonna outrun him. I hauled on the brakes. ****! Hitting the compression stops at 75 is no fun. Now I understand why Harley riders don't use the front brake. Dragging your feet is more effective. I got slowed down enough to let him rock on through. It wasn't until later that the adrenaline hit. That was over 10 years ago, so maybe these bikes have improved. Somehow I doubt it.

Last is Adventure Touring. They look like real motorcycles with normal rake and trail. Cool motor. Prices start at $18K versus $24K for the big BMW. Maybe, just maybe.

Plus, what is with all these black and dark motorcycles? Come on, let's rock. See below.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    You should go test drive a new Streetglide special ...

MDS

Extreme1 and Texas Forever like this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My problem with the big Harleys is they are not made to go around corners. I prefer a normal rake and trail and ground clearance.

boxerman likes this.
  16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    What are you planning to do with it ? For cross country touring, I think they're great. If I wanted corners, I'd buy a Ducati :) Or even a Honda CBR ( had one years ago for a short time ).

MDS

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ride on back roads, maybe mountain roads. I'm too old to ride cross country. I'm also too old to ride a Ducati. Triumphs and BMWs work for me. I'm giving my opinion. Obviously hundreds of thousands of Harley riders disagree with me.

18. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Not trying to argue - just curious what you're looking for. Plenty of fun bikes out there.

MDS

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    We're good. I get it, just not for me.

20. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    So this is comical …. I bought my last Harley in 2006 - RoadKing with 60,000 miles and 14 different States under the fenders … have ridden in rain, snow, and summer days… planning a big run to Arkansas in September …. Yesterday I get a brochure from our local Harley shop … haven’t bought a bike in forever …. 120th Anniversary ? Time to ponder ? lol

NYC Fred likes this.
  21. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
  22. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Extreme1 and stretchgeneral like this.
  23. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
  24. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    The answer is "Yes"

boxerman and mikesufka like this.
  25. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Just hate to give up on my “old girl” ….

MDS