Has college football reached the tipping point? | FerrariChat

Has college football reached the tipping point?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Texas Forever, Oct 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All --

You know, they (whoever they are) say that on any given Sunday, any given NFL team can win.

Have we reached the point in college ball where all the teams are so good that it is unlikely for any one team to win out?

Time was, to be in the top 10 (which is all that matters), you had to unbeaten. Losing one game was all it took to drop out of the race.

But when I look at the top 10 today, the world is a different place. BYU beat Oklahoma. U of H beat BYU, and then UTEP beats U of H. WTH!

I dunno if any of you have seen a high school game lately. But, man oh man, this is not the same high school ball I played 40 years ago.

So has the bar been raised? Currently, UF and UT are probably the only teams that have a shot at no losses, but the odds are against them. In fact, only UT has a realistic chance because the Big 12 is so bad this year.

Your thoughts?

Are you ready for a playoff system?

Dale

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    College football has needed a bracket playoff system for a long time... they could incorporate the bowl games into it pretty easily too.

3. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    it's coming, it's just a matter of time, imo. season after season it seems like there's a new team or teams that are being ripped off as far as making a top tier bowl game when they're more than worthy, if there's one thing that needs some obvious fixing, it's the bcs.

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The likelihood of a college championship team having no losses is about 1:3... There are lots of very good teams now, but fewer great ones IMHO. Still the best sport all around in my opinion.
    :)
    GO CANES!!!
    BT

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All --

Look at the Top-10 schools. It wasn't that long ago that every team in this ranking, which is the only one that counts, would be 4-0 this early in the season.

College ball is becoming more and more semi-pro every day. (I remember the bad joke about players in the old SWC complaining about having to take a pay cut to play in the NFL.)

Once again, it looks like only UT has a shot at winning out because the Big-12 has turned into the Weaker 12 Sisters of the Poor.

Dale

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It sure seems like it.

Another factor, which was talked about on the AM radio yesterday was the ever increasing penalties for "unsportsmanlike conduct" i.e. "celebrating".

I'm not big on celebrating on the field after a tackle, but why the hell is it such a big deal if some guy does a little dance in the end zone? Some of the dances do get way too showy, but to me it's part of the fun of college football. These guys are still "kids" and that's what kids do.

It's become far too politically correct. "Wah wah, the other guys are going to get their feelings hurt." Nothing but a bunch of pussification, and it drastically affects the outcome of the game. Look at the LSU vs UGA game. The guy on Georgia was called for unsportsmanlike conduct. Which I and just about everyone else are still trying to figure out where that call was, because no one saw anything. That includes die-hard LSU fans calling in yesterday even questioning that call and saying that is ultimately what helped them win.

College football needs to change a lot of things.

7. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    celebrating is one thing, taunting is another.

Back in the day (1976), my HS had the second-best weight room in the state - counting all the colleges and universities - second only to Nebraska-Lincoln.
    It was amazing, and the head FB coach made most of it himself, with the help of the metal shop class. And today, most of what he built has been replaced by the REAL expensive stuff - it's still one of the top weight rooms in the state, but counting all the colleges today, I'd say it's about 5th-8th, somewhere in there.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It seems like the quality of collegiate athletic programs has broadened--the same could be said about basketball. Previous unlikely schools have joined the competitive ranks. And that said, how come the Illini still suck ass so bad?

9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    +8. Need a playoff - period.

10. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Wish I could say...being a Buckeye I was scared when Zooker came in and they got Juice at QB. Illini beat us then. Now Zooker is on the hot seat and Juice is on a "Hotseat" to keep his arse warm...I don't get it.

Go Buckeyes.

MB

11. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    That unsportsmanlike penalty on UGA was complete lunacy. There is no way that should have been called and I agree it was a huge help for LSU and helped them ultimately win the game.

Unfortunately as the weeks go buy Texas' schedule looks easier and easier, unfortunate in that I'd like to watch some good football, fortunate because it looks like we may be able to pull off an undefeated season alongside Boise? Florida? Alabama?

I still love college football, but would love to see a playoff.

12. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    You think Texas has an easy schedule? Look up the rest of the way for VA Tech...they are a lock this year. No one left over .500 Joke city.

MB

13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Because they hired Zook as their coach. At best he's a d-coordinator and recruiter. He can get the kids in but just can't motivate them.

14. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Scheduling Nebraska and Alabama as two of their four out of conference games is no joke.
    Looking at the final 7 games of the season and ignoring the first 5 is not a good measure of anyone's schedule. If you want a joke of a schedule talk about Boise State.
    BT

15. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Am I ready for a playoff?

NO.

Why not?

Where do you draw the line?

You choose 4 teams, and teams 5-6-7 will b!tch.

You choose 8 teams, and 9-10-11 will b!tch.

And no matter HOW many you pick, some will b!tch about the seeding.

So you can't win with a playoff.

And beyond that, how long do you want this season to last?

16. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    BT, I will give you Bama, but the last five years or so Nebraska isn't the team you and I remember growing up, but I digress. What I was saying is that the REST of the way they have no one left so they will likely be in the BCS championship game, which pains me because I am really NOT a fan of Va Tech.

MB

17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I'm definitely no fan of VT either. Their schedule looks pretty easy the rest of the way, but I think GT might knock them off this weekend. I would guess that the SEC winner will either meet Texas, VT, or Miami. Just a guess, but I think it is going to be SEC / UT in the championship game.
    I find it funny that most VT fans refer to Miami as Thug U when they have the infamous Vick duo as their most famous players.
    :)
    BT

18. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Would love to see GT knock them off, but do you really think Miami still has a shot at the BCS title game? There are about 6 other teams ahead of them aren't there?
    MB:)
    Go Buckeyes!