Has Ferrari production been affected by world events? | FerrariChat

Has Ferrari production been affected by world events?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wrs, Sep 29, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I ordered a 812 in January 2020 and it was in my driveway by March 30 2020. I ordered a Portofino M a year ago and still no word on when it will be built. My SA told me in July that our car was approved to be built but not when.

So without NG from Russia, can Ferrari build cars? It looks increasingly like oil and gas from Russia are going to be lost to Europe and I don't see how Ferrari can continue as a going concern if it cannot source energy for it's operations.

To that end, I wonder how much Ferrari is dependent on Russian energy.

I certainly have to believe that the German car companies are going to be shutting down lines soon.

N.B. This is not intended to be a political discussion but instead about supply chain issues arising out of the mess with Ukraine, NATO and Russia. The trouble has spread to all of Europe at this point.

I just want to know who has received their cars in less than a year lately, if any and how that compares with previous cars ordered.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You are missing the point that your 812 was effectively pre-Covid - everything thereafter by every manufacturer is all over the place - most European cars are on a year's delivery - chips and wiring looms and labor - everything is still in short supply everywhere

As an aside Italy's use of Russian gas has already decreased from 40 % to 25 % of the required total so that excuse does not really work

wrs likes this.
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    812SF was quickly produced because nearly all orders were cancelled in May 2019 due to SF90 reveal...

Italy's NG is from pipelines across land via UA and Adriatic and now from Egypt and Algeria and soon Israel, no issues other than price, Italy will have electricity.

Look at Stellantis, they recently have been halting production in Italy, supplier issues. Other online forums are discussing ongoing shortage of 12v batteries.

And, Portofino production is ramping down, unless your order is 10Red it might never get built.

4. Kmaaq

Kmaaq Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Khalid Mohammed ALQattan

People canceled their 812 orders for a SF90? What a shame.

5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I know, but that is exactly what happened, I was watching that in real-time back in 2019, I had a good friend who ordered an 812 at that time and it was delivered in less than 3 months!

Ferrari miscalculated and suffered a loss of revenue for that error. Compounded by the SF90 taking nearly 18 months from order to first delivery. Had Ferrari held off 12 months on the SF90 reveal they would of enjoyed an additional year of 812SF production.

It is also the primary reason the 812SF was discontinued less than a year later (the 812GTS was the other reason but at first only select customers could order, it was opened up for all later).

6. LuxRes

LuxRes Karting

Feb 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Fred Lloyd
    Looks like Ferrari shipped very few Portofino to the US in the 1st QTR, it picked up slowly 2nd QTR. July had 45 registered which is the high YTD.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

wrs likes this.