Has my dream of 308/328 ownership become irrelevant? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Has my dream of 308/328 ownership become irrelevant?

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, Nov 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Dave (or, shall I call you "Hugh G..."...funny..)

I like your attitude! I'm sticking with an 84-85 QV at the absolute least. Do you feel the overall trend, in terms of investment on these cars, (308/328) is going up? Or at least level?

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Will not mince words here. On a pure performance scale the 3x8 leaves MUCH to be desired compared to modern alternatives. Yet when behind the wheel driving the Euro 308GTS QV during fun romps here there is nothing i'd rather be doing. It is more than performance, it is also the sound, the feel, the smells...

And visually... the car aint half bad either :)

3. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The 328 is not fast by todays standards but a 0-60 in about 5.7 seconds is really not that bad. Yes, plenty of new family sedans will beat you, but the picture is much bigger then the 1/4 mile or 0-60. If its speed/price, then wait for the new Mustang Cobra. If its something that you want to tell your granchildren, then the Ferrari is the choice. The looks, sounds, seating position etc... Its really a lot of fun. The only problem is thats its very addictive. After 6 months of owning your 1st, your already thinking about the next one and owning both. Whenever I park mine, there are always a group of people standing around looking and wishing that it was theirs!

4. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Oh for Goodness sake.... Get on and buy it !!

John

5. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    Greg,
    Go for it but look carefully. All Ferrari owners have different attitudes and opinions about Ferraris in general. There are excellent used high milage and low unused repaired prone ones. So pick carefully as you do not want to get bad experience with your first f car purchase.
    Live your dream I guarantee you that it will be worth it.

6. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    Greg, you will buy a F. The cost is really up to you. Purchase another something else and your ultimate cost climbs.

81 Fiat Spider $5,500
    87 Porsche 944 $24,000
    90 325i $25,000
    92 325ic $28,000
    94 530i $34,000
    94 318ic $22,000

90 Ferrari Mondialt....priceless

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I could not afford the $100,000 Mondialt when new but, the way I see it, I paid more than the original sticker price before realizing my dream car.

7. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't really get what these prices mean?? Original Sticker? Certainly not current prices...

8. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    I read an article many years ago where Jeremy Clarkson (now in TopGear) were to spend a week with a Ferrari 348 tb. In the beginning of the article he describes why he, to that point, had never been driving a Ferrari. It was because he was terrified that by the end of the week, he wouldn't want one.
    At the end of the article he really worships the car though.

I think that's why a thorough testdrive is so important.
    Imagine having dreamt of a car since boyhood (I know this to be true for many people driving a Countach for the first time) and you get to drive it for the first time and the experience is just dreadful!
    Maybe you don't fit, maybe you didn't realise how bumpy or noisy or crampy the car really is and just can't stand it!

If you like sportscars in general and Ferraris in particular I think your only regret will be if you never get one.

So, go get your 3x8!

/Peter

9. 328KNB

328KNB Karting

Jun 14, 2004
    Greg, you mentioned in a previous post that this decision is about passion. Nuff said. IMHO provided you have the means the decision to buy an F-car is one you will never regret. Just follow the advice regarding condition etc and buy the best one you can lay hands on. We only live once...my F-cars have never failed to give me a rush during the 7 or so years I have had the privilege of having one in my garage.

Good luck

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    There's an ad for Harley Davidson that sums this up for me. It's similar to this (not quite accurate)

An old man is sitting on a porch swing, talking to his grandson

"It was a beauty, all chrome and black paint. You should have heard it rumble"

"Gee Grandad, did you really used to ride a Harley?"

"Well.......no. Your grandmother and I spent the money on aluminum siding instead"

Tagline: What stories will you tell in the future?

Life's too short to analyse toys. Go get a test drive, and if you like it go buy one. Even if you later decide it's not for you, at least you had the opportunity to own and drive a Ferrari for a while.

11. Gary Res

Gary Res Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Gary
    100% on the money! and very funny might I add.

12. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thank you everybody! I appreciate the spirit in all your posts. I've landed on a 77 GTB carb car that looks very nice. This could be the one. Hopefully, my next post will be one w/ pix of my new (old) 308!

PS--It's shocking to me that the 308 design is 30 years old! I became aware of it in 1983 or so.... It still to me represents to me the adolescent ideal of "What a Ferrari should look like". Normally I would NEVER consider buying an old car.....of any type........

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'm just like you. I lusted after a 308 for years and years, since I was 12. Now I have one, and there is no way I'm selling it! Sure, 20 different econoboxes can beat me to 60. BFD. What would you rather be driving, a fast econobox made by the hundreds of thousand or a beautiful hand-made Ferrari?

A Ferrari is so much more than just performance numbers. LOTS of cars are fast. No matter how fast your car is, there will always be a faster one. Who cares? A 308 is perfectly fast enough unless you are out street racing or something silly like that. A 308 is one of the most timeless, iconic and beautiful cars ever made (and I think even most non-308 owners would agree with that). Buy it, drive it, bask in the warm feeling you get when you stand in the garage and just stare at it. You will love your 308! (Beware, your wife will be jealous.)

No Ferrari purchase is made out of practicality. Buy it!

Birdman
    P.S. A 1977 with carbs is SWEET!!

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    If I were in your shoes, I would be asking myself "why" I am concerned with whether or not a purchase of a car is "relevant" to someone else. Why would what I view as "relevant" be of concern to you and your purchases? Guess I'm lost on this one.

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    :) LOL :)

Aint that the truth my brother :) :)

16. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hey Husker,

I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I didn't mean
    'relevant to anybody else/particular person." I meant "relevant in today's world of modern, capable sports cars".

This is not about "what others will think." This is about, "Does the car still provide a thrill of some sort, even though it's somewhat archaic technology. Does that make sense? I've never done anything based on public perception....

For sure the 308's appearance is still thrilling, even after all these years.
    Now, if I can only get my size 13 shoe to fit between the gas and brake pedal!!!!

17. Jayo5

Jayo5 Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    P C Johnson
    Greg, you will buy a F. The cost is really up to you. Purchase another something else and your ultimate cost climbs.

81 Fiat Spider $5,500
    87 Porsche 944 $24,000
    90 325i $25,000
    92 325ic $28,000
    94 530i $34,000
    94 318ic $22,000

90 Ferrari Mondialt....priceless

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I could not afford the $100,000 Mondialt when new but, the way I see it, I paid more than the original sticker price before realizing my dream car.

18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Well..in that event, then YES, any Ferrari is relevant! I started with a super-sluggish 1982 308GTSi and never regretted it. Bought it for $20K, spent $2K on it, drove it for 2 years, and sold it for $27K. Bought a 348, love it. You can't go wrong with a Ferrari - just put back a solid $10K "just in case" the sucker has to go to the shop for something(s) major.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No, its not irrelevant. Plenty of cars were able to go faster than the 308/328's did years ago, much less the ones that are being made today. There is something about the design that is timeless and really captures an era for sports cars and it is a fun little car to drive.

Being "underpowered" compared to the days were BMW's and Mercs are putting out 500+ hp just means you can flog the car on your favorite back road and still be doing the speed limit.

The best thing about them is they aren't that complicated. Parts are available and a "good" mechanic can still make it run. Unlike all of these computers that people are driving now. When they go off warranty, they're useless (all you have to do is look at BMW 750iL and 850i prices to know that people won't pay for a used computer driven car).

Go out and get a good one. Then drive the hell out of it.

20. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had that thought when I bought my 308.... plenty of cars out there that will simply walk it.....I mean it's 20 years old! Then I drove it home from South Carolina after purchase.... I was literally smiling the entire way.... The noise, the smell, the feeling of a dream realized.... dispelled any notion I may of had about "My Ferrari" being less of a car than others... remember also that you are buying a benchmark that all other sports cars have been judged by since it's introduction. Sure, some are faster, handle better, maybe less trouble to maintain... But once that flat plane crank gets up into the higher RPMs, there is no other car I'd rather be in.... whew... I need to go drive!!!!!

hope this helps

21. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I guess the first question is, have you driven one? When I look at a 308, when I first seen one in R&T so many many years ago, I seen it for what it really was, a LeMans prototype GT car you could drive on the street. It has a full tube frame chassis, right up through the door sills and over the roof. Fully adjustable 4 wheel independent suspension with unequal length A arms and coil over shocks. A transmission with shafts and gears equal to a one ton truck, virtually unbreakable except through utter abuse. Drop that front trunk lid into the floor to open up the outlet behind the radiator, just like a GT car, can you see it? I dont think anyone came closer to that concept than the 308/328 in any kind of affordable car. And thats what it is, a concept. It was never designed to beat the world in anything other than finess. But it did it. Back in the day when everyone was testing it against everything else, no, it wasnt the fastest even then, but it drove so utterly wonderful that no one cared. But I never got to drive one until a few years ago, only had dusty R&T mags and other sources to re-read over and over in my endless dream that never came true. So, have you driven one? My first impression was the solidness of the entire car. That car was a GTSi, and no matter how hard of a bump we hit, the car was like solid steel riding on air, firm, yet smoothe, just so solid. I have really never drove or riden in a car that didnt flex, that you couldnt see the fenders move or see the body twist or hear it creak, something. But not a 308. I cant speak for a 350Z, but I know it has no tube frame like a 308/328. You climb into these cars and you just know, you feel, that your a part of something very special. That somewhere there were people who "built" that car, not something thats just another number. Its a Ferrari, and no matter if you like it or not, people are going to see it and know its a special car. People dont look twice at 350Z's. At least I don't. People will make total fools of themselves and make U turns to see a Ferrari. Now you got me fired up again, I gotta keep fired up and get that bastard running for spring, lol. Personally, If I was going up from my 77 GTB, I'd go straight to the 348. Again, I never have even so much as sat in one, but it has to be awfully close to being like a 355, and its bloody fast enough for just about the most hardened power junkie.

Paul Colberg
    77 308 GTB

22. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Greg,
    F**K it! Go for it man. I too debated, then thought, "What am I waiting for?" I had two other cars, one a Pantera with gobs of power but there is NOTHING in the world like a Ferrari. Sometimes in the summer I've thought, maybe I should have gotten a pool, but you can't drive a pool!

23. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    LOL!

Good point!

/Peter

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think Greg has left to go to buy it! LOL!

When he dropped over he had the Ferrari Tshirt and the Ferrari Hat on.....all he needed was the car! Thanks guys. I think we've hooked up another one.

;)

25. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    OK! OK! I'm close to making a decision on a 77 308! I'm working on getting a PPI. Anybody care to comment on the longetivity of these early 308 engines, as they lack Nikasil cylinder liners, etc....?