has anyone used mobil 1 for their oil change? | FerrariChat

has anyone used mobil 1 for their oil change?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ignacio, Dec 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    the shell synthetic is so expensive and unobtainable if you have to add oil between changes.

2. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Just use the Penzoil synthetic, Ferrari is.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    All motor oils are required by law to be completely compatible. Quality or chemical make up may be different but they are all interchangeable.

So, topping off with another brand should not be a problem. What would be bad is running at less than the recommended level.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ignacio- Mobil 1 European Blend (or Formula) is used by Porsche and Mercedes. Their European Blend (or Formula) 0W-40 will work fine in your car. Just about any synthetic of the correct weight will work. I use Valvoline 5W-40 synthetic in my car.

The OEM Shell oils (including Quaker State Q) tended to foam too much for my taste. Have not heard any reports on the new Pennzoil Ultra's foaming yet, but Ferrari recommends it here in the States.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I use 0-40w Mobile euro formula

6. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    In addition to Porsche and Mercedes, mobil 1 has also been the factory fill on all Corvettes since 1992 which also includes the 620 horsepower ZR1.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #7 tazandjan, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
    Chris- All six of my 1992 and later Corvettes came with Mobil 1, but not the European version. That is why I did not mention straight Mobil 1. Not sure I would use regular Mobil 1 in a Ferrari. Would use the European version with no hesitation, although I prefer the Valvoline synthetic.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    I understand.
    I currently use Mobil 1 0w40 European blend as well in my f car (for street use ) .
    When tracking the car however, I have switched to Mobil 1 5W50 conventionial oil.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chris- Makes perfect sense, especially since you change the oil out after track sessions. The big advantage of synthetics is very good flow characteristics for cold starts with good viscosity when warm and flow characteristics which are not as dependent on additives that degrade relatively rapidly. At the race track, those characteristics are way less valuable.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. bmw550i

bmw550i Karting

Feb 1, 2008
    pund for pound valvoline fully synthetic 5w 40 is the best bang for buck , amsoil is great stuff to if you want to spend a lil extra $

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative. Most of the fluids in my car are Valvoline, except for the Castrol LMA brake fluid and F1 fluid.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes Mobil 1, 0-40 is in both my 360 and Cali. I have been very happy and think that it is very good in terms of oil pressure reading/ oil temperature/ rpms.

Some feel it may be too thin for high revs.

Perhaps AE Haas can give his opinion.

13. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    which F1 fluid do you use? i assume it's still hydraulic fluid :)

Justin

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Justin- So far the Fiat Tutella CS Speed, which is kind of a synthetic automatic transmission fluid. The 599 owners manual recommends Shell Donax TX for the F1 system and the power steering, which again is like a synthetic ATF.

I am running Valvoline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid in my steering, but they no longer make it. Would probably have been good in the F1 system, too.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

15. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for the reply Taz,

Originally I was just going to top off the system; since the the car is an 03 360 with 18k, I might as well just change the fluid. I realize it may not be necessary, but I like to err on the side of safe. I will try to locate the Fiat equivalent you mentioned as apparently the Shell is laced with unobtanium.

Do you think there would be any issue with running redline or mobil1 fully synthetic ATF? Both of which seem easily obtainable.

Additionally, do you reckon Mobil1 Delvac would be good in the trans? I've used it in a few other cars with nice results(smooth shifts, quiets gear whine, etc)

Thanks again and I apologize about nailing you with a ton of questions, but it seems you know your stuff!
    Justin

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Justin- I have not done enough research on the other fluids you mention. The Valvoline 75W-90 synthetic transmission fluid has worked great in my car, although one pro said that on rare occasions, it has caused limited slip chattering in some cars. Various versions of Redline 75W-90 have also been recommended by the pros, but I have not heard much about the Mobil 75W-90.

F1 fluids scare me more, so I have been loathe to experiment so far. More research needed.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

17. justinn

justinn Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Upon further research, don't use the Delvac... it's for non LSD use(which makes sense as I used it in non LSD Transaxles). Looks like I will be using the Redline :)

Justin