Has anyone ever owned a Lotus Esprit? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Has anyone ever owned a Lotus Esprit?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by L8Braker, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Asheville, NC Thanks!

Also wow this thread generated alot of talking......I'm impressed I kinda thought some of you may trash the Esprit in favor of the F-Car but there seems to be some mutual respect. I respect that! This is a great car forum. I've been on BMW, Porsche and recently MB forums, but this site seems to be more dedicated car nuts than anywhere.

Also 2000 up has AP racing Brakes which tends to narrow my search even further.

2. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The newer interior is FAR nicer than the 97 and back IMO. You spend most of your time inside the car, so to me it would be worth spending the extra money for the newer interior.

In most comparisons I have read the NSX wins over the esprit, but as far as speed and easy mods, the esprit is the hands down winner.

I wish they would put that 350HP v8 TT into the NSX :)

3. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    In what areas does the NSX win other than maybe build quality and reliablity?

Luke.

4. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
  5. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    You are correct, it seems most Lotus and Ferrari owners get along...actually, both these groups tend to get along well with any car enthusiast. I actually know a couple of Esprit V8 owners that have both the Esprit and 355s. Ideally my garage would have an Esprit, Ferrari and Diablo in it with each one serving a different purpose.

6. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Agree, the fresh interior looks much nicer than mine.

7. davel

davel Guest

Ive owned 3 Lotus Turbo's, the last being a 94 S4.
    A few points to ponder when considering the Lotus;

Lotus Cars USA provides unparalleled customer service be it for parts or service advice. They are true enthusiasts.

Your Lotus will not rust and is very dependable. I used my 86 turbo as a daily driver for over a year.

The electrical systems are far better than anything Ive owned Italian. Out of 10+ yrs of Lotus experience, I replaced maybe 2 or 3 relays none of which stranded me or caused me problems.
    The major services are much cheaper and involve much less maintenance overall. YOU MUST DO the maintenance anyway or suffer the consequences. It is an exotic and it will bite you if you neglect things.
    The V8 has an exhaust note every bit as exotic as Ferrari although its throaty and deep versus the higher silk ripping Ferrari sound. You need to decide which you want.
    It might be good to start with the Lotus then move to the Ferrari if you have little or no experience with exotics. Each is a unique car with true personality.
    NO matter which you buy please get only a vehicle with a detailed service history and an indepth PPI by a qualified and experienced service professional. This will save you money in the long run and make the car easier to sell later if you have documentation of expensive and required maintenance. Good luck :)

8. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Oh yes, there is one other thing I must mention about Lotus that I have not seen any other car company do. Factory support. Lotus USA actually has a couple of people that monitor and respond on the turboesprit yahoogroups mailing list. They have gone as far as taking member suggestions to the head of Lotus USA as well as even taking the suggestion back to headquarters.

I have experienced this for myself. When I was performing due diligence on my car I called Lotus USA (located in Georgia FYI) to see if they could provide more information about my car based on VIN. They faxed me what history they had (everything performed under warranty) as well as a copy of the original window sticker.

9. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Chris is a good guy, he has been pushing me to buy the new Elise, but 190hp just isn't going to cut it. Sure it handles good and looks decent, but that toyota celica engine can't sound that great. The elise is a great car, just not for me. I think I'm going to try and schedule a trip to test drive an esprit with Chris. I got his name from Roadfly.org awhile back.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread.......................

11. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great thread so far. I bought an 88 Esprit (4 cyl) a few years back and loved it so much, I upgraded to the V8 about 3 years ago.

I travel constantly for work, and sometimes on the road I think about selling the Esprit since I never get to drive it. But, I get home on the weekends and take it for a long drive and realize why I just can't get rid of it. When originally shopping for the 88, I compared against the NSX and the 308, and after driving all three, it was easy for me to make my choice. Again, when considering the V8, I drove the 348, because like most you, I always have wanted a Ferrari. There was just something with the Lotus, again. I think maybe it's more "raw". I'm not sure exactly, but I really like it. (still, one of these days, I will have a Ferrari to join the Lotus)

Anyway, I guess the point is, as most people have shared - test drive as much as you can. If you find yourself in Dallas, you're more than welcome to try out my Esprit.

As for the prices, consider that only very minor differences occured to the V8's over the last couple of years, beside the interior change. It would be a lot cheaper to pick up the 97 and upgrade to the AP brakes and ECU, unless you are talking about the final run of Esprit's with the adjustable suspension and a few other goodies. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same car.

Enjoy whatever you get - you can't really go wrong!

-sean

12. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I was not aware of the suspension upgrade.......what year was that? Also I love the 2002 up rear bumper with the center exhaust.

You may have a point about buying a 97-98 and changing the chip/brakes.

Jeremy

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    What about crashworthiness?? Is the frame just a 'I' frame. I saw a pic of one that looks like it was T-boned in the driver area. Pic was blurred but looked like all fiberglass? I realize there is a kevlar safety shell around the cockpit, but how safe is that in the real world??
    Granted none of the the cars dicussed in this thread will win high honors in those insurance institute crash tests. O.k discuss...

14. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The last set of ~40 Esprit's (being finished up now or very soon) have a new adjustable shock package and air pressure monitors. Apparently, these are retrofittable, like the newer brakes, wheels, taillights, valence, etc.

As for the crashworthiness, I remember reading about the fibreglass doing well in a collision because of the ability to absorb the energy of a crash. The frame is a steel backbone, and in the doors are large metal cross braces.

15. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    I had some seat time in and S4S. On boost its a real blast. There was a lot more turbo lag then I expected. BUT I had been driving a Corvette zr-1 right before jumping in the lotus. Where the vette was an "the driver is along for the ride" the lotus is very "yippieeeeee." It felt very direct and in control. Definately an involved driving experience.

16. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    How well do they perform at the track? How fast, or comparable to other cars are they?

TXesprit - in the future, I might meet up with you in a TX or N. Texas meet to check it out.

17. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I heard from a dealer to avoid the '97 cars. Lots of little nagging problems with electrics and such which is why they are so much cheaper than the '98 and later cars.

This would fall under the same rule of thumb for just about any new model production car. Always avoid the first year.

18. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    #43 L8Braker, Dec 5, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You are correct, no matter what car always avoid the first year like the plague!

I've made my mind up and I'm going to look for a 2000 and later, if possible I'll try to get a 02 and later for the new rear end. Just like this one........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Keep in mind that there were 1996 V8's. They just never made it to the US.

20. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee

Any particular colors you're looking at?

Here's a couple that have caught my eye:
    http://www.huntingridgemotors.com/cars.php?cat=lotus&carid=195&subcat=

Check out the rest of their cars as well...they also have several others and also a 95 355 GTS

Steve Harris www.ferrarinetwork.com also has a 2000 Esprit V8 in Titanium that looks really good...it's under the "Pre-Owned Other" section.

21. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Has anyone ever been to hunting ridge motors? Its pretty close to me, and ive been meaning to check it out.

22. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
  23. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford

RED!!!!! Anything but black. My last 10 cars have been black hahaha so it is time for a change.

I'd say Red/Silver/Yellow.......and so on

:)

24. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I've never been there, but I did meet one of the owners. He might be on this forum, I know he's on the Lotus list as he has (possibly had at this point) an V8 and a 355.

25. TXesprit

TXesprit Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2001
    Southlake
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hey Schatten - I make it to some of the events up here, so I'm sure we'll meet up. Tomorrow is the Exotic Car Nights which I am hoping to make.

About the 97's having problems, there were two main things that distinguished them. 1) The original clutch was crap, and all were recalled and replaced and documented by Lotus Cars US. 2) The spark plug wells don't have drainage holes, so you have to be somewhat careful in heeavy rains, car washing. It's not a big deal, but 98- up cars have little holes in the wells to help. As far as electrical problems, they might be referring to the fact the the alternators seem to go after about 3 years, but that is not year specific. I'm not aware of any other electrical problems (and I've had none other than the alternator - knock on wood).

Most other changes through the years were cosmetic, except the revised torque-mapping for the ECUs in the 2000+ cars, although there is still an even different ECU available (as well as "Race" ECU) for all V8's. Also, the brakes were upgraded in 2000 to AP, although my Brembo's have done great with the Proterfield pads.

I've had mine on the track a few times, and it is an absolute blast. My friend/instructor is a former 2-time F2000 national champ, and his comments were "this is the most well balanced road car I have ever driven". I don't who was having more fun - me or him. The V8 is much easier to control than the 4-cyl, and you really fall in love with the torque and low-end acceleration.