Has anyone bought a 550 in the last year? | FerrariChat

Has anyone bought a 550 in the last year?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 1taliantrash, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    It seems like sellers are slightly delusional. I see cars listed for $120k+ just sitting. The dashes are peeling up, the cars have been maintained, but nobody is buying these cars. What did you pay if you bought in the last year, wheres the market at? I see these trading hands below $80k in world markets, why are US sellers so high priced?

2. kscarguy

kscarguy Rookie

Jul 27, 2009
    I would like to get my hands on one but your right the prices for these right now seem high ( but than again i'm a rookie when it comes to 550 pricing)

3. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    I would like to see one trading below $80 USD in world markets....

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Wouldn't we all....

5. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    Easy to find online. Good thing for you since you're in Canada, you could import one and be all in under $90k USD. I'll help ya if you want. Know of a TDF blue on tan and a dark blue on that dark tan everyone loves both under 80.

6. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    Bas and F456M like this.
  7. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Do you have a link, showing a few at $80K?

8. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    I do, but am not really interested in providing them to the general Fchat public here in case I want to buy them myself or for someone I know soon.

9. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Thought So.... And BTW the TDF you posted was a Eurospec car..
    Keep on trolling

10. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    Did ya miss that one?

11. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The only 550 that I have seen under $80,000 in the past year was a salvage title car which was priced at $65,000. Granted, that particular car had been very well sorted out by its owner and was perfectly usable but I was a bit gun-shy at dropping that kind of coin on a car with a branded title

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Well a 575, a nice Red one, F1 system, nice wheels is on BAT right now already up to $110k + $5000 to BAT with 1 day to go. So $120k 550 sounds like a deal. The car is 20 years old, most guys who want a 550/575 already have one, the ones you're seeing now obviously aren't going to be flying off the shelves there just aren't tons of buyers. BAT tried a gray one and a silver 575 and bids ended at $84k and $86. The red one now is $110K with a day to go. So I think color and condition matter more than anything else. When you look around, very few red 550 cars are for sale. The red ones seem to sell faster in both maranello styles.

13. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    There was a nice 550 on e bay recently that didn't make reserve at 64k, and the seller has lowered the reserve, but not to 64.So it will most likely go up again. Also there is a 599 for sale on long island for an asking price of 119, so whatever.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Just like anything else, just a function of supply and demand. It is true you can get cars much cheaper worldwide. like this 575 for only 75K USD but getting a proper inspection and then getting it shipped here promptly is not the easiest thing to do, but I'm sure you already know it can be done, especially if you have the right contacts.

15. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    There is a 25 year rule in the usa as it will need to federalize, $$$, really like to Ferrari hood decal and its $85K usd, with fx and fees, in the UAE no less...good luck with that!
    Give em a call and lets see if it been hit, sunburn or sand infested due to the environment.

paulchua likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Exactly, it's not the easiest thing to do. I've heard many horror stories of import worse, heck a whole movie was based on it. '1italiantrash' ' however seems to have extensive experience in this area. He might be gracious enough to share his knowledge. But as he said, it will lower his profit potential, so the OP may have just been an exercise in onaism.

Canuck550 likes this.
  17. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Yeah I knew he was a troll as soon as he mentioned I was lucky located in Canada and can import one for $90 USD....
    Has zero knowledge of fx factors and the significantly devalued Canuck buck vs global currencies

tres55 and paulchua like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A troll on fchat? No way.

JayEff likes this.
  19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    FWIW, I bought a mostly clean 25k mile 550 in the UK last summer for just over £100k. Now there are a couple of similar cars advertised around £90-95k.

$90k USD would be amazing for a properly sorted 550, but I am guessing an element of wishful thinking involved here.

paulchua likes this.
  20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    As a Canadian who searched the world for his 550, I'd love to see you find and execute the purchase of one for under $120k CAD landed, after forex conversion, taxes, duties, shipping (local and international), brokerage, inspections, licensing, etc.

Canuck550 and paulchua like this.
  21. crete 08 430 00 550

Oct 8, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Charles
    i bought in nov 2016 , found a red , black , shields and unmolested for 160 K . needed a few 550 known items . I have a blast everytime i take it out around the back side of the hill. I found what i wanted . These cars in good cond. should be getting window sticker IMO . Good luck bargain hunters. :)

22. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    There is the occasional true bargain, but mostly it's buyer beware and if you are lucky enough to be in the right place a the right time, good for you.

23. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    Having imported over dozens of cars to both US and Canada, I'm actually well aware of everything involved. Including the worthlessness of the loonie. But that doesn't jive well with your troll thesis so maybe best we just carry along like I'm not an expert at importing cars. And tres55, it's possible and if you look at Canadian Ferrari dealerships you'll see an awful lot of euro spec stock. You think they were imported because they were the same price as local cars? You do know why a dealership is in business right?
    I know you're only Ferrari owners but act a little smarter or at least be open to learning something. Doesn't bode well for your life to be ignorant.

24. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    What's your website?