Has anyone actually had a timing belt snap on an F355? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Has anyone actually had a timing belt snap on an F355?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by John26, Apr 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That would be a grand total of one for me. Of all the belt failures I have seen 1 has been for a reason other than the belt.

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So do you mean in like a hundred failures 99 were belt failing?

3. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Something to that effect. The idea that the majority of failures are caused by bad tensioner bearings is just not reality. In nearly 40 years I have seen that happen one time.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have seen one other 308 tensioner freezing up, broken the belts, and bent all valves failure. I have heard of one 348 pulley side walls failing, cutting into the belt, bent all valves. I also have removed plenty of old belts looking like new.

5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would think the heat these engine bays are at must be a contributing factor. Thanks for the revelation.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    348 pulley fence failure was pretty common.

I had a 355 come in running fine and way overdue for a major service. When we took it apart both tensioner bearings were frozen solid and the belts were doing just fine sliding on the back of them. A 348 design would never get away with that but the other cars the bearing is on the slack side of the belt and it is a very different issue.

In any event tensioner bearing failure is quite rare. Belt failure not nearly so much so. Was in the dealer when 308s were still new cars and so far seen one tensioner failure take out a belt. People have anxiety attacks over bearings and there is no reason.

7. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Done 5 repairs on snapped belts in the shop over e years

2 on a 348
    2 on a 355
    1 on a 308 .

On all occasions it was because the owners didn't want to change at the 5 year point

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I know of a Fchatter that had his F355 shear the teeth off a timing belt. It was 7 years from the last major service and he had it scheduled the following month for service. It happened while stopped at a light, idling.