has anybody done a restomod on a ghibli? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

has anybody done a restomod on a ghibli?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ross, Nov 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    I have one I have to get from the painters with no motor due to bad workmanship at a shop. I will restomod it to be what I want it to be provided my ships come in soon.:)

2. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Just read the whole thread.
    I see that the 16" wheel size was discarded from the beginning.

I acknowledge that there are not many tyres available in 16" that would fit the QP III, especially because of its larger original 225/70 R15 XWX compared to the 215/70 R15 put on Ghibli's, Bora's, Indy's or Khamsin's.

Actually there are practically no suitable performance tyres available today in 235/60 R16 (the right substitute in terms of OD for the QP III).
    The newly released Continental ContiPremiumContact 6 seems to be a very good premium touring tyre and may fit. This tyre is available in Europe (to be noted however, it is sold as a tyre for SUV...).

There are however some interesting offers for the more common 225/60 R16 size that is a good match in terms of OD with 215/70 R15 for Ghibli's and other GT Masers of that period.
    e.g. the Continental ContiPremiumContact 2 (an older model) is regarded as a tyre with good handling that would fit quite well.

Also, there would be possible alternatives for wider rear tyres with similar OD such as the high performance 255/50 R16 BFG G-Force Sport Comp2 or Michelin Pilot Sport.
    But unfortunately there is no tyre set matching different front and rear widths with the same OD in the same brand (225/50 R16 or 225/55 R16 have a substantially smaller OD than 255/50 R16).
    So that the same 225/60 R16 tyre should best be used on the four corners.

Food for thought for those not willing to pursue the 15" XWX route or to go up to 17" or 18"...